1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DO YOU HAVE ENOUGH CHOKE IN THAT BARREL??????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i started shooting in 1970, never owned a gun with choke tubes. what ever the barrel was choked, i shot it. most of my 870's were choked 42 thousand, had a model 12 at 45 thousand. both gun hit targets very hard. back them i spoke to an all american shooter, asked him what choke do you use for 16 yd, he said 28 thousands. i asked what about 27 yd handicap? he said as tight as choke as i can find. i have heard shooters say, on 16 yd they use anywhere from 10 to 20 thousands of choke? is this possible and still break great scores? my confidence builds when i can roll smoke balls. what choke do you use for 16 yd, handicap, and doubles?
    steve balistreri

2. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

Steve,
    I shoot a LF(30)for everything-16 to 27. I have used a LM (15) for 16, but the last few years I just leave the LF in all the time. When I miss a 16 yd target, a looser choke would not help and I don't think the tighter choke has ever cost me a target.
    Sonny Daniels

3. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

Steve,
    I shoot a LF(30)for everything-16 to 27. I have used a LM (15) for 16, but the last few years I just leave the LF in all the time. When I miss a 16 yd target, a looser choke would not help and I don't think the tighter choke has ever cost me a target.
    Sonny Daniels

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Steve.....For what it's worth, my DB-81 single barrel was done by Tom Wilkinson. I asked him to set it up for 27yd. handicap. The barrel is backbored to .742" and the choke is .708" (.034"). The barrel works very well for me, and I can get some impressive breaks with it at 27yds when I point it correctly. The O/U barrels I shoot for doubles are both factory .725" bores. The bottom barrel is choked .705" (.020") and the top barrel is choked .691" (.034"). These chokes are absolutely the best chokes I have ever used for doubles. It will "hang smoke" from both targets every time. All barrels are fixed choke....Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. biff

biff Active Member

senior smoke, I just like to say I like the threads you have been posting on TS.Com. They are a refreshing change from most of the past postings, you are helping keep the topics on trap track! Thanks, Biff

6. senior smoke

Bif,
    thanks for the compliment. this site is new to me. i love shooting, have never been any good, look at my past ata averages in wisconsin. in 1979 i got cancer, going to gun clubs is what i really needed at that time. my cancer, knock on wood is in remission, but my wife got breast cancer last year, and i dont shoot as much as i would like to. we have the greatest fraternity in all of sports. no matter where you go, mention to a shooter that you enjoy guns and shooting, you have a potential friend. my wife and i know that life can be way to short. i told a friend the other night, someday when i die, i hope i go somewhere where i can shoot, he said if you do, you will be looking up!
    take care,
    steve balistreri-
    p.s. just happen to be on vacation from work this week! leaving to go shoot some practice at the darian gun club in wisconsin. my son said to me, dad, after 38 years of shooting, what are you hopeing to accomplish by all the shooting? if i can get to the 21 yard line, thats my 27 yd pin. a friend of mine said, that i have to be the worst left handed shooter in the ata. after we shot, let me correct that, the worst shooter in the entire ata. he said i should not be allowed to even own a gun, i shoot so bad. i just love the smell of burnt power and my federal papers, what a high! take care. steve

7. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Those who claim that too tight of a choke has never cost them a target are essentially saying that they either shoot the target nearly perfectly or else they miss it a looooooooonng way. In other words, they are never off "just a little bit". I can find no facts or other reasoning to support that belief.

Trap shooting is essentially muscular coordination and timing combined with good eyesight..... much like throwing darts, pitching horseshoes, shooting freethrows, hitting a ball, etc. The main difference between trap shooting and these other sports is that with trap shooting, when the shooter misses, we can't see by HOW MUCH he missed. With these other sports, we CAN see by how much he missed.

If anyone will spend any time at all observing a real pro throwing darts, pitching horseshoes, shooting freethrows, etc, he will quickly observe that when the real pro misses, it certainly isn't by very far. In fact, the pros' misses would often be considered a pretty good attempt by the average "duffer".

So, when someone tells me that a bigger pattern would never have given him another target, he is essentially telling me that he is a duffer who either centers the target (probably by accident) or else misses it a mile, which is an indication of his true talent, because when the pros miss, they don't miss by much.

