1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you mix shot , new &reclaimed ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jdhog, Aug 20, 2013.

1. jdhog

jdhog Member

Was wondering if anyone has mixed new shot with reclaimed ,and what were your results .
    Thanks for looking .
    JDHOG

2. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

JDHOG..........Yes on a few occasions I did......BUT could see no difference in breaks etc, etc. Only for 16.s. SO, I no longer mix and just shoot what I load. Not worth the effort. "run'em"

3. Red Dot 1

Red Dot 1 Member

The best mix results are if you select only reclaimed #7 shot with reclaimed #8 1/2 shot mixing in equal parts with a final mix of equal parts containing new #9 shot. The different shot size mix will smash targets like you have never seen before.

4. redfin1956

redfin1956 Active Member

for the past few years, 3 parts new to 1 part reclaimed. anything to save a buck. joseph

5. jdhog

jdhog Member

Come on there has to be more comments !!

6. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Someone help me, why would I compromise new shot by mixing it with reclaimed? I do shoot reclaimed for practice but see no rational for mixing with new.

Robert

7. jdhog

jdhog Member

This is what I though too but this past weekend some men at a local club were talking about mixing , because of the price , They said like above 3 to 1 .I was just wondering what others felt on it .
    Thanks
    jdhog

8. Quailtail

Quailtail Member

I mix it so it will feed through my loaders. 28ga is hell to load with straight reclaim in a MEC9000H. Even when using a 20ga drop tube. Mixed with new shot, no issues. For some reason it wants to bridge in the tube. The 12ga loader handles the reclaim without having to mix it.

9. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

NO

Kenny U

10. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

I only reload for singles and I dump what ever shot I happen to have in a big bucket. It could be home made, reclaim, 7.5s, 8s, or 8.5s. I stir them up and transfer them to my loader one soup can at a time. Works pretty well.

11. redfin1956

redfin1956 Active Member

if i shoot 100% reclaimed the pattern opens up alot,great for skeet. plus my reloader will jam up . with the 3-1 mix it all works out fine. joseph

12. Bill_B

Bill_B Member

I mix a 50-50 Blend (#9 & reclaim) for 12 & 20 gauge loads and have no problems. I do it so the shot doesn't jam in the tube...

13. Thee Craig

Thee Craig Member

not to derail, but FWIW i use factory for league nights and comps, i use homemade for practice night. i get it, its not reclaimed but same idea. i also shoot 1oz loads for practice and 1 1/8 on league night. i am thinking about maybe shooting 1 oz's on league soon too just to save that extra grain or so of powder which is getting hard to come by these days.

just my $.02

14. revbook

revbook Member

I mix 7 1/2 and 8 in equal portions by weight. All new shot. Starting doing this because I had both and thought the 7 1/2 shot would add some punch. Understand they used to sell this mix.

Don in PA

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

This seems to rank right up there with washing your hulls.

This is definetly a new test for Neil to perform. The ultimate mix for cost effectiveness/pattern efficiency.

16. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I use reclaimed in the bottom half of the shell to absorb the deformation of the shot when fired..the new stuff goes in last..next to the crimp....don't let this secret get out...it could make the 27 yard line obsolete....

tony

17. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

How many of you think your new shot is still round, and not penned when it leaves your barrel?

18. jdhog

jdhog Member

Its getting better , keep the comments coming ..
    Were all learning ..

19. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

I shoot straight re-claimed from Lead Miner on 16's the majority of the time. It's running 60% 7 1/2's and 40% 8's. This is on the last barrel our club bought. Your mix might be different. Ran a 100 16's with it Aug 10. When shooting handi-cap I mix about 1/3 New 7 1/2's to 2/3's re-claimed as described above.

Two pronged approach. I'm saving a few bucks, especially on 16's and break just as good scores. Just my current approach. I shoot around a 1,000 rounds a month at something year round. I'm actually reloading 20 guage AA's for this year's dove season for the first time in over 40 years!

With 7/8 oz re-claim, cheddite primer's, green dot and claybuster AA replacement wad's, I can load a flat for around $25.00 not counting hull cost. Doesn't sound big but add me, my wife, one son at 12 or 15 shooting days it can amount to shooting 10 flats or so. Wife and son burn a lot of ammo for a 15 bird limit but they have fun. Save's me $350 if Im shooting promo's I stocked up on early. Saves me $1500.00 or so on new shells for trap and sporting per year. Pay's for a descent trap gun every 3 or 4 years or lodging, fuel, entries, wherever you want to put it.

Money games, State Shoot or Bigger I'll probably shoot New but don't really believe you need to.

This may be too much info on a simple question but I believe we're all going to need to get behind re-claimed for cost's, environmental mandate's and pure economics into the future.

20. jdhog

jdhog Member

Thank you for that info , it truly makes sense to me .