1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DO YOU REMEMBER YOUR FIRST SHOOT OFF?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    do you remember your first shoot off? the night before my first shoot off, i was up reloading till 2am. i was using a mec reloader, i ran out of shot, so i added the shot to the wrong container, placed it into the power container in error. by the time 3am rolled around i thought i was able to pick all the shot out of the powder container. the next day, i shot 16 yd targets at boxhorns club championship. i ran all the 16 yd. targets, something i never did before, and i was in a shoot off against 4 other shooters. most of these shooters were on the state trap team at one time or another, and i was in class d at the time. i was so intimidated, but on this day i honestly thought i could beat them. we shot the first 25 targets, we were all staright. i started thinking, i finally made it, am i the next Dan Bonnilas? on the next 25 i was 24 straight, i had a blooper shell on my 25th target and lost,the wad came out of the barrel, and i was the first person out. i learned a available lession that day. over the years i have lost shoot offs to women, children, a one armed man that use to shoot at the milwaukee gun club, a one legged man sitting on a stool, a wheel chair shooter, etc. about the only person i have not faced in a shoot off is a man in an iron lung, but i am sure that will someday happen. what i remember most is how my heart started pounding during these shoot offs. regardless, i treasure these moments in my life, win or lose. what do you recall about your first shoot off?
    steve balistreri

2. nicky

nicky Member

Steve, ya I do. When I saw this thread I was hoping it was about trap shooting and not about when you where a youngbuck and on your first date and when you first shot,,,,,, well you know,,,,,,,, back to trapshooting.

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

Yes I remember it ... I walked away victorious.

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

BTW ... did anyone else notice he said was a "D" class shooter but shot 100 straight to get into the shoot off but was the first knocked out of the shoot off because of a misfire on the 50th target? Just what class was this shoot off for? To have that many in a shoot off for "D" class that he was the first out after running 149 straight targets I would hate to be competing in his "D" class.

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Yes....doubles....Medicine Hat (Alberta) Trap Club....broke a 93 in the event...had nuthin' left for the shootoff!!

6. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Lumper...Shoot-off's for the 100 is for all,regardless of class or catigory.
    They shoot for champ, then for class.

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

Oh ... must have been a very good day for a "D" class shooter than to be in that shoot off to begin with.

8. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Smoke,

After reading your threads for all these weeks, I beginning to wonder if you might be full of it.

Blue

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Smoke, don't feel bad about getting beat in a shoot-off. I got beat by a blind man in a shoot-off. Talk about being disapointed!!!

Gne J

10. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Blue, you seem to be very astute. J.W.

11. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

No I don't remember the first shoot-off. But I clearly remember the last one. I also clearly remember the best advice I ever got concerning shoot-offs "Do better in the event so you can avoid a shootoff".

12. Lyle

Lyle Member

My first shoot off was at the Idaho State Shoot for the Handicap Championship. I fired a 99 from the 20 yard line with my cracked stock, bent ribbed 870 field gun. Tied one other guy who had 99 from the 27. I won the shoot off, the trophy, the money with a 24 of 25 in the shootoff.
    I was hooked.

Lyle

13. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

I lost to a more seasoned shooter. We're still friends and shoot together sometimes.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

14. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Wow I started thinking a little,have had many shoot-offs over the years. The first shoot-off was a club champion doubles. I was shooting the best shooter in the club. Both rounds were ugly, but after 50 targets, I had that championship, I was hooked too. My first ATA shoot off was a singles, class thing. Some old bitter guy who shook my hand and said "this won't take long." Well he was right, I was out in 25 targets. My most memorable shoot-off was two years ago when I got to line up with my first all-american. I vowed if I got to this point I would not loose. Well I missed my first target out in the pair of doubles, but when we got to the 72nd target he shook my hand and said nice shooting. That AAA buckle was sweet..........

GS

15. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I once lost a shoot-off to a 14-year old who beat me by shooting his first 25-straight! Just another day for me, but a day that he'll never forget!

Porcupine

16. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I have yet to be there. I'll let you know how nervous I got if I ever get the chance.

Martin

17. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I remember it like it was tomorrow.

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Yes, I was on the 20 and the other fellow was on the 27. I won. What a joke, it was apples and oranges. I was a nobody, and he was the best around. Typical at most shoots: an unknown win's.

19. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

Yup, at the Grand. Vandalia Handicap and I ended up 7th. It was great just being in a shootoff at the Grand.

Mike

20. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

My first and only (so far) was for a flat of Gold Medals. Went up against a guy I shoot with all the time. We both are about the same skill level, him on the 22 and me on the 23. He'd miss one then I'd miss one (LOL) but I finally won 23 vs 22. Afterward we were laughing about being nervous since we shoot together quite often.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.