1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Move Voice Releases??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Porter, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I made it a habit to move the release for the shooter following me and did so for several years. One day a shooter asked me not to move his release because he was penalized once for shooting from the wrong yardage because a fellow with good intentions sat the release at the wrong spot. Now I don't move and I feel like I am impolite. (It's a Southern thing I guess) Sometimes it think I should tell the following shooter why I don't move his release but ususlly don't. So, I guess the point to this for me anyway is to let other shooters know that just because someone dosn't move the release it may not be a sign or rudeness but complying to someones wishes even when it dosn't always seem right. I sure would not want to cause a shooter to lose targets by my mistake.
    What do you think??

2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Why don't you check back within the last 30 days and this was hashed and rehashed.

Don

3. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Myself, I don't always get a chance to view this site. I don't give a hoot if this has been hashed and re-hashed. I would like to know what folks think about this gents legite question.

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Jimborn: Just stubborn or to lazy to look.

Don

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Jim: I let the shooter move his own mic. In this way he can place it any place he feels comfortable. I also, would prefer that the shooter I follow would do the same. But if he does I do not care. There are times when there is 1 or 2 yards difference in yardage on the same squad. I really don't want to have to remember what yardage the person following me is shooting.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

7. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi Jim,
    I think it's a kind-good etiquette thing to do. I try to always look before the round starts where the shooter behind me likes the mic and try to put it there for him after we get the command to walk. I don't see anything wrong with moving it for him. Sounds like this guy you're referring to was an ass. Don't let it bother you. It's his problem not yours. Sometimes we forget this is a gentleman's game. Like golf. Respect the trapfield and workers by not popping empties all over the place. keep 'em, toss 'em in a trash barrel at the end of the round. That's something i've tried to remember to do the last couple of years. A thoughtful notion to something like that means someone at the end of the night gets to go home a little earlier. I bring all this up b/c I've been guilty as heck for littering on the trapfields. Never too late to clean up after yourself!!
    Good topic to bring up!
    thanks, -powderburn
    Patrick Fitzjarrald

8. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Hey - people who appreciate the game and respect the people they shoot with will always move the handicap microphones for the next person. Yes, it is just good old Southern Hospitality! the beav

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I do, I was politely informed it is considered trapshooting courtesy. However; with the advent of ERADS. Standing speakers may go the way of wired telephones. ERADS are the way to go & with the addition of a new wireless control that enables the scorer to disable the releases, it is great. Comparisons would be like going from black & white to color tv.

Phil Berkowitz

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I don't care if the guy before me moves the mic for me or not really just as soon not, but I'm not gonna' make an issue of it if he does. I'll prob'ly reposition it anyway and I always make sure I'm standing on the correct yardage before the shooting resumes, that's MY responibility not his. Likewise I don't make a practice of moving the mic for the next guy either.

I realize this "move the mic for the next guy" thing got started as a courtesy but personally I think it's a silly little distraction.

John C. Saubak

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

To be fair If I am shooting with a Chair or Handicapped(physically)shooter I will assist them in any way possible. Not out of pity but respect because most I have met are much more dedicated than I am.

As for the rest of you if you can walk to the line to shoot you can handle your own speaker stand. Most of you don't resemble ladies so you are on your own don't wait for me to be polite.

After all I wouldn't want to turn over a new leaf now.

Bob Lawless

12. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Some times but not always. Usually squad with same yardage shooters so doesn't often come up. Not a big thing either way. I would like for the squad in front of me to move the mikes back if they are short yardage. That would be considered a courtesy by me. Post-2

13. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

No. I have enough distractions already.

14. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I am with Phil B above. What with the Erad's, it's pretty much like it was before voice calls. You walk up to your yardage and start shooting. No voice calls to move and or bump and a bunch less targets thrown between posts.

It seems to be the future and I am happy that the Great Falls Trap club is in the know. I still remember hauling calls and cables and boxes out to the traps to connect. Not to mention the problems if a cable is broke, or the calls don't match.

Rick in Mt.

15. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I think it's common courtesy to move them,much like opening a door for a lady.Jerry

16. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Move your own is what I suggest when I lead a squad. That way there is no way somebody else could give you the opportunity of shooting from the wrong yardage:)

FRedmon

17. trapshootr288

trapshootr288 TS Member

I usually do, but more so out of the fact that I shoot lefty, and I like the mic in some really weird positions, especially in handicap (for whatever reason), so in handicap I usually move it and 16s/dubs usually not.

I view it more as courtesy than anything, I don't expect to do it but I also respect the people I shoot with so thats just my 2 cents.

JB

18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Silly thread!

Curt

19. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Move the stand if you're on a different yardage from the shooter to your left. It is their choice to tweak it to their satisfaction. It saves time as they don't have to move it so far. As far as the stands throwing targets that is the puller/scorer's responsibility to turn off the switch so as not to waste targets. It is also the shooter's responsibility to shoot from the correct yardage....Period.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

20. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

So...everybody takes the time to move the mic BEFORE they move and then again AFTER they move to reposition the next mic to their liking instead of simply moving it once after they move to the new post, how does that "save time"?

As for the "courtesy, much like opening the door for a lady".......after you've held the door for the lady, do you then expect the lady to in turn hold the door for the hairy legged ol' guy behind her?

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.