1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have a Trap or Skeet Field on your Property

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by coconutjoy, Jun 16, 2013.

1. coconutjoy

coconutjoy Member

Does anybody have a Trap or skeet Field set up on their own property(or even a small portable Trap for that matter).If so do you have a picture you could post.Just Curious.THANK YOU.

2. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

I do not. However.......

I have the next best thing - a regulation skeet field on my neighbor's property. He paid for the construction; we built it together; I supplied the skeet machines. Any particular reason you want a picture? It was built to Winchester-Western plans, circa 1959. Looks about like any other regulation skeet field. We are using the "old reliables" - Western machines. Man, they are so reasonable to buy these days and they throw such nice targets! We reload the low house while we are shooting station 7. When we finish the round, we go back to station 1 and reload the high house. Good exercise for old guys. We buy our trap parts (have not needed any yet) from folks who do not discourage us about the old Western machines. If anyone tells us not to use them, or that there is a scarcity of parts for them, then we avoid those trap dealers and deal with someone who is enthusiastic about them and who assures us there are parts - new and from salvage machines. That way, we feel more like we are getting the straight "scoop" and good support. Two dealers we really like are R&R (San Antonio) and Rhodeside (Ohio). Nicer folks you will not find.

Next, my neighbor and I want to overlay a trap field on the skeet field. Next (after that) we want to build a second field.

We'z sho' havin' fun down heah in Alabam' with our entry level skeet field..... and we may not get rich, but lots of new folk are being introduced to the clay target sports. (You ought to see some of the "blunderbusses" that show up at our little club. It will make your hair stand on end and you will want to wear a nascar helmet and a flak jacket.....)

If you want to see skeet and trap survive, then don't knock the old Western machines. They have a new purpose of late: to make many a "one-field" organization affordable, which will feed new shooters into the shooting sports world. Many of the new shooters won't stay with it; others will shoot for a lifetime.....

Mike Durhan

Green Ridge Shooting Range

Locust Fork (of the Warrior River), Alabama

"Where men are men - and most of the women are pretty good with a tractor"

3. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I have a Trap feild in the Back yard we shoot once a month and have a real good time.It's raining currently and we cannot see it from the house but we will be shooting next Sunday.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If I had the land, I'd have one. But, my wife won't live in the sticks.

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I would love to put one on my family place. The problem I have is yardage. I can put one in and have JUST ENOUGH yardage to do so. How ever there are horses on the place and I don't know what the broken targets will do to them and the wads. On another place of the farm I can put one in I think but I will need a shoot curtain. It will be away from the horses and on the other side of the fence. How ever it will be in the view of the porch looking out over the field facing east. I can do most of the work myself but like anything money is slowing things down.

Just a word of caution. I can put one in my place and NO ONE CAN STOP ME FROM DOING SO. Not anyone around me or the county. WHY? Because its a private range for my own use. If I invite friends thats fine. BUT if I open it up to the public then I have a problem. Can't open it up to the public because then I have the county on my back. Check your zoning laws in your area and see if you can for private use. Let us know how you do.

6. traploader

traploader Member

Several of our customers have home or backyard traps. Here's a picture from a few years back.

Ian Brotherston Western Retro

7. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

If you're handy it won't cost as much as you think. Built this in '07.

Rod

8. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Another pic. Thought both were on the other thread.

Rod