1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you make changes in choke East to West?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    A few of us were talking at the area gun club this weekend and one of the guys mentioned he was going to do some shooting out West in the near future. We all live in the Milwaukee area and one of the guys who shot out west suggested that he drop down a choke than he normally uses here in the Milwaukee area.

He said lighter the air the pattern tightens. If you normally use a full choke drop to a Improved modified. So I asked, so if I live in California and shoot the Grand, I should go up one choke? He thought for a minute and said that is what he would do.

I played baseball years ago in Colorado and the ball did seem to go further with less effort. With that being said, I believe I would shoot the same choke regardless of what part of the country I would be shooting in.

Do any of you change chokes depending on what part of the country you are shooting? Personally, I think it's trivial at best doing this.
    Steve Balistreri

2. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Really?

3. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Oh Yea, you should see the smoke we get with Imp, Cylinder. I've been thinking about taking all the choke out just to keep me out of triple A!

Ajax

5. senior smoke

Two Dogs:
    I agree with KISS. I believe we make this sport more difficult than it really is. Frank Little always felt chokes, size shot, was trivial at best. A friend of mine in Doubles uses 8's on the first shot and 7 1/2's on the second. He thinks it saves him targets??? So if you believe it does, and it makes you more confident, more power to you.
    Steve

6. open choke

open choke TS Member

Big Leo shoots all over the country and as he says "any choke is good as long as its a full"

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Steve.. Frank Little also says, in his book, that it's best to not change anything when shooting the East coast or West coast... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Where's Neal?? If hasn't tested this it would make a great next project.

I'm going on record as saying hogwash. Won't make a useful difference. Besides tighter is better, no??

9. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I'm with Big Leo..."any choke is good as long as its a full"

Different chokes and shot may be a confidence builder..

BUT... "smoke" is a confidence builder too, Heh Heh!!.

Stan...

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Matt, Neil did some tests several years back and his tests showed patterns were somewhat tighter at higher elevations in the west.

There is a slight difference in high altitude western targets and east coast shooting but it certainly isn't in the bird breaking pattern quality. It's a secret wet dry phenomena! :)

Harem Crampbull

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thanks Hap.

So do West Coast shooters notice any measureable difference shooting at venues say at Sparta or Florida? Vice Versa?

12. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

it all boils down to the altitude your shells were assembled in. Shells from out west perform better at lower elevations, very much like taking a runner to train in the mountains and then having them run at sea level..............forgive me misses are in feet not inches so what does it matter? pattern density is a roll of the dice if it is too open did you miss or the bird fly through unharmed? choke so you know.

13. senior smoke

Trap2:
    My son in law asked to read Frank's book years ago and now that I think of it, I never got it back. I now recall that's exactly what he said.
    Steve

14. NJFlyer

NJFlyer Member

When I shot in Mexico at over 5000 feet my American shells where like shooting a rifle at the board. Changed to Mexican made shells and the pattern went back to normal.
    Ken

15. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

I am such a good and precise shot with a shotgun that I must change chokes numerous times on the line to account for the effects on the pattern during momentary changes in relative humidity, moon phase (tides) and gravitational fluctuations, solar flares, barometric pressure, quantum charge on the surface of the spinning target, and of course the atomic resonance of the barrel steel during firing.

My recommendation is to calibrate the chokes to true north rather than magnetic north to more accurately account for east/west variability. Otherwise you may miss far more targets than usual if you just switched chokes to account for air density vs longitude.

I shoot alone alot though...can't figure out why.

16. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

I haven't got a chance

17. Donm

Donm Active Member

MX. I have found that magnetic north worked better for me if I was in northern Cal. and in southern Cal. true worked the best. So I am thinking the closer you are to the north pole you need to correct more. I wonder if you are south of the equator if you should use just the opposite chokes. Like IC instead of full and so on. I am from Wi too and found that when we have a high tide in Lake Michigan I need to go down one choke. I also use a slower shell when the moon is full. I'll shoot with you.

18. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Just flush the toilet, and if the water spins clockwise change to a tighter choke.....never mind I was thinking north to south.....

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I think your proximity to magnetic north would effect the pattern only if you were using steel shot.

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

So if you go to Australia you need to get some left handed primers, right?

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.