1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you reload different FPS loads for the yardage

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmunsell, Jul 17, 2013.

1. jmunsell

jmunsell Banned User Banned

you are to shoot. Lets say 1145 for the 16 then 1200 for the 22 for instance to try and make the point of aim the same. Not that you actually aim per say. Or do you just use the same load throughout all yardage's?

2. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

I use the same load for all 3 events

3. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

1st in doubles lighter than #2. The 24yd line seems to be the place to bring out the hcp loads, with 16yd loads ok through the 23.

Best... mike

4. bigeoj

bigeoj Member

I do exactly that. 17.5 grns Red Dot,WJ wad,Ched. primer Nitro or STS hull=1145fps. Bump the grns. to 18.5 for 20-23 yds.= 1200fps. Change to Green Dot 22.0 grns for 24-27yds=1250fps. Joe

5. jmunsell

Seems to fall along personal preference. I was told by a seasoned shooter to lighten the load at the 16 so the difference you had to point ahead of the bird would be close to the same at longer distances. I really didn't find it much help in fact I shot worse but that was the first go around but I think I will stick with 1200fps at all distances.

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Before you believe to much of this BS ask for shooting records.

Don

7. jmunsell

Hehehehe. I knock him off the line many times in the games we play. He's a good shooter though. I think it is all what you get use to like anything else.

8. bigeoj

bigeoj Member

Leo H. III uses 2 3/4 dram(1145fps) for singles, 3 dram (1200fps) for hcap. all 7.5 shot. If I recall correctly from his video he uses 1 oz. of 8's for first shot in doubles and then follows with the 2 3/4 dram for the second shot. No need to look up these shooting records!!! Joe

9. Scootermac50

Scootermac50 Active Member

I thought Leo shot Gold Medal Handicaps in the Paper variety? I shoot 1145 for singles and dubs, handicap for that. Fairly decent success to this point.

10. jmunsell

hmmmmm. I guess it's something to try and if it improves your score then go with it but if it but if it doesn't then abandon it and go back to what you was doing and try and perfect what your use to. Have to watch out for mes sen up what your use to though. However it makes you start thinking again and that may be just what ya need, concentration. Ya think? lol

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Not that Trap is my priority these days, but I liked 1 oz at 1250 for 16's (also my old Sporting load), and 1 1/8 oz at the same speed for Caps.

Since a two yard reduction to the 23 yard line, I see no need to shoot the Caps load.

Lately, my Bunker load (24 grams at 1350) seems to do anything I need when I shoot the 12.

Body cavity searches not allowed, this is what I used. LOL