1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you keep a shooting log book or diary?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jalu, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jalu

jalu Member

If you do, How detailed is the information that you record?
    What do you record?
    How do you analyze and use this information to improve your
    shooting?
    Can someone give an example of their trap shooting log book?

thanks guys,
    jalu

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

All I have is my ATA average card. It indicates if my scores are going up, down or are irregular. It does seem that irregular is my regular pattern.

Pat Ireland

3. otnot

otnot Active Member

I keep a journel and record what the weather is for the day I shoot,what I shot,what shells I shot,anything I learned and any changes to my gun that I made. I keep hotel numbers and people who I meet along the way. If I didn't write it all down I would forget 90% of it.

4. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

For many years I did and found it quite helpfull.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Yes, I like to record wind direction, speed, adjustments to the gun/shells. and I do go back and check what I've done in different conditions. Part of the hobby.

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I kept a journal when I started shooting but it became so depressing, I stopped the practice.

Morgan

7. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I keep a note book that shows how many and what kind of reloads I do, what I pay for new shells and reloading components, cost of different trap shooting accessories, gun purchases and shooting fees and option costs.
    Now the end of the year I really don't even want to see the sum of this information, but I start it new the next year anyway.

8. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Scores, conditions, factors in shooting (good/bad), and EXCUSES!

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Nope, it reminds me how much I'm spending. The scores on the shoot card are good enough for me.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

when vic reinders was living we would shoot together once in a while, but we always talked alot at the waukesha gun club. i never met a shooter who kept records like vic. after he shoot a round he would mark on a small pad of paper the exact target he may have missed during the round. he had written volumes on what was the weather like on a particular day of shooting. the information went on and on including the attendance at shoots. ask anyone who knew vic, he even kept a diary when hunted. he even knew how many shells he put through his guns. i don't know if all this information of his is in the hall of fame or not, but believe me it was very impressive. vic told me before he shot, he went over his records for that shoot, and having this prior knowledge helped his shooting. if you have the time, it can hurt to keep a detailed diary.
    steve balistreri

11. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

i meant to say"it can't hurt to keep a shooting diary"
    steve balistreri

12. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I keep a diary of # of rounds I shot out of each gun. Don't put the scores down, just the date and which barrel I used. Dave T.

13. romie

romie Active Member

GOOD IDEA
    !!!!!!!

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

ATA average card does alot of this record keeping for you. Use your shoot program for extra notes and memories.

15. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

I've got a friend who keeps track of the number of rounds shot too. It is an interesting statisic. And he is meticulous about posting to it. But in hindsight, I don't know why he does that and not the important stuff like Vic Reinders kept. I agree with Steve. Can't hurt! Although I have never kept one, I will try to buy a little book and throw it in the shooting bag. It might start me on a good habit.

16. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Yes- I can tell you scores targets wins etc back to 1977. pk

17. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

I keep my scores in an Excel spreadsheet. I track subevent scores as well as event scores, weather, memtal state, trophies won. I even have formulas that calculate my class based on a five class system so I don't have to keep looking it up. No graphs yet, though. ;-)

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

BrowningGal: Do the graphs. They will really let you see the trend's of your shooting. I've been doing trend lines for years. Change something, anything; shells, loads, gun, ect. and you will see the trend changing. I found if I change anything it takes months in some cases to get back where I was. They also prove something doesent't work, even though you think the change might be great.

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When you figure out the solution to a problem it is important to write it down. That way you don't have to waste time and effort figuring it out for a second time. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

book factory trap shooting log book

keeeping a personal shooting log

shooters diary log book

trap shooter log book

trap shooting log book

trapshooting log book

vic reinders trap

what information to put in shooters log