1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you really get your gun to shoot 4 U?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I actually go to extremes to get my gun to shoot where I want it to, I have my pattern that I want saved in the garage, when I get a new gun I make it shoot to that POI.

Combs on most factory guns will not adjust to fit me, I make it fit me/ Right hand castoff, and make longer pins for comb height.

Release trigger must be 56 Oz set and 28Oz release.

Pattern must be 110%- Full choke for Hdcp--Improved Modified for 16 yds.

Sight picture a very tight figure 8 Middle bead buried into front bead.

Change front bead to the small one that Chris Vendel sells.

I cut the stock to ZERO pitch and 14 1/8th inch LOP

All this information is saved and engraved in my memory when I trade guns.
    Lots of guys want my guns after I get them trained.

90% of shooters shoot a gun that shoots too low for them, you can tell just by looking at the target breaks on 25-50 targets shot at.

An occasional smoked target is not good enough, 95%+ should be smoked.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Well, I dunno how to shoot a gun with a POI that high. When I raised the comb on my gun my scores went into the tank. When I had a Pull trigger, I probably stopped the gun momentarily before pulling the trigger. With a Release trigger my barrel is still climbing a little at the moment of truth when I let er go. My POI is about 9" high at 40 yards with a little space between the beads so I shoot off the barrel with the front bead only and the receiver does not block any of my view. I'm certainly not trying to criticize the POI that you shoot since a lot of good shooters have a real high POI but I guess I have old habits. Also on a new stock does a lot of Offset instead of castoff allow you to keep your head more straight instead of it being turned into the comb ?? I don't understand the advantage of Offset compared to castoff.

3. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Gary, I'm kinda the opposite...I don't have any trouble getting up to the odd target that floats a little high, but the one that stays flat will screw me. I used to smoke the 80% regular targets, get low/solid hits on the 10% high targets, and miss the 10% low targets. I reset my gun so that I get high hits on the flat targets, solid hits on the regular targets, and shoot the skirts off the high targets. Nett result is a huge drop in smoked targets, and almost a 10% increase in targets hit. I'd rather hit 100 with 10 smokers than hit 90 with 80 smokers. My gun is set to optimise my score, at the expense of the quality of my breaks. FWIW. Cheers-Graham.

4. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

There are more people that need the gun to shoot much lower than what you are always preaching. My trap guns shoot 70/30 and thats all I need. I will be glad to compare my averages with you if you like.

You keep saying that most guns shoot to low for the average shooter, I disagree. I say POI is a PERSONAL thing and must be adjusted for that person alone. I also feel from my 30 years of shooting almost every kind of target out there that most people shoot best with a gun that shoots somewhere between 60/40 to 80/20. I feel it's a natural act to shoot in front or over a target, kind of like a quarterback leading the receiver.

I was once at Ray Stafford's gun club in Colorado and had no guns with me as I was building the pools for a 24HR Fittness in Arvada. He loaned me his personal gun to shoot a round with, I was using new Federal light 8's and I missed 17 out of 20 before I walked off. I held the gun everywhere from on the ground to three feet over the house, high shooting guns are not for me. He then removed his release trigger and put it in a standard MX-3 for me, I then broke 24 X 25 from the 27 with the MX-3.

My experience with sporting clays is that most shooters use either a 50/50 to 60/40 POI. Bunker shooters the same. The only game that I have ever needed a high shooting gun was pot shoots, here the targets were as high, wide, and fast as they could throw them. Usually shot from 27 to 50 yards behind the trap house, here I used a "modern" 12 ( a Winchester model 12 tricked out ) that shot between 90/10 to 100% high.

The point is that every one of us has a personal point of impact that works best for them. And of course I know about Campbell Jr., Stafford, Kiner, Robinson, Gravestock and others that shoot high shooting guns. But don't forget the Bonillas, Orlich, P. Ross, L. Harrison III, Ohye that don't.

If you want to do something postive for the new shooter try explaning how to find your personal POI, not try to convert them to yours or mine.

Tom Strunk

5. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I shoot a beretta that shoots 80/20, and that's plenty high to me.

tony

6. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I am going to work on getting my gun back down from 100% high. Took a Harlan Campbell clinic and haven't quite figured the 100% high out yet.

I am a one eye shooter and went from AL-391's stock to a KX-5 and a Browning O/U for doubles. Using the guns above I shot AA singles scores - 25 yard line and A class doubles.

