1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you or why do you need to apply a finish to alu

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by g7777777, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Do you or why do you need to coat aluminum?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok you purchase an aluminum frame from one of the manufacturers for a 45 for example

It isnt aluminum- it is an alloy

Why do some people think this needs a coating or finish of some type beyond oil?

I am looking for facts to see if I really need to do this or not

I am leaning towards- I dont think I do

Regards from Iowa

Gene

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Gene.... For what it's worth, I polished the receiver, top lever, forend iron, latch, and trigger on my Perazzi MX3 Special a couple years ago. I polished it to a very high gloss finish that most folks mistake for chrome. It gets wiped down after every time out with a cloth with some Scotts Liquid Gold on it, then buffed with a soft rag. Still looks as good today as the day I did it. Many shooters warned me against doing this saying it would rust right away, etc. Well, that never happened. Every shoot I attend, I get compliments on how nice the gun looks.... I don't see any reason to coat your alloy framed gun. I also have a Kahr CW9 that has an alloy slide assembly and I only use Breakfree on it and have had no issues... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. 51mgb

51mgb TS Member

Aluminum will oxidize when exposed to free air long enough. Anodized aluminum prevents this from happening. If the exposed aluminum is wiped dry of with a substance that leaves a film (like light oil), it probably won't be a problem. Aluminum does have some trouble when mated with dissimilar materials.

4. 87AA

87AA TS Member

All aluminium used in manufacturing are alloys of some sort. Certain alloys provide different characteristics including corrosion prevention. Any coating, including anodization, provide increased corrosion resistance. Does aluminium HAVE to have a preventative coating? Not really but any coating will extend its life. Also the higher the surface is polished the better for fighting off corrosion. This coupled with some sort of wax or polish is effective in preventing corrosion. Just look at American Airlines livery which has more unpainted surface area than painted. The real key with aluminum is not allowing corrosion causing substances from invading the subsurface grains. I can tell you from experience that no matter how highly polished and shiny a surface, if you have corrosion eating away, unseen, below the surface...you're fu*k. Also keep in mind that once corrosion starts, it will continue until physically abated. The deeper the corrosion is the more compromised the structure will be.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Anodizing aluminium also hardens the surface, giving it wear resistance. If there are parts moving against the aluminium, the aluminium should be anodized. Anodizing is very thin, but it's tough. My old SIG/Sauer P-220 has almost all the finish worn off the steel slide from carrying and use, yet the hard anodized frame still looks like it just came out of the box. This is also typical of S&W aluminum frame revolvers. Their aluminum frames often look new, while the barrels and cylinders are worn.

6. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Mac 1 is correct. Although alot of aluminium is also clear coated with a lacquor. Like aluminium rims. Also brass has a coating of clear lacquor.But on a surface that is going to be handle alot lacquor will wear quick. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.