Easystreet

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

steve- I do not get too hung up about the label on a choke. I want a choke that will totally reduce the target to dust when I center the pattern on the bird. When I begin to see weak hits, I know I am doing something wrong and I had better get back into the groove or a lost bird is coming. I can not accomplish this with a choke less than around 0.035 constriction.

A more open choke will give a larger pattern and pick up a few birds but the weak hits will not allow you to see something is not right with your shooting. And, an open choke can be disastrous at long range handicap shooting.

If you want a label on a choke, IM or F is my choice. M is OK for the first shot of doubles.

Pat Ireland

9. biff

biff Active Member

Steve, Welcome back to trapshooting, it seems to be a sport you can enjoy into your senior years; as long as your eyesight, physical strength and coordination holds up. I don't know how old you are but I understand what your son doesn't. Besides the actual enjoyment of firing a gun at a moving target, the challenge to find the level of achievement one can attain each time they go on the line is the driving force for me and I'm sure you get satisfaction each time you can better a previous score!

I am happy you are a cancer survivor which sure indicates you are a fighter and a competitor and I hope your wife can battle and win; having your support, love, and drive will help her accomplish her goal also! Good luck and good shooting! John Payne

10. senior smoke

john,
    i'm 56, feel like i've been ridden hard, and put away wet. thanks for the kind words. i really like all your comments. you all bring a different view to the table. good shooting!
    steve balistreri

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I think I understand what Pat is saying, but why is it necessary to reduce a target to "dust"? If it breaks, it's dead....isn't it? The tighter the choke the less forgiving it is and the better shot you had better be! An Imp Mod is what you need. I brought 500 straight with one.....don't know if I could have done that with a Full?

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

LF from 27 (.031), IM (.026) from 16. Bore is .740.

13. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

For several years, I subscribed to the "more open choke" theory. I was convinced that I broke more targets due to the more open chokes I used in my MX-15. Since I sold that gun and bought my DB-81, with a .034" fixed choke, I am shooting better than I ever did with the open chokes. My confidence level is much higher than it ever was shooting the open chokes. I can now "read" my breaks, and as Pat said above, I know when I'm off a little and when it's time to pay more attention to what I'm doing. I don't believe shooting a more open choke gives anyone a few more target in 1000 simply because they only make you a more careless and sloppy shot. You have no visual reference to determine where you are shooting by just chipping and chunking targets. You cannot center the target and hang smoke consistantly with the open chokes. I know, I know, 25 chips are better than 24 inkballs, right? I don't believe that, either. The shooter that got the 25 chips will consistantly get beat by the shooter that gets 24 inkballs, over the course of 100 targets, because the shooter shooting the tighter choke is the more disciplined shooter. Yes, there are a FEW big dogs that shoot an open choke effectively, but, by far, the MAJORITY of them use full chokes for both singles and handicaps just for the reasons above.....Just my observation....Dan Thome (Trap2)

14. RonC

RonC TS Member

I do a lot of patterning. Different chokes/distances, 1 1/8 oz,7 1/2 magnum shot only, shoot a Beretta. Never use single data points but averages of more than 3 patterns. I shoot paper from 20 yds (SK, IC) to 40, (F, IM, M, LM). I cut 2 cardboard circles, a middle one equal to 50% of the area of a 30" circle, one a 30" circle. I position the middle circle to cover the highest amount of shot ie the hot core, pencil the center, superimpose the 30" circle. One common thing I have found is that regardless of choke constriction or distance from 30 yds on the outer ring contains 55-108 pellets. That's all, not enough to break a lottery ticket. The inner "hot core" is thinner the more open the choke so I would suggest tightening up folks. To read your breaks see T&F Sept 2006 article by Phil Kiner.

Ron

15. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i thought before the more open choke the better. WRONG. My averages have gone up using full vs mod chokes st all yardages.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

ALF-99- You made an excellent point.

Pat Ireland

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

my Ljutic is unaltered, still has the rings in the bbl and isn't marked but Nadine tells me it has 30 points of constriction and it smokes targets at any yardage....like 40 yards back at a turkey shoot...no problemo!!

18. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

My question is...if you shoot a "trap full" ...you're gonna either smoke it or miss it....so, how do you learn anything from a miss??? I can learn from chips off the bottom/top/or sides?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.