1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you like to reload Top Gun Hulls?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I personally re-load Top Gun and Rio Hulls, I use them for registered shooting.

And I reload them for Buddy Shoot Back-up w/800-X 26 grs. powder 1 3/16ths of #6s using Windjammer wad. @ 1275 Fps.

For registered shooting I use 18.5 grs Promo Powder w/Rio Primer 1 1/8th oz
    7 1/2s for the Top Gun w/AA-12 White wad.

For the Rio load the same using Windjammer Wad

Both are soft shooting shells.

I am presently completely out of Longshot Powder.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. skipsor

skipsor Member

Been doing it for years. They reload very well for 4-5 times and then I toss them.

There are so many of them on the ground and in the barrels there is no reason to keep them longer than that.

I've torture tested a few of them by reloading them nine times. I marked them with a felt tip pen so it was easy to keep track of them. They still crimped and shot well.

Here, in southern California, we don't have to worry about them getting wet very often and that's a plus.

The shells are only shot in a break open gun so even if some part of the wad was lodged in the barrel it would be seen very easily.

The Alliant reloading guides from the mid 90's up until 2004 have 50-60 recipes ranging from 1 oz to 1 1/2 oz. for these hulls. If anyone wants them just PM me and I'll send you a copy.

3. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I've been loading them for a few years with 700X, Cheddites, and DRXXL wads or other 12SO replacements. I like them, my husband prefers them over factory shells and I've had people trade hay or skidster work for them.

4. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

They load up OK but I don't trust them. Once a base paper wad in the shell comes out. It will be the last time you will trust reloading them.
    I have it happen to me. Maybe the shell was wet. I don't know. But look in the hulls before you reload them.
    Federal Gold metal are much better to reload.

5. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

The FGM are much better but the Fed. Field & Range or the Top Gun Hull are ok for a couple of reloads - provided they have never seen moisture.

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Not many people know it but the rolled paper base wad in top guns varies in height from shell to shell. About an 1/8 is the extreme. If you've ever disassembled one you saw a wad that sets it's own height to deal with the different base wad heights.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I load them both and prefer the RIO hull, but make sure the Fed hull has not been wet. This is the only base wad migration I have personally seen in the Fed hull. This hull is once fired, range pick-up.

I have a delightful one ounce load with the Fed hull. 20 gr Red Dot, CB Red Eight wad, Rio primer, one ounce 7 1/2's.

I also have a great Bunker load for the Rio. 22 gr Red Dot, CB 2100 (12SO clone), Rio primer, 24 grams 7 1/2's. Load them once, and into the bucket.

I typically look down the pipes of my O/U's and Unsingle when I shoot.

I had a Mason jar full of basewads from the first run of 12 ga Win AA HS ammo.

8. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I really like reloading Top Gun and Estate hulls, I find enough of them that it's reload once and toss.
    Favorite load is 21gr. Greendot, 209A primer, DRHF3 and #8 shot.
    Great load for 16 and 22 yds.

9. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

what do you guys think would be the reason for this base wad migration or base wad coming out and lodging in the bbl?? when the powder ignites it would push the base wad the opposite way ?? i've never had this happen or seen this except for the pic that s.coach had. maybe i've been lucky but have loaded many, many top guns over the years. thanks for any replies, dennis

10. pretzel

pretzel TS Member

It must be the vacuum created when the wad goes down the barrel

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Shooting Coach: The pressure almost certainly had to have somehow gotten under (between the base wad and the metal) in order to push it up as shown in the pic. The only other explanation I could think of is you say it was a "pick-up" so "possibility"? it may have been a blooper and created a vacuum just as the wad exited the bbl. Have never seen that with rolled paper base wads as they usually compress and expand under pressure. Have seen brass pulled off with hull still in the chamber, and shoot-offs where the only thing ejected was the metal the case with wad & shot must have gone downrange like a slug, and of course I did see the early 2 pc. AAs do that. Ross Puls

12. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

DLS:

I actually do like reloading these TGs. We (my wife and I) don't have a lot of them, a few flats and mostly the Wounded Warriors and the pink ones. We generally save them and I load them only once.

Since they are hulls we have shot and bagged, they never hit the ground or get wet, so we have not seen any problems. I suppose we could load them again, but....

I have never loaded any of the Euro-style hulls, such as Kemens though I have found them to be good shells in the original factory loading.

Bob

13. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

There are certainly a lot of them available for just picking them up. I do like to reload them, but don't care for the burnt paper smell afterwards. I only reload them once, but they will last a few times.

I'm fussy and only pick up "fresh" ones that I know for sure have not been exposed to rain or sitting in a garbage can where soda or beer has leaked onto them.

After a good inspection I'll run every one through the resizing stage on my MEC grabber. This does 2 things, first... if any of the steel bases are over expanded from a loose chamber it won't cause a comotion while I'm actually reloading them, and second... I always let them sit in the sun (in a net bag) to be sure they are dry, and with the primer out the air can circulate.

If it helps... following is a return e-mail from alliant reguarding reloading Top Gun hulls. Question... Can I reload Federal "Top Gun" hulls with the same data as Federal "Gold Medal" hulls, and expect similar results? Answer...Yes, that is what we recommend. Thanks for your note.

Ben Amonette
    Technical Service Manager
    Alliant Powder Company

P.S. It's my belief you'll get best results with Fed 12S3 type wads in the straight walled hulls, not the tapered ones for AA's or STS's.

My favorite "pick up hull" is the Rem Gun Club however.

14. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

They load good and seem to me to be very soft shooting.
    The plastic used in the wounded warrior and pink breast cancer shells seem to be made of better plastic and they load especially well.
    The old classic load of 18gr. of Red Dot and 1 1/8 oz. shot with the 12S3 clone wad [2 3/4 dram equiv. 1145 fps.] seem to shoot very well for me at any yardage.
    This load is also superior to the factory shell.

I have also loaded many 17gr. Red Dot 1 1/8 oz. with the 12S3 to use only for shooting singles targets with reclaimed shot and the cheapest primer that I can find. approx. 1100 fps.

They can be had everywhere but IMHO they are not as good to load as the Gun Clubs but shoot softer.

15. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I couldnt get the top guns to crimp worth a darn in my Mec 9000. The gun clubs run like butter compared to the TGs, and i can load them 5 times with no worries about any of the problems with TGs.

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Using the right wad is key to the Fed Game hull.

17. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

"Using the right wad is key to the Fed Game hull."

CB 12SO Clone for 1 oz. and 12S3 for 1 1/8 oz. or for long distance in the 1 1/8 oz. DRV with 22 grs. Green Dot. A sure fire caps load.

18. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I have a problem with them holding the crimp if they sit around in the heat.It is over 100about 5 months a year where I live.

Darr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.