1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you need to give home phone to buy gun?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by X Trap 2, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Was shopping for a trap gun prices for a neighbor so I could let him know if there were any deals.

While at the gun store I saw a pistol I liked and decided to buy it. I have a CHL, so I filled all the paperwork out and was ready to pay for it. They scanned my drivers license in the cash register and asked for my phone number. I gave him my cell number but commented that I don't return calls. He then ask for my home number I told him I did not want to give it to him.

He then went and got the manager who wanted to know what the problem was. I told him I did not want to give my home phone number out. I showed him a business card with my cell number on it. He said that I had told the salesman that I do not return calls and that I would have to give him my home number or he was not going to sell me the gun. I told him that he then could just keep the gun and left.

Just because I would have given him my home number would not have meant I would have returned his call either...

I called ATF and had to leave a message and was not home when they tried to return my call.

P.S. You can put my address in the computer and it has my phone number there, if he really had wanted to obtain it..

He could also look it up in a criss cross directory.

Question is: Does the ATF require you to give a home number or was it just him??

Now I also have a trap shooting friend who is hard of hearing and has no phone at all. Ray

2. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Nope, I only use my cell phone.

Next time, just don't comment that you don't return calls. Don't know why you'd share that piece of information anyways.

3. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

I know lots of people who don't have a home phone. They use their cell for everything.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I never give a correct phone number or zip code to a cashier. If you pay with check might be store policy. Most times number and zip code are for marketing. Was this a large chain store or small gun shop. I pay cash for all my guns, gun license all that is required.

5. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

During an ATF audit, the agent said that the Bureau suggests putting the customers phone number on top of the ATF 4473. This provides an easy resolution to any questions or problems that might pop up later. The 4473 doesn't go anywhere and stays with the dealers files.
    Mike Battista

6. guncase

guncase TS Member

Ray,,, your telephone # isn't a secret as you might think. with your full name, spelled correctly, I can have your # is 30 seconds!!

You were just being a jackass and trying to impress some $7.00 an hour clerk with your importance!!!!! Along with your buddys who replied to your thread!! Zip code???? what's up with that??????????

7. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

When the local gun shop I trade with started using a new computer system they began to ask for a phone number when selling guns (long or short). I figured it was a question prompted by the software they were using that prompted the question.

I too have been known to make up numbers when shopping at big box stores and since I pay cash it isn't usually a problem.

8. bgf

bgf Active Member

It probably was a store policy as to how your were paying. Your cell phone with no comment would have been sufficient.

What gets my goat is Radio Shack. I go in to by a patch cable or some minor thing and they want my life history. I tell them to just sell me the item...take my money or I will go somewhere else. They want to spam you into oblivion.

Bernie

9. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Give a fake number. Say the local police dept number or whore house if you know one. Say you don't have a phone. I have never been asked for a phone number except when at a department store on a warrenty item. I then say I don't give that out in a tone they don't ask again.

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

When asked for a phone number at any retail store I always reply "NONE" and leave it at that, never had a problem ... I only ask that any ladie who has my number put it on the walls of the rest room when they use it, so I have a constant flow of new people to talk to ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Give them their own number. Tell them if they wanted to reach you, that's the most current number that they can reach you at. Then just smile.

It's not required to provide a phone number to purchase a firearm, but there may be some local requirement or store policy. It's probably not worth making an issue over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.