1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you bowhunt?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Dec 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

For the bowhunters out there, I have a question for you. I am looking at getting a new Mathews bow, and I haven't been in the bow market in a long time. What Mathews bow or any bow for that matter is top-notch?

Matt Woodson

2. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I have the Conquest 2 and I am quite happy with it ! They make a newer model every year that is supposed to be better but I see no need in throwing 1500 bucks a year when mine kill's them dead just fine.Look on ebay and you can find a good deal on a new or used bow.PJ

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Hoyt, Mathews are the biggies...a lot of noise lately about Bowtech. I like Hoyt stuff and shoot a 38spl for field use, but that's just my choice, the others are good stuff too.

Agree with the comment above...buy last year's model in whatever you're interested in, you'll get a better deal. Now is a good time to be buying...new bows will be coming soon, and retailers want to get rid of their old stuff. Walk in, make them a cash offer at your price, and if they won't deal with you, walk back out.

4. steele

steele TS Member

I've been shooting Mathews bows since 2000, I usually upgrade every 2 years. Not because I need to, I just want to. Their limbs are guarenteed for life. Bows are just like trapguns. They(you) shoot much better if the bow fits & is setup/tuned properly for you. Don't get fixated on the arrow spped. Any newer bow will easily throw an arrow 260-280 fps, fast enough for anything you will ever need. I just shot a Z7 & it was spectacular, smooth as silk & quiet as a mouse. The new Monster 6 is flat out mean. I shoot 31 1/2" draw & it was throwing arrows over 340 fps, almost scarie, but is is a liitle bigger, heavier, & not as quiet.

5. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

get a single cam..

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I'm on my 3rd Matthews. Each new model has been smoother and more quiet than the previous. My son was a big Hoyt guy, but even he changed over once he shot one. I shoot 58# and he shoots 65# for hunting. The new single cam short bows are very smooth, quiet, and forgiving.

7. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

Had my Outback from Mathews for 9 years.Its still going great.I dont feel the need to upgrade.

8. Scotty585

Scotty585 Member

All great advice. I shoot the Switchback XT and feel no desire to rush out and upgrade to this years model. You will definitely find some great deals on last years models and some very lightly used ones as well.
    The big 3 seems to be Mathews, Bowtech and Hoyt. IMHO you cant go wrong with either one. Dont hang up on price or speed right now, just find one that fits you well and you feel comfortable with.

Muzzleblast,
    31.5" draw?!?!? Holy Cow, whats your LOP like?

9. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I will probably get a year old bow because that is the better deal. I like to shoot the bow at targets more than I like to hunt. I have a MQ1 now, nothing is wrong with it, but looking for a newer one.

Matt

10. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

the new x7 i believe its called is suppose to be the best for new i just bought the monster cant wait to shoot it but there are many good deals a guy on madison craigslist has a q2 all set up for 250

11. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

EE....you ruin a lot less meat with a razor sharp broadhead than a SST Hornady.

I have two recent compounds..a PSE and a Bear, both single cams, but have had good luck with everything since about ten years ago. Doesn't seem to make much difference whether it is single or double cam as long as it is tuned, the arrows matched and the foc properly set.

I ran a comparison a couple years ago among my old Bear Grizzly recurve, the old, old Bear Whitetail Hunter, the PSE, and my Latest Bear. I shot wood with feathers, aluminum, and graphite across the chrono with each and going from wood to al, to graphite seemed to increase about seven to ten fps with each...Bottom line was a low of 160 fps with the bear to a high of 258 fps with the latest Bear. Shot a deer last fall with the Bear, Montec G5s and graphite and it went through so fast I thought I'd missed. Clean kill, short run.

No less humane than any other form of hunting..as long as you get close and pick your shots.

12. crusha

crusha TS Member

EE,

Being jabbed with a sharp stick probably ain't fun...but neither is getting blasted in the gut by an idiot on a 4-wheeler who shoots his shotgun once a year, and sights it in every 2 years whether it needs it or not.

Deer deserve better than the type of hunters who are in the woods during shotgun deer season.

Ugly.

(Brian in Oregon...please insert "Fudds" comment here >>> ____)

13. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

I have shot several Mathews, they were little to noisy for me, I currently have the Hoyt Alpha Mas 32, best bow I have ever had. Can't go wrong with Hoyt, Bowtech or Mathews.

14. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I shoot a Switchback and it really shoots nice. Puts an arrow through a deer like it's a laser beam!

