1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have Wads or One Wad for Loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perezal, Jul 9, 2013.

1. perezal

perezal Member

Right now I have three different Wads that I use CB0175 (3/4), CB1100 (7/8 and 1oz), and CB8100 (7/8 and 1oz). Is this over kill? Should I have just one Wad I use for all the loads or do you have more than one Wad too? I reload Gun Clubs.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You really need the different wads for the various shot charges. If you load other types of hulls (Federal GM for example) you will need another complete selection of wads for them also.

No such thing as overkill when it comes to making good ammo.

3. jacksback

jacksback Active Member

I use to use the CB1075 for 3/4, but recently found that the DRXXL 7/8 works great for both 3/4 and 7/8, so have switched to that. I load in AAHS hulls primarily, so need the room for 1oz and shoot the DRA12-1 for 1oz. Since you reload Gun Clubs, either the CB1100 or CB8100 will work well for 1oz and probably 7/8, but not 3/4 unless you add a spacer like a cheerio or 20ga felt pad -- and then that complicates the loading process enough it isn't worth NOT having the proper wad to begin with IMHO.

At the end of the day, I like keeping the loading supply shelves well-stocked and as simple as possible.

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Last time I checked, I had 15 different kinds of wads in my personal inventory. Mark

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I recently got rid of all most of my Federal stuff and now reload only STS and Gun Club hulls. I use Federal 12S0 wads for 24g and 7/8ox loads, TGT-12 for 1oz, and either Fig-8, DRM Fig-8 or DRM Windjammer for 1 1/8OZ. The three 1 1/8oz wads all perform the same, so I buy either of the two DRM wads when there are no Fig-8s to be found.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Probably 25-30 various in 12 ga.

7. 548

548 Guest

Down Range Fig 8 windjammer. 1-1/8 or 1-1/16 in Remington hulls. Go through the PW like butter.

Anybody tried this wad in the new AA's? Because of the rebate I now have a stock of AA's and I would like to use this wad.

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I use basically 3 wads for the majority of my 12 gauge loading... 9/8oz AA style for my 9/8oz lead and 3/4 steel loads and a PT1260 from BPI for my 7/8+ steel loads.

I keep a few bags of Green Dusters for 1oz lead when the situation warrants...

Jay

9. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I keep appropriate wads for Remington, AA's and Federals in stock. I also like Windjammer 1 oz and Spolar 1 1/8 wads when the mood strikes:) I don't like the idea of a compromise, so I have wads that fit each hull specifically. Wads basically cost the same between brands, so it makes sense to keep the right ones in stock. But that is just me.

10. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

I use one wad. Blue dusters are working real good for 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz. loads.

11. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

548, I just loaded about a thousand of the 8 petal yellow DR in AA. combination of AAcf and AAhs. Loaded with E3 and 1 1/16 oz #9s. Thought they loaded great. I can't say better or worse than the DR Windjammer which is my go to wad.

12. perezal

perezal Member

I guess I will still have to buy three different wads then. I'm going to try to find the DRXXL wad, so I guess four different wads now. Thanks.

13. JRW

JRW Member

Well I have AA hulls and they get any version of WJ 8 petal, STS hulls get Rem RXP 12's, Fed hulls get 12SP3. If I go to 1 oz it is AA pink or clones.

14. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

Straight hull 12s3 for ounce and 1.125 oz for me.

Brady

15. FLIP

FLIP Member

Remington TGT ,,its a one ounce wad but its used in 1 1/8 nitro27 shells great wad!

16. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

Why do so many want to make this more complicated than it is?

For 12 gauge I have a Claybuster clone of WWSL and the WT12. I use these in every hull. They work fine.

For some odd reason I bought some Claybuster clones of the 12S3 and 12SO for the few federal hulls I load. I can tell no difference between them and AA types in those hulls and when they are gone it will just be the wads in the first paragraph for everything.

17. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

I'm testing new Wads to me this year since my supply of Lage-Uniwad & Claybusters WAA12 are. gone. I am very happy the Claybusters are gone, I hated the plastic buildup. I loved the Lage-Uniwad great wad for Skeet & Trap 16 yds & loaded in my MEC like butter, smooth. Only mistake I made in testing new wads is I bought 4 new wads to me Blue Duster, DRXL-1, DRXL-1 1/8, DRHF8.
    Mistake I made I bought 1000 of each, I should of bought 8 different wads in quanties of 500.
    What I have loaded so far the DRXL-1 is a great wad in the STS hull for a 1oz load. Neil Winston tests convinced me to shoot 1 1/8 oz for trap. The Blue Dusters loaded In the STS hull good & the DRHF8 loaded even better fit in the STS hull. Because of how the DRHF8 loaded I'm going to try DRRF8. I loaded 150 rounds of the DRXL-1 1/8 with Green Dot 20.3gr & STS hull Win 209 & they loaded great but, I have not been to range yet to test.
    Good Shooting

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I use several different wads for different shells and loads, Windjammer, AA-12 Clones, Federal 12-C1, Federal 12SO, DR WT-12, Federal Clone 12S3, and I love the Remington SP-12 wish someone would make a clone for them, they would sell like hot cakes.

I load Gun Club, Federal Top Gun, RIO, Estate w/plastic base, RED ACTIV,AA Red & Super Hdcp, Rem STS& Nitro27,

Powders of choice are PROMO, 800-X, Red Dot, and of course Longshot, I just picked up 8lb of Red Dot for $80.00 Could not pass it up.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

19. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

Whoa 1100_Remington_Man - That sounds like a lot of work. I'd be interested in know how are you going test them, and what do you expect to find?

20. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

I have measured them with Dial calipers, Total Length, Depth of Shot Cup, Base width. It might be in my head, but this why I believe the DRHF8 so far fits the best in STS hulls is because its base width is the smallest at .69 inch, where the Blue Duster is .70 & since the DRXL-1 1/8 has a .705 width at base. This is why I decided to load Green Dot with this wad DRXL- 1 1/8 since its a bulkier powder it will place the Wad higher in the hull & since the STS hull is a tapered case & the lower you go in it the small diameter it becomes. I know with any Wad there can be some compression of plastic & with the type of plastic used. I do intend to pattern these on paper & yes it will be 10 shots per tests. I just have to have some time from work to do it, unfornutaly I work weekends sometimes & so far when I have had time, I have chosen to shoot clay birds. What do I expect to find the one that patterns the Best in my gun. Yes like most of us I'm looking for one more bird.
    Good Shooting

Search tags for this page

drxl wads

one wad for all loads

remington sts what wads should i use

whats the best wad ro reload with for trap