1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you know who engraved this 1949 Ithaca SBTG?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mclaren, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mclaren

mclaren TS Member

Hello, I’m new to the site and need some help identifying the engraver of this Ithaca. I have contacted Walt Snyder and he was a great help. There is no grade number on the water table and the gun was made for the Grand in 1949 with a blued frame rather than case colored. Please email me with any thoughts. I appreciate any help that you may have. Regards, Bill

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Looks a lot like the work of Albert Kraus, or perhaps one of his apprentices. He was the head engraver for LC Smith, but did a lot of work for other gun manufacturers like Ithaca and Lefever.

3. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

You may want to give Doug Turnbull at Turnbull Restorations in Bloomfield, NY a call. Doug is a leader in the restoration industry, and could possibly have some information for you.

They have a web site so you could find the phone number there.

Dave in SC

4. James.c

James.c Member

My lord that gun is absoloutely stunning!!!

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Did you ask Walt to buy one of his books? Also did you email him pictures? It is definetly the highest grade made at the time whatever they were calling it in 1949. Maybe 5000. dollar grade? Nice piece. Bill

6. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Is that a signature under the eagles tailfeathers?

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

God. First the Cole pictures, now this. Good thing I have an extra keyboard, the drool has to dry off on this one.

HM

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bill Mains did many of the Ithaca grade 5 SBT guns.

9. BILL GRILL

Bill Mains was not working for Ithaca in 1949 he engraved guns for ithaca from 1968 thru 1985. Also this gun would be a 1500 dollar grade. Up until 1937 it would have been a Sousa Grade, in 1937 it was changed to a 1000 dollar grade, in 1945 it was changed to a 1500 dollar grade and remained there until 1955.

10. BILL GRILL

<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00567.jpg" target="_blank"> DSC00567.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00566.jpg" target="_blank"> DSC00566.jpg </a>

Here is a picture of the water table and one side of a dollar grade engraved by Bill Mains.

11. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Beautiful Ithaca. Bill Mains was just starting as an apprencice for a watch company in Philly about that time. So that rules him out.

Todd

12. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

WOW !!!

13. BILL GRILL

Need a picture of water table and complete serial no. Interesting thought DB Bill !

14. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Bill McLaren, I don't pretend to know anything about Ithaca SBTG's or their engravers, but I'll compliment you on the photos. Those are very good pics, and oh by the way the gun is a beauty too. Thanks for asking the question and posting the photos. Now we'll hope somebody who knows more than I do can come up with a name for you.

15. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Did Walt Snyder not give you information on the original configuration of this gun? It has a European look to it. The figures look like they are not quite finished. Is this the way they really look? I like the gun a lot and would like to know the full story.

16. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.