1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Know of a Gun Blowing Up?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JBrooks, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I see we have another thread on a gun blowing up shooting a reload. Plus, I understand a relatively new XT blewup last week at Oaktree Gun Club in CA. Again with a reload.

So a question. Do you know from first hand experience of a gun blowing up shooting a factory shell? Please, no rumurs or "I think I heard about one somewhere 15 years ago".

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Nope. I've been hunting since I was 11, shot trap at 12, have been shooting targets since the mid-70's.

Only gun I observed blowing up was Rottweil, the older gent shooting it had a reputation for creating weird loads. It was a reload, not a new factory target load.

Guns blowing up always reminds me of: Bad things happen to stupid people!

Curt

3. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Approx. 10 years ago at Reg.shoot, Perazzi using reloads. Glenn

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Heard one once. Wow! I saw one with smoke coming out near the rear of the rib where it is attached to the barrel.

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

All gun explosions I've ever seen were either due to a plugged bore.. or a reload. More than one was a factory blooper..that someone shot a shell in back of it..

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The Virginia or Wv. delegate came here and claimed new Remington shells were in use when a K gun blew in southern Virginia or WV. a while back. Hap

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Fifty two years of shooting, reloading, hunting, etc, etc. Hundreds of thousands of shots fired, never...never have I seen a gun blow. I have seen the results, parts in hand, of the following:
    a. shotgun with a banana peel at the muzzle from an obstruction
    b. shotgun with bulged and split barrel ahead of the chamber from 20 ga shell in 12 ga chamber
    c. shotgun with ringed barrel, supposedly from a wad stuck...this was about eighteen inches out from the chamber
    d. Ruger super blackhawk with top strap and top of top three chambers missing from using Bullseye (22 gr) instead of 2400
    e. Smith and Wesson model 10 with four bullets lodged in barrel, no powder, just primer pressure. This one was fun to fix. Police recruit who wanted to reload to save money. Also didn't want to have any instruction.
    First four were on display at Wisconsin Sportsmen's Alliance in Union Grove about twenty years ago..they used them in hunter safety. Last one was brought in to me some time back.
    I had a shell do a funny thing last summer. Last station, first bird in the summer league fifty bird program. Called, shot...had a "whoof" sound, slid Sh the forearm back and fire shot out the port. Shell had a caved in appearance. It was an old style, old AA. I figured it was too worn to hold a tight crimp and the primer pushed the shot, wad and most of the powder out ahead of it and then the powder burned later...while I was ejecting. I got the next four but can't tell you how. The shell in question had a funny crazed surface. I went through all my empties and got rid of any that didn't look tip top.
    I remember when the AAs were introduced. It was said that Winchester was considering calling them the "Plastic Fifties" as they had reloaded them that many times in tests. I'm a little more selective now in the shells I reload, and how many times.

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I was coaching a Perazzi shooter many years ago when it exploded. The concussion blew both lenses of his glasses out of the frames and he stepped backward to me as he fell. He was uninjured but the gun was totaled. He was shooting reloaded Federal papers.

Watched another shooter blow a BT-99 a few feel away from me. Was not wearing shooting glasses and had a crease up his forehead. Was shooting reloaded Fiocci plastics with pickup wads. Gun was totaled.

I've seen several others including a trashed K-80 barrel with no receiver damage, Model 59 Winchester and a split Ithaca barrel using factory loads!!

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

About 3 years ago while shooting sporting clays, I witnessed - first hand - a Browning Gold semi-automatic blow up while using factory new shells...I recall they were Rios. The shooter was not hurt. We were watching the squad in front of us shoot the station and BOOM, with the explosion, the right side of the wood forend flew several feet, the bolt was blown back and the receiver was blown out - cracked - from the front of the ejection port diagonally down toward the lower right side of the receiver. I saw the piece of forend fly, picked it up and gave it to the shooter. It appeared the shell detonated as the bolt was almost closed. The shooter returned to the clubhouse to show the gun to the manager...I believe he bought the shells there. It was alarming. Ed

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

You should never use "pick up" wads. Most are made from polyethylene or polypropylene and will breakdown and become brittle in as little as couple of weeks in the sun. Not worth it.

11. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

870 Remington 3" shooting old Hi Power papers. Took the gun(what was left) to Pat Laib and the only thing he salvaged off it was the Buttstock.

12. model12x

model12x TS Member

I never witnessed this one, but a pal of mine was using a Browing auto for trap and only a year or two old, using Factory Winchester Super Handi-cap.Shell exploded,blew up the gun. Lots of witness,winchester replaced the gun.
    Jan 10-09, i personally was injured when a shotgun blew up.No evidence that it was the shell, or previous one(AA) that let go,or the gun or both. Gun to be sent to a NDT testing site,

GB

13. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Pheasant hunting early 90's. Walking a field and the guy next to me shot a bird and chased it in a circle trying to catch it. He had not had many chances to kill a bird that day and he was first shot. About 50 more yards walking another bird got up and he shot, sounded real funny, he missed the bird and I shot the bird. Looked over at him and he was white as a sheet. The end of his barrel was peeled back. He had stuck his barrel in the ground and plugged it while chasing his earlier bird. Factory 3" 20 ga. in a Remington 870. It is a good story to tell the hunter safety crowd. I had never seen a banana peel before that incident. Pretty darn neat the way it peeled back. Nobody hurt, dam good lesson for all involved in the trip.

14. Mapper

Mapper Member

I know of one where the guy said he was shooting new shells. My Dad witnessed it and reported to me. Blew that Ljutic all over Van Wert county. Some others where the fodder was undeterminable.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I heard an explosion on the trap next to mine at Kingsburg,Ca. at the state shoot several years back. It sounded more like a dynamite explosion than a powder charge going off! The man was shooting a Browning o/u for doubles when it let go. Blew the top of the top barrel completely off and spread the sides of the receiver but the locking lugs held the barrels in place. He suffered a few facial cuts and a few on his left forearm but nothing super serious. Our squad rushed over to help out and found the man was literally shaking with fright. Had that been me, a change of shorts would been the next order of business to attend to!! Again, it was the reloads fault, or could that same thing have happened with a new shell? I guess it's so much easier to place blame on reloads knowing some people should never reload anything. Over the countryside, reloads are shot more than new shells by a large percentage so it stands to reason when a gun ruptures, it more than likely will have a reload in it, odds wise! Some guns let go with new shells in there too.

Hap

16. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Yes. New K-80 and AA's New shells Omalanden range Delaware about 9 years ago.

It could have been any gun just happened to be a K gun.

I was in the club at the time but I saw the aftermath.

Now what the owner won't admit. I have this second hand by a witness standing next to him who I trust. They were shooting a quick round of practice and he thinks the shot prior to the explosion was a blooper that was ignored. That or another guage shell was inserted; he was a Sporting and skeet shooter.

The guy got a new gun and shells out of it! Aftr all he was a liar ahem I mean lawyer.

Joe

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I witnessed the same Kaboom as Hap MecTwekas, and later that day one of the gunsmiths had it on display.

Gunsmith said it was a guy new to reloading and had been in before shooting that morning, complaining that some of his shells were light and some almost knocked him over. Wanted to know if it was his gun causing it.

He had been shooting them all week....draw your own conclusions!

18. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

My point exactly. Stupid is as stupid does.

19. josh b

josh b TS Member

seen a skb barrel blow using factory federal ammo. guy broke the target before so we coulden't believe anything was stuck in the barrel to causeit josh

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

I saw a Rem 1100 blow once and I am convinced it was the reloaded shells the person was using. I was on the club porch and a group went to the line to shoot practice. My attention was directed to a shooter after he shot his first shell. I watched him shoot his second target and knew something was very wrong from the sound. I began to quickly walk toward the trap but the shooter shot his third, and last, target before I could get there. We found most, but not all of the gun parts. The shooter had a badly bruised hand and the person shooting next to him (Billy Martin/Radford VA) got a small cut on the side of his belly from a piece of the forearm wood. Billy still has a small scar from the event. If his belly would not have been sticking out so far, he would not have been injured.

Unrelated: Billy Martin also has a small scar on his forehead from an accident when he was loading a trap and a rather large snake appeared in the house with him. Our old trap houses served as snake condominiums between shoots.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.