1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you hold a high gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RAScott, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAScott

RAScott Member

Just wondering how many hold a high gun and their hold points. I have been inconsistant and i tried a higher gun hold and let the birds get above the barrel and it seams to work pretty good. looking for your opinions.

Bob s

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I hold about eighteen inches above the trap house. I want to see the birds and pick them up. I've seen way too many people hold really high and then have a little dance and a ftf (failure to fire) when it didn't appear within their capabilities.

Station one, foot and a half above the left corner....two, a little more right, three center, four toward right, five, right corner....can see 'em all nice and clear, pick up and smoke the little discs.

I only average about 96% so maybe my opinion isn't valid. but I'm honest.

3. RAScott

RAScott Member

I have been holding just over the house and looking out for a soft focus you see the streek and the chase is on. I read something on ts last week and figured i would try it. So i held about 2feet over the house it seamed to be a slower target i also brought my hand out further on the forend.

Bob S

4. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I hold 2-3 feet over the house. But, no better than I am shooting singles you might not follow my advice. In a major slump here.

5. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Frank Little once told me that you should never hold your gun more than half the height of the target.....

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I shoot flat rib 29.5" Bunker barrels, I can move my barrel pretty quick. I hold right on the edge of the trap roof so I can see where they came out.

7. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I hold on the back edge of the traphouse and focus my eyes where the target will exit. I move my barrel on exit.

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

RAScott A lot of the answers to the question you ask are difficult to answer with the amount of information given. A lot depends on the number of eye you are using(1 or 2 any more than that and I really can't help you)and how you mount your gun. Also it depends on what you consider a high gun.

Bob Lawless

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

I agree with Bob. No matter where you hold your gun, it is important to see the bird leave the house. Shooter who use one eye (like me) tend to hold a lower gun than shooters who are able to keep both eyes open. Hold your gun so you see the bird early and clearly.

The amount of gun movement is secondary. If I keep my head down and see the bird clearly, my gun seems to automatically follow the bird and shoot the bird without any thought from me.

Pat Ireland

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I believe that about 1 in 100 can really shoot trap well if they hold a high gun. I feel most shooters would do better holding on the roof of the house.
    Steve Balistreri

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I hold under the front of the trapshouse. Where Britt Robinson told me to.

12. snkypete

snkypete Member

High or low hold I believe depends on several veriables. High hold, 3-4 feet over the traphouse helps me. As I have gotten older, reflex a little slower, I
    don't want to have to move the barrel any farther than I have to. What works well for one person may not work for another. Experiment with different holds.
    The resulting scores will give you your best answer.

Richad L.

13. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

NO!! I never thought I would say this but I agree with Senior Smoke. I will go further to say that if your not shooting at least 10,000 per year keep your gun on the house!!!!

GS

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The high hold is great unless the targets change, then you must change also ... I never know where I am going to hold until I see the targets and adjust accordingly ... I prefer holding a high gun (3-4 foot over the house) but thats not always possible ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

2-3' high hold for me........less gun movement, I also seem to see the bird better out of the house. I know a shooter who actually holds above the flight of the bird & meets them on the way down with his barrel......he is a 26 yd shooter. I think the key is to experiment & see what works best for YOU. Most of us seem to be afraid to try something different.

16. laura!

laura! Member

It doesn't matter so much where you hold your gun. What matters is that your gun fits you well and when you shoulder your gun that you bring it in tight so it's like part of your body.

17. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

laura!.... I beg to differ with you, but where you hold your gun is CRITICAL to good scores. I don't know where you got that idea, but it is absolutely not correct! It doesn't matter how good the gun fits you, or whether you hold it in tight or not, you must be able to see the target exit the house as soon as it leaves. If you can't see the target leave the house correctly, you will never have consistantly good scores... Dan Thome (Trap2)

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I hold my gun at about 10:30 in height, above paralell to the ground, I could not say how high in feet, but I make very little vertical movement to the target. I am well above the trap house.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"I know a shooter who actually holds above the flight of the bird & meets them on the way down with his barrel......he is a 26 yd shooter."

"I make very little vertical movement to the target. I am well above the trap house."

These two statements are examples of trapping the target. If you think they are the proper way to shoot just ask the AA and see how many would recommend this practice. I am willing to bet that very few of the top shooter think that trapping the target is a good practice.

BTW the way of the one that are giving the courses I would be interested to know how many teach trapping the target as a proper technique!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

20. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Last time I checked there were no "style points" involved in this sport.

If a method works well for you, use it. Why do you have to ask anyone what they think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

james forsbach and les wexner

lex wexner foxcote

trap gun holds

trapshooting high gun hold

trapshooting holding a high gun