1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you really think X wad patterns better than Y?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Zoom.Golly, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

Do you really think Brand X wad patterns better than Brand Y wad? We're not talking specially wads, e.g. "spreaders", but the normal one-piece plastic wad with over-powder cup, plastic cushioning legs, and a shot cup. Say a factory AA, versus a Duster, Claybuster, Versalite, ans DownRange clones of the AA?

FWIW, I don't. I pick a wad by fit, price, and local availability. They've all worked.

If you do, how did your arrive at that conclusion? And data?

2. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

The purpose of a wad is to seperate the shot from the powder.There all the same. Now sit back and wait for the screaming to start.

3. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Hell no! Wads are like fishing lures. Why do you think they come in so many shapes and colors.

4. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

I found i have a better patterning gun after switching to briley extended chokes, i also found my scores going up after going to a green duster.

Then again, it could all be in my head. but when i think things are good i seem to shoot better, and if im shooting better it MUST be because im using the best coke and wad...unless thats just what im thinking........

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I found more differences in wads when using Riefenhauser hulls. Specifically, the Gualandi Rex was the best performing 24g wad, the Gualandi Spark and the B&P Z series wads to be the best performers. The B&P T2 wad was lousy, at least in my shotgun. Others swear by it for 24g. I swear at it.

For domestic hulls, I got the best results using Federal 12S series wads in GM hulls, and Rem wads in STS hulls. I don't know why, but I never had any luck using Winchester wads in STS hulls. However, the Green Duster does work.

The best patterning wad for 24g and 7/8oz in GM and STS hulls is the Federal 12S0. The DRM pink is okay, but not great.

I'm happy with the patterns I get now, so I keep it simple. STS hulls for everything. Fed 12S0 (the new one's say Champion wads) for 7/8oz, Rem TGT-12 or DRM TGT-12 for 1 ounce, and either the Rem Fig-8, the DRM Fig-8 or the RDRM Windjammer for 1 1/8oz.

6. racer

racer TS Member

I had a Parker SxS that only liked the pink AA wad in the right barrel. I lost my two pattern sheets or I could prove it! Wow!

7. OhioSkeetShooter

OhioSkeetShooter Member

Yes I do! I started with the standard AA wad (DR or CB replacement) and I shot decently with them. In the past month I switched to the Spolar Gold wad (made by DR) and watched what used to be decent breaks turn into smoke. Loads that I was using are.
    16.8gr Hodgdon Clays
    Win WAASL wad
    1oz of West Coast Magnum Shot
    in AA or STS hulls

And

16.5gr Hodgdon Clays
    Spolar Gold (1oz AA pattern)
    1oz of WCM Shot
    in AA or STS hulls

-Wes

8. Straight50

Straight50 Member

What Sterlingworth and Johnny said! That being said, I do like the Down Range stuff over others I have used, simply because they seem to load slicker in my Mec 9000g. No clicking and clackling! As to whether one shoots better than another, I have not seen that.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have been using the X wads for the last 22 years, and they are the best for Hdcp shooting

GB
    DLS

10. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Downrange has the biggest selection of lures. They'll have one to tickle your fancy.

So far, this thread is nothing but hot air.

11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Pattern only makes a difference if the bird flies through it. Other then that it is marketing, and if the gun goes BANG, and the bird does not break, YOU did not put the pattern in the right place, at the right time.

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The hot air will keep this thread at the top

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Well if there is one thing Johnny knows alot about, it is hot air. That is because 99% of what comes out of his mouth is in fact hot air. The other 1% is just plain bullshit.

14. trw

trw Member

Its been quite a while ago, but 'Handloader' magazine used to publish the results obtained with dif wads using similar components. Published dif's as far as I could tell at the time were minimal as far as patterns went.

In the same breath, you need to spend some time at the grease plate to have confidence it whatever your wad of choice is & that assumes you are using a load where the pressure is both published & safe.

FWIW, I have observed better patterns in some hulls with certain wads. It makes good sense to use a wad designed for the type of hull in use, i.e., straight walled hull vs. tapered.

I find the talk about less plastic & powder fouling to be moot & of no particular value. Keeping your gun clean & freshly lubricated or ready for fresh lubrication after use is simply common sense, unless you wish to have issues of some sort at some point.

Back to your original question, 'No there may be little dif, but you need to verify that for yourself on the grease plate."

Kind regards, tw

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

X=Y=same? NO. Not in every barrel. Some overbored barrels require a wad with an expanding base, otherwise, part the chamber gas will blow past it creating an odd sounding shot. Usually that sound leads to another, lost?? With shotguns and loads, it's tough to make matter of fact statements and be 100% correct in all instances.

HAP

16. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

grntitan , thank you for proving my point and supplying that gust of hot air.

hap, some barrels are overbored to the point they should be considered defective and wads shouldn't be judged by a defective barrel. sam is obviously asking about a difference in wads, not barrels. Wads will make as much difference as powder and we know how much fun Neil had with that subject. trw's response is the typical "eyeballing" of a few patterns and just more hot air.

17. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

Hap - I will concede that RXP wads may perform badly in those types of barrels, but that is a function of their anemic over-powder cups. They are the one type of wad I have found to function poorly in Federal/Estate hulls, but again that is a function of their wimpy over-powder cups.

I also found Figure 8s and TGT12s a PITA to load in Premier hulls.

But the original question was how they patterned.

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

sam.browne, as I stated above, it depends on bore match. Years ago when I used the Rem RXPs, my gun loved them with the blend I used. Shot some terrific scores also.

Johnny, I enjoy Neils myth busting as much as anyone but he's still learning also?? Green Dot powders come to mind suggested by the pheasantmaster as being a top handicap powder?? Neil concluded also through his tests??

As for over bored barrels, I leave that to the experts since most all my barrels are factory or very close. Manufacturers lately have offered barrels way bigger than standard bores? I wonder why if they are considered "defective" as you state?

It's still tough to make statements of absolute fact when talking shotguns and loads?

HAP

19. oz

oz Active Member

If your barrel is in the right place when the shot leaves the barrel, the target will break. period.

20. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Hap, I remember Neil's test that showed a few more pellets in the GD patterns but it wasn't significant and we don't know if it would be repeatable. Could be different next time.

As for large barrels, you know that manufacturer's will make whatever gimmick they think will sell. I haven't seen any evidence of gain so why risk going there?

"It's still tough to make statements of absolute fact when talking shotguns and loads?"

I think a most of what people worry about concerning shotgun patterns doesn't really make much difference at all.

Search tags for this page

why is one wad better than another in shot shell