1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you believe the one pellet break theory @1145/8

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ajax, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

If you do why do you speed up your lighter loads?

Ajax

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I don't know if 1 #8 at 1145fps. could break a target. Maybe if it hit it just right. A #8 at 1145 has less then 1 foot/lb of energy at 40 yards.

I know I've seen a lot of targets "dusted". And picked up hundreds of unbroken clays with more than 1 hole in them.

Wayne

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

That is why they use a lot of #8s from the 16yd line, you need a lot of soldiers to do the job, I will never believe 1 number 8 will break a target especially at 1145, give me a bunch of them.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I thought it was well understood that 3-4 pellets were typically required to sufficiently fracture a bird, allowing the centrifugal force to break it apart?!

Jay

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Not sure what you mean by the "one pellet break theory"?

I have no doubt that just one pellet CAN break the target if it hits in just the right place, like on the rim causing a crack that procedes to split the target in half.

John C. Saubak

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Targets thrown with a higher RPM rate will break much easier with less pellet hits than those thrown from a worn machine. Trap machine maintenance to keep the RPMs on the high side helps with better scores. Lots of clubs will only work on traps that are completely broken down? If you see an extraordinary amount of targets merely dusted throughout the days shooting, those traps are not spinning the targets with enough RPMs. Higher RPMs make for a more stabilized flight also.

Hap

7. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

You all have heard of the 'GOLDEN BB "

8. clyslr

clyslr Member

Here in the west..in the desert, we get older targets that are brittle from lack of moisture. They brake easier.

Clayslayer(Dennis)

9. Hauser

Hauser Member

Shot is like sperm. The right one in the right spot will get the job done.

Jerry Hauser

10. clyslr

clyslr Member

Also above 5000 Ft. and 90 degrees and 18 percent humidity #8 shot doesn't loose much velocity between muzzle and target.

Clayslayer(Dennis)

11. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

No doubt that one pellet can break a target.

But will one pellet break my next target ?

12. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

It's almost always a single pellet strike that breaks the clay. Sometimes some earlier strikes may have skipped off the clay; these were single pellet strikes that didn't break the clay, but the key point is they don't contribute much to later strikes. A later strike may also skip off, or it may shatter the clay. Sometimes, some follow-up pellets further break the pieces of an already shattered clay, but that doesn't alter the fact that an earlier single strike had already done the business.

Apart from the case of when two pellets strike at exactly the same time (impossible if you go to a fine enough time resolution) or where a subsequent impact gains from an earlier one by striking in almost the same location, the pellet impacts can be treated as independent single events. That's why I say it's (almost) always a single pellet strike that breaks the clay.

The failure of a pellet strike to break the clay is because for the given impact angle and position, the pellet was underpowered.

Andrew.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I believe in getting as many pellets on the target as possible. When the target turns into an ink spot then you know you had about the right number of pellets on target.

14. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I think the energy, size/wgt. of shot, velocity et al have been deeply researched in articles by Ceretto and Woodhouse(?) trapshooting magazine. Good stuff for those who are detailed oriented.

15. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Andrew, when you say the pellet was underpowered. Are you saying the size 8 @1145 is underpowered?

Ajax

16. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

It depends on how many devils are dancing on the head of the #8 pellet at the exact moment of strike. I know there's a formula for that somewhere, if I can just find it. (The Devil's in the details.)

Sam Ogle

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I think we'd be surprised if we knew how few pellets it takes to turn the target into an "ink spot"?

18. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

Are you absolutely certain that the results would be different for a #7 1/2 also started out at 1145 fps?

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Cowboy, I'll agree that the pellet number for the ink spot conversion is a small fraction of what is launched at the target. My guess is somehere around 15 and that is based on the limited number of paper patterns that I have shot. I guess what I was getting at is that these kinds of theoretical discussions may be good for killing time but aren't of much use when you are on the line attempting to laydown a clean score.

20. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Dr. Andrew, I can accept/agree with everything you said but this:

"The failure of a pellet strike to break the clay is because for the given impact angle and position, the pellet was underpowered."

If thats the case, then all the pellets in that load are underpowered, or that particular pellet should have been lagging way behind the shot string and falling rapidly, not even close to the target.

How does a pellet have enough energy to punch a hole through a clay and not break it? Can a single #8 pellet at 640 fps. at 40 yards, with .96 ft/lbs of energy break a clay? Hell yes it can. But thats rare in my opinion, you need at least two or more. JMO

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.