1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you prefer different POI for games?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 20yard, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I find when shooting games a flat shooting gun seems more natural as birds are falling more often than rising. For those of you using high POI for singles do you stay with same for games or change the settings? If you don't change, do think about a different sight picture when you are the 2nd or third shot in an annie oakley?

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I can't change the POI on my gun. It takes a lot of practice to hit falling targets. Sometimes I'll stand at the 16 and try to take them a few feet off the ground. Having a fast, consistent shell is a must. JMO

Size 7-1/2 shot with a muzzle velocity at 1295 fps. drops 9" at 60 yards. Just something to think about.

Wayne

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I shoot my duck hunting gun!

4. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i shoot a slightly higher POI for games- basis the farther back , there is more shot drop and it takes a lil longer for the shot to get there when shooting them on the way up! 80% POI-- now, if you shoot "your own rocks" and really worry second about those falling rocks--they'll never knock you out---30/1000 choke- 1 1/4oz 6 shot- 1250fps

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I leave my adj. rib at 20" inches high all the time, for everything.

GB
    DLS

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I use my 870 Comp for wobble 'cause it shooter flatter than my Ljutic...

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

TO me your call bird is most important and as such keeping your same POI. Its the one that will get you knocked out quickest.

8. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I don't change POI, but I practice hitting falling targets just before the ground when I get bored durring a trap shoot and know I am already out of the money. Sometimes I also try to see how fast I can break targets. AJ

9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I think 70/30 or 80/20 works best for me, although I've shot with 90/10 and 120% at games, but don't do well at falling targets as with a flater poi.

I have a friend who is AA/27 who shoots games with 120% gun and does very well on falling targets all the way out in 90 to 100 + yard range.

I like seeing the target above the barrel on impact something you can't have with a 50/50 shooter. It always gets down to what works best for you.

Surfer

10. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Shoot with two eyes and shoot your doubles faster. You should never have to shoot a dropping target if your shooting trap properly.
    Joe

11. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Joe,
    We're talking about games, Annie's and other long range shooting where many times the target is out 90 or 100 yards and a few feet off the ground and the only way to hit it is to be way under and sometimes way in front.

We have a club who throws continental/wobble targets at 80 + mph. The trap is set to throw the widest, lowest and highest tagets the machine can throw.

Buddy shoots are off the 30 yard line and Annies are 60 or more yards back and off the to one side. Fifth or six shot in the Annie's is common and the targets are falling like bricks.

Are you suggesting we doubles???

Surfer

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

90 to 100 plus yards? Now that I would be interested in seeing! Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.