1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you experience Fear and Doubt?............

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by biff, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

Trapshooting is a mental game and for me these two areas are my greatest hurdles to overcome in order to succeed!

Fear for me is the worry that I'm going to make a mistake of some type and miss the target. It is something which I have to conciously put out of my mind before I go out on line to shoot and seems to be strongest before I make the first shot. I mentally prepare myself while waiting my turn by mounting my gun before we start making sure it fits and feels right; also I get my eyes ready by looking left, right and up and down. The best way to deal with fear is to face it and replace it with the knowledge you "Can Do". Once I break that first target, the fear is gone.

Doubt comes creaping in while shooting in the form of "not succeeding". This is something which will come to mind while you are shooting with thoughts like you are going to get a type of target you have missed before or you're going to shoot behind a hard right. Doubt is best defeated by ignoring it and staying in the task at hand of seeing and shooting the next target. It is hard for the mind to think about two things at once, so it is best to give it the one thing you desire most and that is breaking the next target! Keeping score of your losses, your team mates losses, or how many more targets are left are all just one more task which will take your mind off what you want most; remember just one thing at a time! You CAN do it! Biff

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

The ghost writer of "Ace's Trapshooting Tips" has been reincarnated...

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Blind consuming hatred and stupidity..........But maybe I misunderstood. Jeff

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I experience fear when I come home from the club late after shooting league.

I experience doubt when I tell my pal " I'll check with wifey and see if we're busy".

Never mind what I experience if I stumble coming in the back door.

HM

5. nipper

nipper TS Member

no i dont

Bill

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Biff:
    FEAR AND DOUBT?? this is a game to be enjoyed! lets brake this game down to what it actually is. you see the target, you break it. simple as that. I was at the grand in the 80's, saw a shooter break a great doubles score. i asked him for a lesson when we got back home. we are at the home club, he says look for the first target, break it as fast as you can, then look for the second target, and break that one too. end of lesson! I will tell you what fear and doubt is. soldiers in iraq, people not working and wondering how to feed a family. seriously, this is just a game. and if you are one of a handful that can shoot for a living, then i could understand that you would have "fear and doubt"
    steve balistreri

7. biff

biff Active Member

Buzzer, I "ain't" Ace! All it was was just a little confession and it makes me feel much better to know I'm the only one who feels that way; just glad I don't feel Hate and Stupidity. Steve, I'm glad you can "brake" it down and apply it to life's tradegy as you know it's just a game....maybe that's where the stupidity really is, playing this game! Biffster

8. otnot

otnot Active Member

Well if it's any consolation, I too get pregame jitters. I have learned to control them with breathing and a set routine of setting up for the shot. I would be willing to bet that the people who are not nervous prior to shooting are either lying or are not very good shots and are only comfortable with certain levels of excellence and miss targets to stay within that comfort zone. I don't know how many times I have missed a target and ran the rest once the pressure is off. I also practice relaxation techniques at home that I use when I feel myself getting tight out on the line. Don't worry Biff your normal. LOL

9. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Read Lanny Basham's Book " With Winning in Mind".....-Frank C

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Fear and Doubt!!! Only when I llok at the canidates for our upcomming presidential election. lot's of fear and truck loads of doubt

11. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

I'm afraid to tell you about it. I doubt you would understand.

AJ100

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It's usually called F U D! Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt! Something that is spread on forums by people spreading rumors or bad information, among other things. In Trapshooting, I'm confident, about what I'm not always sure, but confident I remain! :)

Quack!

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Only when I have to go to the convenience store after dark and forget my carry gun! Nashville is also over run with illegals and MS 13 trash. Metro is so short of LEOS that the Chief of Police rides patrol like everybody else!

On the line? NO. I live what I teach. Correct form. Positive re enforcement. Be a role model.

14. biff

biff Active Member

Thanks Otnot, your response was the only sensible one on this topic. Seems when someone doesn't understand what is being said they feel compelled to make some kind of stupid, funny to them remark.

"Denial is a common tactic that substitutes deliberate ignorance for thoughtful thinking". Charles Tremper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.