1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do We Have Way Too Many Classes<-???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by $$$SHTR, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Drew,

I agree with you 100%. At smaller shoots I see 4-5 classes in singles and doubles with 2-5 contestants in some of the classes. Also, handicap events have each yardage group,(2, 3, or 4 groups), plus sometimes runner-up. In my mind, at any shoot with less that 100 contestants, there should be no more than 3 classes in singles and doubles (no runner-up) and handicap should be winner and runner-up period.

I can see offering more at the larger shoots, but the smaller shoots are dying on the vine as people just can't justify spending $50.00 (maybe more today) to enter an event and then win a $5.00 prize. This is not little league, everyone should not win something. Before some of you start crying that the big dogs will win everything, I have yet to see a big dog at a small 3-5 trap club trying to win the Sunday handicap.

Tomas

2. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Add one more class....PRO

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Are you sure about that HOA at the Grand, Drew?

Rather than start this at the ATA, Drew, why not start it at your local club and see how it works.

Here's the deal. Say you have two prophies for 100 shooters. That would give you a one in 50 chance, if there weren't some people at the club who are far more likely to post a winning score than you are. But let's say handicap does work, and you have a 1 in 50.

If you shoot 1000 handicap a year, which is way more than most do, you should, over the long term, win every five years or so. At bigger shoots, you might win once in a lifetime, but probably not. Trophies motivate people to shoot. Make them almost impossible to get, and many will not keep trying.

Neil

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Drew,

How many class, yardage groups or HC Champions did you win last year? How many targets did you shoot?

5. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I agree also. Except handicap seems about right. Not sure I think all new shooters should start at 20 yards though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.