Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Do you have Sole?

2K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  biff 
#1 ·
You can take this thread with a grain of salt!

We all know too much salt is bad for you in many health ways and much has been written concerning your health and the amount of table salt you use with your meals. Talking about industrial manufactured sodium chloride= table salt that is.

I have recently read about a pure form of salt which contains 84 different minerals and which is a type of salt that is porportedly good for you, your health and well being. So the reason for my question is to see if someone on our TS.Com has used the Himalayan Crystal Salt for health benefits. Using a solution of this salt and water will produce Sole, giving health benefits in metabolism, cleansing of toxins and improving our electrolytic balance. I plan to try this and was interested in hearing from someone already using it. Biff

#3 ·
Heck, regular unrefined gray sea salt contains traces of all the minerals found in sea water (list link above). You don't need to climb to the top of the world to get them. What do Himalayans know about salt anyway? They haven't seen the ocean in millions of years!

The really sad part of this whole Himalayan salt scam is this statement on their web page:

<I>"One teaspoon of Original Himalayan Crystal Salt Sole contains 478 mg of Sodium - That’s equivalent to 20% of the USDA’s recommended daily allowance of 2,500 mg."</I>

The USDA recommendation is for a maximum intake of 2400 mg/day. Most Americans eating a steady diet of packaged and processed foods get twice that amount. The human body only needs 1/10 that amount (just 240 mg) daily to function correctly. Why in the world would anyone think that drinking at least one glass of salt water a day in addition to all the salt they get from other sources could be good for them??

Morgan

#4 ·
Captn', you got some of the info, but maybe you oughta read a little deeper, in that table salt is toxic like all the health critic expound on. It may be a scam, but what little the Himalayans know about salt is that the salt there is a crystalized form from sea water from millions of years ago. Don't try it, I'm willing to do some "Scam" snooping and see. It sounds like something which may be benificial if it will flush some of the toxins from my body I've accumulated over the years. The rest of you get out your Tinfoil Hats! Biff

#8 ·
No Hipshot3, and I'm really not trolling for the "Naysayers". Seems like everytime anyone mentions something that might be good for your health- there will be someone in the crowd that will always take an opposing view and challenge anything being said just because they love a good argument. I almost don't want to bring up topics like this, but feel somewhat obligated to especially when I feel it may be benificial to my fellow trapshooters. Trapshooting is a sport for people of all ages, shapes, and condition of health, if you were asked to describe an average trapshooter your image would possibly someone over weight and out of shape.

Life is precious and good health is necessary for long life and the ability to pursue the things in life that are dear to us. When I was young I felt like I would always be the way I was and that only old people got old. Taking care of yourself is no one's concern but your own, so it really is up to you to find how to survive in this day and age of processed foods which sometimes have been genetically engineered by large corporations(this is almost necessary with the increasing populations and the decline of old time organic farming).

As you age you begin to look at ways of maintaining your health to finally begin seeking what can help you or what to avoid that adversely effects being healthy. We can't live forever, but we can be aware of what can help and what can hurt us. Right now I'm dealing with two addictions which I know will shorten my life: sugar and salt(both called "White Poison"). I have a sweet tooth and know I can overcome that much better than avoiding salt; if I stay away from sweets for a period of time I will lose that craving. Salt on the other hand is very hard to avoid as it is in almost anything you buy unless it is packaged as salt free. The salt we use on the table is manufacured from two chemicals which adversley affect our bodies and make us retain water, causing edema and weight from water retention. There is a better way to get salt, salt which isn't as harmful to our bodies, that's what I'm after.

So my friends, I am hoping to maintain my health and I truly want for each and every one of you to do the same. I'm looking forward to next year's shooting and hope all of you will be out there shooting your best!Biff

#10 ·
Salt is either mined or comes from evaporating salt water. If you have ever seen San Francisco Bay salt flats, you would understand. Biff, it is the sodium and not the chloride that is the issue. So, sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) may be a problem as well as sodium chloride or any other sodium containing compound. If someone is telling you that a few minerals in salt will make it less of a hazard, they are full of it. Try potassium chloride instead or garlic and other spices so that you do not miss the salt as much. This is a great way to make money for the scammers. Contribute if you wish, but I would suggest talking with your doctor first.

BTW, many innoucous compounds are combinations of hazardous components.

Mike

#11 ·
Biff, I'll tell you what. I have to go up to Fairbanks next month on business. If you're really serious about wanting to load up on essential minerals, I'll bring you back a few gallons of glacial river water. It looks like battleship gray paint and it's so loaded with the minerals the glaciers grind off the bed rock that you can almost chew it. No nasty sodium!

Morgan

#12 ·
Capn', just bring me some of the pure glacier ice which I understand to be blue and from snows that fell thousands and thousands of years ago! Forget about the gray grind, there's enough goop in our drinking water here to kill all the bugs in your garden. It's from all the pesticides and waste that runs off into the Barren River where the city of Bowling Green, Ky gets it's drinking water, that was even low during the drought of '07 here! Biff

PS: Mike, what makes you think I would trust a doctor? My sister is one, smokes and thinks all that perscription medicine will cure you, even takes some of the stuff herself that's advertised on TV for which there will be law suits involved in the future! I honestly believe almost all our illnesses stem from what we eat, drink, inhale, and don't do- it's tough staying alive in this world today!

#17 ·
Capn', that's no monk! That's me after my first dose and now I need some of that Blue Glacier Ice in water you promised to bring me from your next Alaskan trip so I can down my coral calcium with. How do you ever find time to shoot trap as you seem too busy scam busting all the time! Biff

#19 ·
<I>"Capn'... How do you ever find time to shoot trap as you seem too busy scam busting all the time!"</i>

Biff, every day I deal with people who have some money they want to make grow into bigger money and who also have some really naive ideas about how they would like to do it. I can't find enough paper at the moment to list all the bad purchase/bad investment schemes that have crossed my desk in the past 25 years. I have no trouble spotting a bad deal any more; in fact, it's a heck of a lot easier than shooting trap.

Morgan

#20 ·
Morgan, Got my Himalayan salt shipment today, brought in on pack mules with Mongolians riding on ponies. We sat down to some green tea laced with Coral Calcium and when they left I had a Sole(pronounced So-lay) made with my own purified water! Been feeling chipper ever since, too revved up to shoot trap right now! Biff

#21 ·
I got some of that salt yesterday. I can say nothing about the issue except that Dr Philip Crane(who had a health column in the newspapers 30 years ago)also recommended taking sea salt in this manner. As to the taste of the salt itself,it is very nice,with a lots of different flavors in it. Am looking forward to trying it on some foods. I don't use the 'Morton' type iodized salt any more. It is way too salty & harsh. I use only sea salt. It can be had in bulk very cheaply at most good health food stores. Yup,I just had my sodium level checked. Am in fine shape re: that issue. Tom Lobonc

#22 ·
Otnot, as you may well have figured, we already own and use several of the HCS lamps in our bedroom and office. Snapshot likes what she feels are the health benefits from them while I love the glow they give off for romance in the bedroom! Hope yours does for you what ours is doing for us, may have to go to a long shoot for R & R! Biff

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.