1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you drain your water heater?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 320090T, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

LET'S PUT THIS IN 'OFF TOPICS' - Moderator

I am going to FL for the winter to do some shooting so this question is in the shooting section, not the plumbing section. A while back I posted about winterizing a house for the winter and got excellent advice but have another question. I talked with a guy yesterday and he said to be sure to drain the water heater as the anode?? rod will react with soft water and you will have a smelly mess in the spring. Don't want that so any thoughts? Thanks!!

Edit: My water heater was born in 1980, and still going.

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Anode rods are fairly rare now days, they make the water heaters last too long

You can get some smell in them if there is one but it will go way as soon as you use the heater

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I don't. Have hard water off a well. I turn off water (compete house) and power to the tank.

I found it's best to run the showers for a bit (at least 15-20 minutes) before turning the power back on to the tank. If I get a smell its just for a limited time.

4. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

No, I don't drain my hot water heater.

And, yeah, it is a shooting related thread - for sure. It is not an off-topic thread......!

Mike

5. Sharp1

Sharp1 Member

Yes,,,Do drain it. You dont want that water fermenting in your tank. Be sure also shut off the electric or the gas to the unit as well. A pilot can bake the tank dry and you dont need to waist the energy...Let your utility company know also or they will think your meters have stopped and will send out a technician to fix it.

6. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

I would drain it, I would be afraid of a water heater that old getting a leak and dumping all the water all over the floor. Just a thought. Rick

7. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

We always drain the water heater at our hunting camp for the winter. When one of us goes up in the spring when temps no longer get to freezing we fill it and leave it. Never had a problem and we get our water from a spring house and pump it from there.

Oscar

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Never have to big a mess and my water heaters have lasted 20 + years

9. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

What are you going to do about all of the plumbing in the house? The dish washer and the washing machine? What about the water that remains in the pipes? They will also freeze and when you return and turn the water back on you will have big issues--especially with the pipes inside the wall space.

10. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

Hook your air compressor up to an outside spigot, set it for around 20 to 30#s and blow all lines empty, including softener (make sure you don't spin the water turbine inside the softener up too fast) also hot H2O tank. Leave tank drain open. (should be done yearly anyway to remove mineral buildup). After you have nothing but air venting from all taps, shut compressor off and leave taps open. Use RV antifreeze and fill all sink traps and toilet bowl. Make sure you drain toilet tank reservoir.

Say hello to Larry White for me, HarryC.

11. late bloomer

late bloomer TS Member

In the 60's my brother in law was visiting in Kansas. While visiting, the water heater in his California home blew up and left a hole in the ceiling big enough for a small child to crawl through.

Turn off the heat to your water heater.

Terry Sandlin

12. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

All the pipes in our camp are on a fall, we drain everything and pour RV anti freeze into the traps. NEVER had a problem!

Oscar

13. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I'm going to leave the heat at 55° so freezing won't be an issue. I'm going to shut the well, water softener, and water heater off.

14. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

I turn off the water,drain the water heater to the floor drain, then turn on all the taps in the house and the water will drain to the lowest point in the house....the water heater in the basement.Flush all the toilets and blow all the traps.I leave the temp. at 50 F. works for me...

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

All water heaters have an anode rod in them. If you have a srong sulfur smell in your hot water, remove the anode rod and cut it off and install the top for a cap or buy a plug at Hdw store.

Have had to do this many times on well water systems.

Put a hose on water heater and drain it periodacaly to rid lime and calcium build up.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Butch What is the t.p. reservoir? Thanks

17. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

Dennis, my mistake, meant T.T., toilet tank reservoir. I'll try and edit it.

Also forgot to add. If you don't trust your furnace, I did and shouldn't have, take any bottles of liquids and store them in a clean garbage can. I lost furnace for about 2 months of Iowa winter weather. Can goods were bulged and most bottles were broken. HarryC

18. Catpower

Dr Longshot, you are as full of BS about water heaters as you are about trap shooting

Anode rods have not been standard equipment for many years

They can be ordered as an option, but no one does it because of competitive pricing, and the fact that it won't do anything to extend the warranty of the heater, seems that's all people think about now days

We buy water heaters by the semi load

And sell them one or two at a time

19. Captain Smoke

Captain Smoke Member

Catpower, You are wrong there is an anode rod in every water heater made. I have been installing and servicing heaters for years. They are on the hot nipple or a seperate hex fitting on the top of the tank. So go out and look at one of the heaters from the last truckload you received and there will be one there. I am sorry this is not on the subject of the thread but just had to put my 2 cents in. I WOULD DRAIN THE HEATER.

20. Catpower

Captain Smoke you are wrong, the anode rod has been an option for a long time and to compete with the big boxes, which most don't have them we quit ordering them with the option

The warranty is the same though, so if it makes it through warranty, who cares anymore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.