1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DO WE MAKE TRAPSHOOTING HARDER THAN IT IS?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    with all the gadgets, barrel work, adjustable stocks, adjustable ribs, height of ribs, trigger adjustment, size of beads, color of beads, trigger pull, release triggers, cast on , cast off, recoil pads, color of pad, adjustable pads, rocker pads, choke tubes, fixed chokes, open chokes, tighten the choke, don't like the way the pattern looks on paper, shoots to high, to low, 1 inch to the left , to the right, not enough pellets in a 30 inch circle, shells, 3 dram, 2 3/4 dram, shot size, brand of shot, the list can go on and on and on and on. DO TRAPSHOOTERS MAKE THIS GAME HARDER THAN IT ACTUALLY IS ??? a friend of mine, who has little to no education, sometimes i think he was raised by dingos, and possibly, a band of stray cats, but is a very good shooter. i once saw him break a 98 in doubles at a ATA event. after he shot i asked him to teach me to shoot doubles. one week later, we are at the area club and he said"try to break the first target as fast as you can, then look at the second target and break that one too". he said "a gun's a gun, a target is a target, and a trap is a trap". think about it???
    steve balistreri

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Steve

I like the way this guy thinks!

3. senior smoke

EE- true, i do need to get out more. but, do we make this game harder than it is? see the target, break it.
    steve

4. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Years ago I took a hunting buddy to the club to introduce him to trapshooting. We watched a practice squad shoot and all 5 shooters ran 'em. He went into the clubhouse, looked at all the pictures on the wall, had a cup of coffee and left. He never returned and told me later that he was looking for something more challenging.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Absolutely we do, it is our nature. We also like to mimick the skilled shooters in everyway possible.

See the bird-shoot the bird is the best advice I ever got about the game. I wouldn't have believed it was just that simple if the advice and instruction had come from anyone other than Phil Kiner. Way more effective than any special shell/gun/fashion accessory.

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Probably yes but it's not as much fun as it could be. Set the machines to throw wobble targets and then it becomes fun.

Eric

7. senior smoke

bigheap- now that is funny!
    steve

8. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

I remember some advice an old timer gave me many years ago. Trap shooting is simple. 1) Put the gun to shoulder, 2) call for the target, 3) break the target and 4) take the gun down. Can't get any simpler than that. Keep on smoking them.

9. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

senoir smoke- IMHO, Yes. I see too many shooters with adjustable everything on there guns. One bad round and they're back with wrenches and screw drivers "fixing" their gun. I learned a long time ago it's NOT the gun.

Joe

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

So why doesen't everyone break them all, if it's so easy?

11. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Yes...Because your subconscious is harder to entertain than your conscious.

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Yes, it's really a pretty simple game

13. jimsw

jimsw Member

Steve you have it right. We do try to make it harder than it is. Years ago I was at a shoot in Las Vegas. We had a wicked squall line go through during a doubles event, violent wind from the north, birds going everywhere, missed birds hitting the ground behind the shooters etc. They stopped the shooting after the first 50 to wait on the weather. Harlan Campbell shot a great score in spite of the weather. I asked him how did you shoot that score? His answer,"Well I tried real hard to break the first bird and then I tried real hard to break the second bird."

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Shot410ga....ever try wobble doubles? Now there is a real challenge!

15. nomoloscofoso

nomoloscofoso Member

Jimsw

Was that at Bob Taylors!!??

Same thing happened there with the the wind in or about 1973????

Do remember missed targets landing at the 16 yd line!

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Absolutely! My late uncle was an excellent trapshooter but he wouldn't even be able to comprehend half the technical discussions on this website. Someone once joked that he was great at trapshooting because he was too dumb to understand how hard it was. Sometimes there is wisdom in simplification.

-Gary

17. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

what's wrong with, keeping your head down, stay with the target,and keep the gun moving, simple enough, so why do we miss.

18. jimsw

jimsw Member

No, it was at the Las Vegas Gun Club in the early 90's. I might have broken something like a 35 on the first 50 - not too great. I think Harlan may have only dropped 2 or 3 in the first 50. It was a great performance.

When these great shooters tell you this is a simple game they mean it. They have the ability to forget all the foolish stuff others worry about. The great shooters simply execute the basics over and over again. "When something goes wrong the answer is in the basics." (That is a direct quote from Frank Little in a clinic I took with him a couple of years before he passed away.) Frank didn't care about 7 1/2's vs 8's, the color of your beads, what kind of recoil pad you use or the other silly stuff shooters worry about.

Phil Kiner is the same. Concentrate on executing the basics properly and the bird will smoke. It is simple to say but difficult to execute over and over. I took a Kiner clinic this year and it was a great experience.

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Trapshooting is a game of developing bad habits-then breaking 'em!!

20. biff

biff Active Member

Old Cowboy, yep it is pretty simple but very meaningful! It is much more meaningful than Tiddley-Winks or Hull-Gull! Biff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.