1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have a distance linit in shooting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Tried to make the title of this thread shorter. What is your distance limit for daily shoots. Weekend shoots & finally major shoots 5 days plus.

Phil Berkowitz

2. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Phil, Ive towed my sailboat from Texas to Chitaqua NY and from Tx to lake Tahoe just to raace for a week, would do the same for shooting. Its 390 miles for me to the sw grand and every other year the state shoot, seldom ever miss them. 222 to Amarillo, and over 100 minimum to any other shoot besides my home club. Travel just comes natural when you live in the SW part of U.S.

Bob

3. fishguts

fishguts Member

Around 80 yards my loads start to peter out.

Wayne

4. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

3.2 mi to the grand

jpark

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Well...my closest trap club is 60 miles away and I regularly travel up to 300 miles to shoot...

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Well my point is I'm putting about 30k miles a year on my shooting vehicle. Just wanted to see if I was way out of the main stream.

Phil Berkowitz

7. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

At our local club we can shoot back to about the 45yard line then we start running into the clubhouse.

I have been to clubs where we are probably back to the 75 yard line. Then the boys get out the big loads. Dynamite, blue dot, etc....

8. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

I have a sixteen mile round trip for a gal of milk. 64 , 80, to the Gun clubs which I belong. What is considered out of the main stream? Post-2

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

16 miles to Markham Park my home court & 47 miles to CCC in Miami.

Eric

10. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

My 1100 Howitzer about 25 miles on a good day.Very accurate now with GPS.
    Railroad

11. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I've gone as far as Missoula, about 400 miles one way, to shoot one day of the Hoppie Shoot. My boys and I left about 4 AM and got home around 10 PM that night. That's been a few years ago. Earlier this spring I drove up to Butte by myself for one day, leaving about 5 AM, getting back about 7 PM. That's 250 miles one way, about 3 1/4 hours. Last weekend we drove down to Spanish Fork to shoot Saturday and Sunday, 200 miles each way. I'd go to Las Vegas for a long weekend, about 600 miles/9 hours one way.

12. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Three days and nights on a Pullman car from Spokane to Dayton. Then return. Sum fun!

13. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

I know where texaszephyr is coming from. Here in South Texas, we basically don't measure distance in miles, it's more like how many hours til you get to the shoot you want to go to. We here in Victoria are about 2 hours away from most of the big south Texas cities; Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Corpus Christi and a few local area clubs that throw shoots as well. Still, the closest one besides my home club (10 miles from the house) is Fayette County Gun Club in La Grange at around 90 miles. Just a good wake-up drive in the morning on the way to a shoot.

Mike Hessong* (MH*)

President- Victoria (Texas) Skeet and Trap Club

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Anything over 100 miles and I take the airplane.

John C. Saubak

15. Illuminati

Illuminati TS Member

Hi John

Opera Non Verba

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

From my driveway:

1 - 4 miles west to Wilmington Trap Assoc.

2 - 29 miles south to Millington

3 - 20 miles north to Oxford

4 - 1 hr. south to Carney

5 - 1.5 hrs. east to Pine Belt

6 - 3 hrs. north to Elysburg

7 - 7.5 hrs. west to the Cardinal Center

Curt - Delaware

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

"Opera Non Verba" fellow Kingsman

18. snowbird trap shooter

snowbird trap shooter TS Member

60 steps to the practice trap at Silver Dollar. Plan ahead!

19. joannl030

joannl030 Member

Back in 1996 I drove 54K between March and September. That's the most I have ever kept track of. I was shooting 7 days a week...Monday = working my day job 7am to 3pm, reloading from 330 to 530 then off to practice 25 miles away. Tuesday = 7am to 3pm, reloading from 330 to 530 then off to practice 20 miles away, Wednesday = working 7am to 3pm then off to league shoot in next county south, I worked as a puller too. Thursday = working 7am to 3pm then off to league shoot in own county, I worked as a puller too. Fridays = working 7am to 3pm then off to next big shoot, MD, PA, NY, VA, PA Grand, NE Grand, Michigan Grand then worked the shoots as a puller and shot too. Then once shoot offs were done on Sundays it was back home. The only entire week I took off was for the Grand American and I didn't work there as that was my vacation!!
    BTW Texaszephyr, Chitaqua is correctly spelled Chautauqua, I know this because I live in Chautauqua County near the lake you raced on!!
    Good shooting,
    Jo Ann

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.