1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do we really save any money by reloading?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Perazzi_MX8, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

New premium shells (AA, STS/Nitro, Federal GM) are now about 8.99 a box and readily available. If one buys 5 flats of AA they offer a 5% discount per sealed flat from Sportsman's Warehouse. Plus Winchester will give me a $100.00 rebate for 5 flats (50 boxes) of AA's. I have had no problem selling once fired AA hulls for 4 cents each by the thousand.

With the price of components today it costs me about 6.25 a box to reload 12 GA. shells for trap. This is based on Sportsman's Warehouse prices for components in Denver. Shot is 49.99 for 25# of Magnum Shot, Red Dot is 135.00 for an 8 lb. jug, primers are non-existent but 35.00 a thousand if available, and factory wads are 13.95 per 500. Hulls I have already.

I know I could use Chedite or Rio primers, reclaimed shot, and 1 ounce loads to save money. I'm only interested in quality components like what is in premium shells. I want to shoot a load with the same quality as premium factory shells. It seems for the first 5 flats this year AA's are as cheap as reloading in the end.

2. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

I have a store of components . Shot I bought from $12-25. Wads I paid $70/ 10'Ooo, clays powder 8 lbs for $90. So yes, I can save money. When those run out, probably not.

3. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Last time I figured, I was spending $3.43/box for 1 oz. of reclaimed, Promo powder, etc. Worth it IF you have the time AND equipment.
    dju

4. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

A couple of things about this post caused me to think a while, then decide to post.

First-I buy as many flats as I can get when there is a rebate. So does my wife. We bought Federal and Winchester last year. The prices of Federal, with the rebate worked out to $5 per box with Winchesters at $6 per box, plus, of course, the 7% tax on the full retail price of the flat.

I reload both as well as Remington hulls (didn't purchase any Remington last year as there was no rebate).

Nice shells, good price.

I reload, however, using only Clays for singles and PB for handicap as both meter very well and I like what they do.

I used to only use STS shot, but since that is no longer available, I use Lawrence or West Coast Magnum shot.

I use CB or DR wads and Winchester 209s.

I believe my shells are as good as any I can buy. I have had very, very few bad shells (I had one jug of Clays that was all clumped up and I had trouble with it till I dumped it out, broke up the clumps and shot it for practice). Otherwise, only one bad primer (or I tried to use a once-fired one).

I have had several new AAs not fire at all. Bad primers I suppose.

Cost is a bit less than the OPs, shot at $40, wads at $75 per case, the rest about the same. I think it costs me just over $5 per box to load Clays, a bit more for PB loads. Cost is a bit higher if I buy the wads from the Dollar, and I do buy some there.

And, for me, reloading is a hobby itself. I don't watch TV much, can't remember the last time I watched a show on the regular channels, but do watch movies or series a couple of times a week. The last movie we went to was Master and Commander-The Far Side of the World in 2003. My wife works and is beat when she gets home in the evenings, so other than shooting trap and Church, we are pretty much homebodies.

I often just go into our third bedroom, which I turned into a gun and reloading room, and reload. I have large trash cans full of once-fired old AAs, old "Silver Bullets," Nitros and STS, new red AAs and thousands of Gun Clubs in there and realize I will never live long enough to use them up. But, I still buy them from time to time and there is a shooter at the Dollar who gives me lots of hulls.

I hope my wife's new boyfriend or husband is a trapshooter since it's all set up for him when I go. I plan to have my guns clean and ready for him, too.

So, yes I save money by reloading unless I get the shells with a rebate. We (my wife shoots, too) usually use new shells for handicap (though I don't really know why) but use reloads for singles and doubles.

If I didn't reload, what would I do in the evenings other than hang out here?

Bob

5. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

YES if you buy your components right. I am at around $4.13 for 1 1/8 loads.

Cheapest loads out of the stores here, are $6 for one ouncer's.

6. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

timberfaller,

Where do you get components so cheap? Are you using reclaimed shot to get down to 4.13 a box? I bought 15K primers (Win 209) from Recob's, because I can't get them here, and they were 35.00 a thousand with shipping and hasmat shipped in one box. Shot has really jumped in price and shipping it would be expensive from anywhere. I used the cost calculator on Colorado Trap Assn. web-site. With today's prices here locally it's really getting pricey. PLEASE share your sources with me to buy in bulk if I can ship them here.

7. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Wouldn't you really prefer to see the reloading room and guns?

Bob

8. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

Calculating cost per box based on this year's cost of components amounts to $4.41.
    Load is based on using Red Dot, Win. 209 primer, CB 1100-12 wad, 1 oz. West Coast Mag. shot. Reclaimed shot would reduce the cost significantly, but I never have nor will I use reclaimed shot.

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I am using shot I bought several years ago. use reclaim for almost all of my club shooting. I only shoot around 4-5 thousand a year, so when I buy I buy volumes. lead costs are the big factor of course.

10. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I reload on the light side and am still using a large store of components I purchased years ago, so my costs per box are still $4.

But, to answer your question, I don't save any money because I'm still shooting up what I reload. If I quit reloading, Ill most likely quit shooting so that would be where my savings would materialize.