Switched to a Kolar Combo and now sporting a B - 22 - A mindset. I am going to tweak the gun in the morning to shoot where I was shooting until it was changed to the 100% high setting.

I believe Phil Kiner (in my notes from his clinic) stated that 1-eye shooters need to shoot lower than 100% high.

Wish me luck.

FRedmon

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

It's fair to say most, but certainly not all, new shooters shoot fairly slow when compared to a competition shooter. Such shooters will break far more clays with a 50/50 or possibly a 60/40 POI in the beginning. It's all about timing to make the correlation between the clay and the reference point on the gun used and how long it takes that person to do so. When a new shooter develops his timing to a target, breaking them sooner, that may be the time to explore different POIs as he moves back in yardage. Small degrees of change work best regardless of what the top shooters do but its something each shooter has to find for his personal timing to break clays.

Hap

8. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

The only gun factory gun I've shot was the franchi o/u spoting with the cast off, constant 23 ,24's.wish I had brought 2 of them.The only other gun is my 1100 trap t.Cast off is the secrect for right hand shooters.

9. oletymer

oletymer Member

Getting a gun to shoot as you like it is very important. I will have to say 30 some years ago I won high overall at at shoot. The guy I beat in the shoot off said that I chipped quite a few targets. I could only say that I had the buckle and trophy so that was all that mattered.

10. ram2008

ram2008 TS Member

This question pertains to Dr. Longshot's post here about Chris Vendel selling small bead front sights. I emailed him, but he may be busy. Does Chris Vendel ship these front sights, and what kind are they? Does anyone here have any contact info that I can use to connect with him? I checked Brownells, etc., but theirs are alittle large. I have a BT-99, and the front sight distracts me while shooting, and going back to the hi-viz front sight, and aiming the gun! Maybe a smaller bead sight will help me concentrate on the bird, and not the front sight so much. All info will be appreciated!
    Thanks, Richard

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Have you tried painting it black with a magic marker? HMB

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

put a mid bead on the front if you want a small bead.
    Joe

13. Gil

Gil Member

I agree with Tom Strunk. Everyone needs his own poi and not necessarily high or low. My experience comes from a Beretta SO4 that I shot in Europe for 15 years. Beretta made it and I shot it. When I returned to the US I bought a Ljutic as I needed a release trigger because the targets were too slow and I could not make the adjustment from Olympic to US trap with pull triggers. I had a tough time getting into AAA 16s with the Ljutic. I bought a single barrel for my O/U and tried to get it to shoot in the same place as my Mono gun. I was amazed at how high the mono was shooting and could not get the O/U to get to the same height. Because of this problem, I dug out the SO4 and patterned it. I was astounded. It was even higher. Since I shot so many Olympic target with it, I thought I could take advantage of those targets by moving the mono to that height. I did and now generally keep AAA in 16s. My O/U doesn't have a movable comb so I will put a PFS on it after the season is over. I shoot doubles with the O/U and don't want to change mid-stream. My point is you need a poi that works for you. Not high or low, but one that shoots where you Look. Shoot a few hundred straight-a-ways from 3 until you can reliably puff most or all of them. George Miller

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

ram2008 Take it off the gun completely if its not there you can't look at it.

Bob Lawless

15. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Leaving for the California State Shoot before daylight tomorrow morning. I'll check back on this thread June the 29th. I figure someone will want to take me to task by then, till then.

Good luck to all shooters at their state shoots, as most are happening now.

Tom Strunk

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I think there is much truth in this thread.. But especially for the new shooter.. It's the beginning of a long trip.. I think most start out at about 50/50.. As they progress it goes to 60/40... then maybe 70/30.. Some keep going higher.. and higher.. and do well.. I was not one of them.. When I shoot often.. and keep my swing going..it kind of fades out for me at 80/20.. Today.. I'd be back to 50/50.. or something close to it.. Your style.. and POI is an evolution of speed.. and ability..and knowledge.. No one size fits all.. My coach Bob Miller shoots a 100/0.. Only when I was at the top of my game could I shoot his gun.. and his release trigger.. I've never been able to shoot any other release in my life... Anyway.. However you need to do it..with whatever POI you need or want.. BREAK'EM ALL... All Good.. Mike

17. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Freddie--send me an email pkiner@philkiner.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.