1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DO YOU RECALL THE BEST XMAS GIFT YOU EVER GOT?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I told my family that we are going back to an old fashion type Christmas. We will have a nice family meal, We will sing Christmas songs, the grandkids get one small gift each, adults get nothing, and we will all go to midnight mass. When we get back home, we will all eat a big breakfast. I am fed up with spending lots of money for toys. If you want a toy, place a clothespin in a plastic milk jug and shake it. My wife thinks I am becoming Scrooge, but we are getting back to basics.

The above is how my family celebrated Christmas when I was a child. We were poor as my dad was injured at work and was laid up for over a year. In fact one year my parents were so poor that they gave my brother and I a pray book that we had to share.

My best gift I ever received was a brand new leather Andy Pafko baseball glove. Share your thoughts with us on what your childhood Christmas were like and what was your best xmas gift that you ever received.
    Steve Balistreri

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Gift of life. Survived near fatal double bacterial pneumonia. Got out of the hospital a couple of days before Christmas 2002.

Best present was the S&W Model 18 Combat Masterpiece in .22 LR my wife gave me on our first Christmas.

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

When I was eight years old I got a real Spalding football signed by Johnny Unitas. My Mom was a nurse at Walter Reed Army Hospital then and some how got it. Of course I had to share it with my brother, and over the years he can't find it. Ya right.

Wayne

Edit

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Best Christmas gift as an adult was my Browning Hi Power. It's a great pistol and a J.M. Browning classic. But the real reason I love it is that my wife went into a gun shop and bought it for me. That meant an awful lot to me because she does not care for guns. Wow, what a surprise.

-Gary

5. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

Getting to look out the window of a plane headed back to the States after I finished a year long tour in Korea on December 25, 1982. I knew it was time to go home because it was snowing with thunder and lightning at the same time. I have never been back and don't feel like I am missing anything.

6. senior smoke

Wayne:
    What a very nice gift. I live in Wisconsin and Back in the 60's I was and still am a Packer fan. Some of the greatest games I ever saw was the Packers and Bart Starr vs. the Baltimore Colts and John Unitas. I always thought that Bart Starr was a very smart quarterback, but for plain skill no one I could beat Johnny U. I hope that someday you can get that football back.
    Steve

7. Don S

Don S Member

Daisy Red Ryder BB gun when I was 12 years old.

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

A Schwinn bicycle. It turned me loose to expand my "territory". I could now go fishing whenever I wanted and go as far and a fast as my legs would carry me. It set me FREE!

9. senior smoke

THE REBEL:
    Congratulations to both you and your wife. In this day and age it is nice to hear something nice like this.
    Best of luck,
    Steve Balistreri

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

The Rebel is a great guy...fun, funny, and friendly (and a good shot, too). He is still one of my favorite trapshooters. I know that he and Mrs. Bell are very blessed to have one another. This couple is a great inspiration to all.

John, I want you to know that I finally DID get a real trap gun...LOL!!!

My best Christmas present of all time was the TM-1 (well, it was a partial present, because I had put down some money on it myself). That is the gun that carried me through my first year of ATA shooting. That present tops any I've ever had, including my first Barbie when I was little and the brand new skidoo TNT (snowmobile) when I was in high school.

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Rebel - I to am married to my best friend. I married her when I was 58 so we wont make the longevity you have made but I am envious. It is a wonderful thing to hear that you two are happy all these years and you are still shooting at your age.

12. RJ

RJ TS Member

I Met Miss Katie on April 1st. of 1962 Which was April Fools Day which fell on a Sunday that year. We dated two years before we got married. That was 1962-1964. Married March 27, 1964. It was Good Friday that year. The following Sunday of that week was Easter Sunday. We flew to Key West Fla. for my first duty station. We married as I was home on leave right out of boot camp, Great Lakes Naval Training Center. This comming March will put us at knowing each other for 49 years and Married 47 of those years. Thanks for indulging me with this!! And now, for the best Christmas present. I am Married to her and will be 47 years this comming March. And we now have two Beautiful Ladies and one Handsome young Man. These are our Grand Children. All Three are smart, healthy,strong and fun to be with. That makes for a great Christmas present in my book!!!(Rich.inAz.orinnameonly)

13. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

Must have been 1959 or maybe 1960 when I was 9 or 10 years old. I found a Belknap single barrel open hammer break open shotgun under the Christmas tree with my name on it. Probably cost $!5-$20, but she sure was a beauty to my young eyes. Nice as this was,the best present came later that day--tramping through the woods at my Dad's side, hunting for squirrels and rabbits with my first "real" gun over my arm. Dad showed me how to safely handle it, cross a fence, load and fire,etc. One of my very best childhood memories of my father.

14. Tommy67

Tommy67 Member

December 25, 1983 when my youngest son Matthew was born.

15. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Age 13, got a Winchester 290 22 cal rifle. WOW!

16. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

1956 - I was eight years old and had received my first English Setter pup for my eighth birthday the August before. Hidden behind the Christmas tree was a used, (four shells,) 16 guage model 12 Winchester and a box of shells with four missing. (Dad paid a guy at the steel mill $50 for the gun, the case and the remaining shells!) The dog has long passed, but the gun is still in my closet! Martinpicker

17. senior smoke

recurvyarcher:
    The TM 1 is one of my favorite guns of all time. In fact I am treating myself to three new guns. A new in the box Ithaca Perazzi TM1, a nib Winchester model 12 pigeon grade, and a nib mx8. I use to be a Remington 870 collector and I have three nice ones put a side for my three grandsons. My wife doesn't think I need three new guns, but I do. My son just walked past and read what I am writing and said if mom gets upset with you, you will be lucky to purchase a Daisy BB gun. I told him I'm the boss, I better go, my wife is coming and I don't want to upset her.
    Steve

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Rebel, Congrats. You my man, are one lucky SOB! Neat post. Mom and dad are a few years behind you.

19. paul e. stark

paul e. stark TS Member

My brother and I once got Teflon coated Snow shovel's

20. gotbass

gotbass Member

Christmas of third grade we lived on a ranch outside Livingston Montana, I got a new 26 inch bike, rode it in the kitchen on a stand with blocks on the pedals so I could reach them. Rode in the house til spring as there was no riding it in the snow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.