1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you carry an "Assisted Opening" knife??? READ!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigdogtx, Jun 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Do you carry a pocket knife that can be opened with one hand???? You may not be able to for long. The US Customs and Border Protection, if they get their way, you won't be for much longer.

DON'T YOU JUST LOVE HOW _OUR_ GOVERNMENT TRIES TO "BACKDOOR" US?!?!?!?!?!?

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Do you carry an

Most states don't allow you to carry one now.

3. bigdogtx

Do you carry an

BB, really I didn't know that as I thought that my folding knife was legal.

4. Scott Thompson

Scott Thompson TS Member

Do you carry an

Barrelbulge - References for what states/municipalities have either specific laws outlawing or rulings for which these knives have been deemed switchblades?

This ruling, while a bad ruling, governs what can be imported into the USA, not what can be carried. The ruling itself lists the problem in that there are rulings in various courts that define these knives both ways in terms of falling under the switchblade act.

Basically, unless specifically outlawed by a state or municipality, you are subject to the interpretation of law enforcement and the courts. Both will tend to with the predominant opinion of the locality.

Just as with guns, we only have as many rights as we are willing to sacrifice everything we own and love to fight the courts to maintain.

5. rjstubbl

rjstubbl Member

Do you carry an

Assisted opening knives are legal. There is a difference between the assisted opener and a switch blade which are illegal in most states (to carry). Assisted openers need to have the opening process started with the thumb stud or an alternate manual mechanism. Switch blades have a "button" that when pushed the blade swings open. Assisted openers can be purchased in most stores such as Wal-Mart. If they were illegal, I doubt they would sell them.

6. Scott Thompson

Scott Thompson TS Member

Do you carry an

rjstubbl

This is the problem. Some courts, law enforcement agencies, and prosecutors are using the type of sideways reasoning detailed in this customs ruling to deem these knives illegal.

Again, you only have the rights you are willing to fight for in court and incur penalty if the court does not rule your way.

As far as I'm concerned, the 2nd amendment protect fully automatic weapons for personal possession. The reality of the current situation is something different which is why I don't have any automatic weapons.

7. bigdogtx

Do you carry an

From the second main article, "U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) just a bit over two weeks ago on May 21st proposed revoking earlier rulings that assisted opening knives are not switchblades. The proposed new rule would not only outlaw assisted opening knives, its new broad definition of a switchblade would also include one-handed opening knives and could be easily interpreted to cover most other pocket knives, even simple old-fashioned slip-joints. At this point, one-hand opening and assisted opening knives are 80% of U.S. knife sales (per AKTI industry sources). For most knife companies, they represent all or the majority of their product lines. These are the knives Americans take with them to work and to play everyday."

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Do you carry an

Not to change the subject, but is this "assist opening" has real meaningful advantage over the thumb opening stud on the base of the blade of a non-assisted knife?

I tried them both, it makes very little difference in effort & time when you "need" to open the blade in the fast mode.

IMO, the time it takes to open an one hand operated folding knife is not as critical as the lock time in a competition firearm. Your reaction time to get a good hold of you knife is 100 times more than the opening speed.

9. Chip Pitcairn

Chip Pitcairn TS Member

Do you carry an

My Kershaw Ken Onion Knives don't operate by springs, inertia or gravity. I believe they use what is known as a concentric cam. The wording of the ruling doesn't seem to cover my knives, but from past experience trying to argue this with CBP is futile.

10. bigdogtx

Do you carry a pocket knife that can be opened with one hand???? You may not be able to for long. The US Customs and Border Protection, if they get their way, you won't be for much longer.

DON'T YOU JUST LOVE HOW _OUR_ GOVERNMENT TRIES TO "BACKDOOR" US?!?!?!?!?!?

11. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Do you carry an

Most states don't allow you to carry one now.

12. bigdogtx

Do you carry an

BB, really I didn't know that as I thought that my folding knife was legal.

13. Scott Thompson

Scott Thompson TS Member

Do you carry an

Barrelbulge - References for what states/municipalities have either specific laws outlawing or rulings for which these knives have been deemed switchblades?

This ruling, while a bad ruling, governs what can be imported into the USA, not what can be carried. The ruling itself lists the problem in that there are rulings in various courts that define these knives both ways in terms of falling under the switchblade act.

Basically, unless specifically outlawed by a state or municipality, you are subject to the interpretation of law enforcement and the courts. Both will tend to with the predominant opinion of the locality.

Just as with guns, we only have as many rights as we are willing to sacrifice everything we own and love to fight the courts to maintain.

14. rjstubbl

rjstubbl Member

Do you carry an

Assisted opening knives are legal. There is a difference between the assisted opener and a switch blade which are illegal in most states (to carry). Assisted openers need to have the opening process started with the thumb stud or an alternate manual mechanism. Switch blades have a "button" that when pushed the blade swings open. Assisted openers can be purchased in most stores such as Wal-Mart. If they were illegal, I doubt they would sell them.

15. Scott Thompson

Scott Thompson TS Member

Do you carry an

rjstubbl

This is the problem. Some courts, law enforcement agencies, and prosecutors are using the type of sideways reasoning detailed in this customs ruling to deem these knives illegal.

Again, you only have the rights you are willing to fight for in court and incur penalty if the court does not rule your way.

As far as I'm concerned, the 2nd amendment protect fully automatic weapons for personal possession. The reality of the current situation is something different which is why I don't have any automatic weapons.

16. bigdogtx

Do you carry an

From the second main article, "U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) just a bit over two weeks ago on May 21st proposed revoking earlier rulings that assisted opening knives are not switchblades. The proposed new rule would not only outlaw assisted opening knives, its new broad definition of a switchblade would also include one-handed opening knives and could be easily interpreted to cover most other pocket knives, even simple old-fashioned slip-joints. At this point, one-hand opening and assisted opening knives are 80% of U.S. knife sales (per AKTI industry sources). For most knife companies, they represent all or the majority of their product lines. These are the knives Americans take with them to work and to play everyday."

17. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Do you carry an

Not to change the subject, but is this "assist opening" has real meaningful advantage over the thumb opening stud on the base of the blade of a non-assisted knife?

I tried them both, it makes very little difference in effort & time when you "need" to open the blade in the fast mode.

IMO, the time it takes to open an one hand operated folding knife is not as critical as the lock time in a competition firearm. Your reaction time to get a good hold of you knife is 100 times more than the opening speed.

18. Chip Pitcairn

Chip Pitcairn TS Member

Do you carry an

My Kershaw Ken Onion Knives don't operate by springs, inertia or gravity. I believe they use what is known as a concentric cam. The wording of the ruling doesn't seem to cover my knives, but from past experience trying to argue this with CBP is futile.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Do you carry an

Everything will soon be deemd illegal.

To survive you will either have to be part of the Power structure (like the Obama Jugend) or totally debased into a boot licking toadie.

I will be dead by that time, and promise to take a few with me.

HM

20. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Do you carry an

Chip Pitcairn

Kershaw Ken Onions use what Kershaw calls "SpeedSafe".

"The heart of SpeedSafeĀ® is its torsion bar. Closed, the torsion bar helps keep the knife closed, preventing it from being opened by "gravity." In order to open the knife, the user must apply manual pressure to the thumb stud or blade protrusion to overcome the resistance of the torsion bar. After the blade is out of the handle, the torsion bar moves along its half-moon track and takes over. The blade opens smoothly and locks into position, ready for use."

A torsion bar is a spring. (I have three Ken Onion Leeks.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.