15. Lyle

Lyle Member

I would figure out which bow you would like and then pay Ebay a visit. YOu can nearly steal some nice bows on there once in awhile.

EE,
    C'mon..........I know guys who inside of 40 yards can shoot a bow (which kills) more accurately than most people can shoot a rifle at that range. Most bow hunters are rifle guys who need a new challenge. The rifle killing is not a challenge like it once was. Bowhunters like the challenge of gettting close and then making a good shot.
    Please................

Lyle

16. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I used to shoot Hoyt, PSE and Mathews when I shot for a local archery shop at 3-D tournaments. I ended up shooting only Mathews bows - keeping in mind that I could buy any of those 3 makes at 20% below dealer cost thru the manufacturer's programs. The manufacturer liked to have their bows being shot at the tournaments thus they provided the discounts to shops that did enough volume.

All of the major manufacturers make quality bows. The risers and cams are machined on CNC milling machines and the tolerances are very good. One of the things to keep in mind is that bows are like cars - the faster they are the more they have to be tuned. AND . . . . the more sensitive they are to your hand position when shooting. Brace height is one of the main keys to both accuracy and speed. The greater the brace height the more forgiving the bow - but also slower. This being said, as mentioned above, there are a lot of bows capable of 260-270 feet per second with graphite arrows and 100 grain broadheads or field points.

The bow shop where I could purchase bows at a discount was a victim of the recession and has gone out of business. Therefore, I haven't bought a new bow for quite some time. I shoot a Mathews Q2XL which has a longer riser ( 36" ) than some but I find to be more forgiving. Some folks will tell you a shorter riser is better for either tree stand or ground blind shooting - I've had no problem shooting from either with the longer riser.

Re: the issue of wounded game - I've shot everything from deer at 5 yards to pronghorn at 80 yards and have never lost an animal. Blood trailing is usually easy if a quality broadhead is used. A double lung shot on any animal will put it down in 50 yards whether gun or bow. I do agree that some folks think the "firepower" of a gun should enable them to take shots that are less than optimal - and often don't recover the animal.

I would suggest you go to a bow shop that will let you shoot the various bows you are considering buying. Judge the way the bow feels in your hand, bow recoil, and various other factors. One of the "issues" that I've found with a Mathews is that the cam is not adjustable for draw length. This means you have to purchase a bow with the correct draw length cam to fit your draw. And if you want to change your draw from the summer when it's warm to the winter when you're wearing a lot of hunting layers of clothing you're out of luck.

Also as mentioned above, there are a number of shooters in my area that like the Bowtech bows. I've found that much of the bow being shot in an area is dependent on the what brand the local shop carries.

As a last thought, please don't buy a bow off of Ebay to save a couple of dollars and then take it to the local bow shop to get it set up expecting quick service and cheap pricing. From experience I've seen this too many times - the local archery shop is a wealth of knowledge and can help you immensely in helping you get the bow to shoot well - from proper arrow spline to paper tuning. They don't, however, like to put you first in line if you didn't purchase the bow from them.

Good luck with your search. Bowhunting can extend your season, allow you to hunt earlier and later, and is a heck of lot more challenging and rewarding that gun hunting.

17. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Thanks for all the replies!

Matt

18. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

EE, I will tell you right off that I'm not a professional target shooter, but even I at 62 yrs old can shoot a 3 inch group at 40 yards with my bow. I have seen a lot of folks that can't do that with a rifle. I sell guns and mount scopes and set them with a lazer and normally they are withing inches at 100 yards but you wouldn't believe some of the folks just take them on out to hunt ranther than shoot them in. Oh, and I'm a PSE dealer. I also believe that just because a guy is using a rifle doesn't mean they can shoot them accurately. Have you ever noticed how many folks have dogs to blood trail injured deer. For the most part it's not because of bow hunters. Jackie B.

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jackie B., some guys even have trouble at 40 yards with a shotgun!! I have a PSE bow now and my next one will be a Bowtech! That is, if my shoulder ever straightens out to allow me to pull my bow again! Hap

20. Lyle

Lyle Member

EE,
    The modern bows shoot like a rifle. Sights and a trigger on the release just like a gun. How many non pro bow shooters do you need to see shoot a tight group inside of 40? I know several. (even some trapshooters!)

Lyle

PS. I have never lost a deer or elk with the bow or the rifle. I respect game more than most I know. My comment has nothing to do with a lack of respect for game. Quite the contrary.
    Merry Christmas to you EE.........(EE is not your ATA class is it? lol) only kidding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.