1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you need to break in a new barrel on ar15

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

Well after reading lots of articles and getting more confused, I decided to purchase the new S&W M&P performance center 5.56 1-8 twist camo stock. I had a chance to shoulder one at a local store,liked the fit and feel, found a better price on line so I will take delivery next week. Scope is Trijicon 2.5 -10 accu point. Have to get rings and mount when gun arrives. Bore site and then what. I have questions what steps do you take to break in the ar 15?. I have shot many bolt action rifles but this is totally new to me. What bullet weight would you start with? I know it will take some time to figure out what ammo does best in this gun. I have a burris tripod but not with me will have it sent next week to help in shooting for groups and fine tuning. Suggestions please TY

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I've never broke in any of the barrels on my AR15s and they shoot just fine. Just shoot it.
    I would try out some 65 or 66 gr bullets for a 1/8 twist.

3. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

He is one of the main people that make and sell rifles & barrels for Camp Perry High Power shooters..Grubby

http://www.compasslake.com/instructions.htm

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

The difference is that if he bought a M&P he's probably not using it as a precision rifle. For a defense/battle weapon you don't need to break in a barrel like you would a precision rifle.

5. striper

striper Member

Thanks for the posts. The info from Grubbyjack was very helpful. This is a performance grade S&W and plan to use for varmint and pds. For now paper will have to do. TY guys for the help

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

If you are using it for varmints then I would break it in like mentioned above. What length barrel do you have on it?

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

remember, most AR barrels are chromed so the 'normal' break in process is perhaps not necessary...

I would certainly go through careful and extreme cleaning initially, but I suspect I would NOT do the fire one round - clean barrel - fire two rounds - clean barrels, etc. that one might use on an un-chromed barrel.

8. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

If you didn't already buy the Trijicon check out Horus Hawk scopes. Front focal plane scopes and a great value for the money.

9. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

White Oak is the other highly thought of AR builder with another version
    of barrel break in. I use John's version. It has worked well for me.

http://www.whiteoakprecision.com/info-faq.htm#breakin

10. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I have the same rifle. It does not have a chrome bore. I bought
    for IPSC matches and dogs. I did not give it any special brake-in
    procedures.Shoots 3/4 inch with my 60 grain reloads.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Bffffttttt, just clean the packing grease out of it and shoot it. It's just that simple.

And as noted, if it has a chrome lined bore, you'll never break it in anyway. The chrome is too tough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
do you have to break in a new ar 15
does s&w have ar15 break in procedure

how to break in a new ar 15

how to break in a new ar15