IMHO,
    Kip

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Cost savings (if any) is just a side benefit to me.

I reload because it's still fun, I can get the performance I want, and I don't enjoy driving 15 miles (30 round trip) to buy shells (which may or may not be in stock). To each his own. Do whatever makes you happy.

Bob Falfa

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Reloading has been a hobby for me since 1955. It is a joy to break a great score with your home brewed reloads. My best scores have come with reloads. What is something worth that you get great enjoyment from? Shooting like most other sports is an expensive venture. If you can't afford it, don't shoot,watch TV. Having Children every year or so is a much more costly hobby,I proved that.
    I shoot the games most every week with 1-1/4---1 1/2 oz loads. I reload them for $8-$10. . Factory loads will run you $15-$25. a box. Breaking taargets at 60-90 yards is far more challenging that boring registered shooting that accomplishs very little. If reloading cost the same as new,I would still do it for the enjoyment & satisfaction.
    Clyde Doll

13. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Powder Cost $

Pounds

Grains in Reload

Primer Cost $

Primer Qty

Wad Cost $

Wad Qty

Shot Cost $

Pounds

Ounces in Reload

Hull Cost $

Hull Qty

Number of times hull will be used

Price of Factory Shells in your Area $

Cost of Reloader $

ComponentCost
    Per Load
    Cost
    Per Box
    Notes
    Powder$
    $

loads at
    grains per
    pounds
    Primers$
    $

Wads$
    $

Shot$
    $

loads at
    ounces per
    pounds
    Hulls$
    $
     Hull
    will be used
    times
    Reload
    without Hull
    $
    $

Reload
    with Hull
    $
    $

Savings
    between per box of reloads and factory loads without hull. $

NaN
    Savings
    between per box of reloads and factory loads with hull. $

NaN
    It
    will take you

NaN
    boxes of reloads or
    NaN
    reloads to pay for the reloader
    without hull.
    It
    will take you

NaN
    boxes
    of reloads or

NaN

reloads to pay for the reloader with hull.
    Powder
    Type

Green Dot
    Primer
    Type

Cheditte
    Wad
    Type

DRFIG8
    Shot
    Type

Northwest
    Hull
    Type

Rem

14. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

When the cost of relaoding goes up, factory shells aren't far behind. It always amuses me when people stop reloading because new shells are cheaper. Not for long. Mark

15. 548

548 Guest

My singles load uses 16.5 grains of Red Dot and 1-1/16 oz shot. Cost is 4.51/box.

My handicap load uses 20.5 grains of Green Dot and 1-1/16 oz shot. Cost is 4.70/box.

16. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Every now and then you guys make me do some work. My 1oz loads of reclaimed shot,claydot,claybuster wads,cheddite primers with free hulls cost me $3.50 a box. I use this load for practice of all games and of course 16yd.
    My got to have this target load is 1 1/8oz of 7.5, unique powder(24gr), claybuster wads, federal primer and free top gun hulls costs me $4.85 a box. Just shy of new top gun shells. Imho better performance. I will continue to reload.

17. wm rike

wm rike Member

After all the monkey-business and adjustments for rebates, selling the hulls, buying second-tier shells, and so forth, there's still an extra couple bucks in it for the reloader. All sorts of arguments can be made for the quality of reloads (up, down, fair, good, gooder), but that couple dollars is still hanging there. It's just a matter of what drives you.

18. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I only load 28 ga. anymore, so yes...I save a boatload of dough doing it.

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I save a little but I enjoy reloading my shells, I load Promo Powder, Rio Primers, Windjammer Wads in STS,Nitro 27 shells 18 grs.

But I also load 26 Grs 800-X 1 3/16ths oz #6s in Rio Hull, Windjammer Wad,
    Rio Primer. Less than 9,000psi about 1300fps, line back ups and short yardage shootoffs.

STS and Nitro 27 with 33.5 grains Longshot 1 1/8th #6s Windjammer wad, Rio Primer,Less than 9,000psi approx 1475fps. for shootoffs. Mid range shootoffs
    Long range shootoffs increase to 35.3 grs Longshot gets you 10,000psi and 1530fps for long range shootoffs.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The key right now here in Wisconsin is the lead cost. Primers (WW209), I recently bought were $144/5000. Wads $11.99/bag. Lead last bought was $38/bag, but has since increased to $44/bag. STS hulls were .03/piece. Red Dot $99/8 lbs. With tax I calculate $5.11/box. New is $9.49 w/tax. After rebates ($2/box), and hull sales (.05/piece), comes to $7.60/box. Not calculating the multiple case discount if any applies. 5 case limit applies to the rebates, ($100). Unless you get crafty. LOL

I bought the 366 used for $250 long ago, so the cost has been eliminated long ago, due to the fact that the calculator says it would have been paid for in 54 boxes of reloads, compared to new.

Just came across a deal on reclaimed lead that is very good lead, polished and graphite, for $29/bag. Which bring the cost per box down to $4.34/box.

Unfortunately the costs of targets, league, and gas are rising. So by the time you figure the total cost to go shoot, it has risen significantly in the past year. So in total, saving everything you can just might allow you to shoot more, if at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.