1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do u tell people at work that you shoot trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Most of my adult life I worked in the banking industry. I learned the hard way not to ever mention at work that I was a trapshooter. My female boss was very anti gun and once she found out that I liked to shoot trap our business relationship was virtualy over, as she came out and told me that she could never have someone work for her that liked guns of any kind. Luckily for me, her boss was a trapshooter and hunter and I was able to transfer out of her department.

After that fiasco, I decided to never discuss trapshooting at work to anyone. Do any of you tell your boss or co workers that you are in the shooting sports? If so, how do they take it?
    Steve Balistreri

2. tomaso

tomaso Member

i live in upstate new york where hunting is still okay-ish. i am a surgeon and do not hesitate to say i shoot. a partner and his kids have tried it and others probably will. i am not ashamed of being a shooter and do not hide it. i do not envy the position you were in steve, but have not had to face it.we get anti-gunners here, but i try not to take the cheap shot of reminding them they now live out in the country, no policeman will be driving by. tom mc

3. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I discuss trap shooting at work and have even talked a few into trying it. Two of them have become regular shooters and ATA members. I promote it every chance I get. Im pround to exercise my 2nd amendment right in any way that i can!!!! Shoot proudly!!

4. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

You bet. I take my customers out to give it a try. Girls at the bank even wanted me to bring my trap gun inside so they could see what it looked like. We settled on checking it out in the parking lot.

5. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

When I owned my own business everyone was OK with it. I was the boss. When I sold my business and went to work for a government agency, my work requires me to carry a gun most of the time. No problems there either.

6. bozwell

bozwell TS Member

I've never had a problem with it. It was a bit awkward when I had 10 flats of birdshot delivered to the office once (woops!), but more due to the bulk of it rather than what it was. That said, most of the folks in our office are shooters, and we've introduced several of our summer associates/interns to clays and pistol shooting. I'd say it just depends on where you work and who you work with.

7. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

No problem, but most think skeet and trap are the same thing.

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

It's actually quite interesting the responses I received when I ask folks if they fish or do any shooting sports... even those who might ante up a "I would never..."

That said, by asking I have found a quite large number of customers who enjoy the outdoors and have been appreciative of an invite...

Jay

9. pakk

pakk Member

In the last 5 years or so I've taken about a dozen of my co-workers shooting. I tell them to go buy some walmart ammo and bring some money for targets and I'll provide the gun. After I get them hooked, I let them borrow my loaner gun until they are ready to buy their own. I've gotten 5 of them to buy their own guns and introduced them to the world of shooting. I teach them safety and control. I now have a winter trap team with my co-workers.

2 weeks ago about 8 co-workers and myself went shooting at my boss's club. They are only open to the public twice a month. I'm going there tomorrow. Life is good.

10. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I always told people I am a hunter and shooter when I worked. Now I'm retired, I still bring it up with new acquaintances. I have had a few ignorant comments over the years, but for the most part, people are good with it. It seems the pendulum is swinging back to guns being a good thing in society. Even my vegan sisters want to know how I did trapshooting (and hunting, occasionally). I have noticed more young people, both male and female, using the range facilities at our club, especially the tacticool wannabes, but so long as they are shooting safely, more power to them. My son has gotten a few of his friends hunting and shooting, and even had one friends wife buy her own 9mm, before her husband bought his first firearm.

It seems that more women are interested in the shooting sports these days, and at least in my experience, seem to be more open to taking up shooting as a hobby, more so than men. Men who start shooting spend more time and money at it, but women should start to catch up soon. It is just like motorcycling; the fastest growing market segment is women on cruisers. Big bikes, big guns - some silly bugger let out the secret of how much fun we have been having all these years, and now the women want their share of the fun.

11. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Guess Im lucky, Have always lived in th conservative south(other than military duty) and other than a time of being self employed I was either in the military or working on a Miliraty Base. Not a lot of libs around, so I never had a problem.

12. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

After retirement many folks ask me what I do to keep busy. I borrowed Leo's line of "I empty shotgun shells"

13. lel4866

lel4866 Member

I work at a large software company (10,000 employees worldwide). Just 3 offices down happened to be a guy who loves pistol shooting. We talk guns all the time. Across the hall is a guy who has a share in a local hunting club (I think he looks down on me as a "target shooter").

Whenever I've mentioned that I've taken up trap shooting, I haven't seen any negative reaction yet - most people display a mild interest.

YMMV

14. wbill

wbill Member

Sure I do. I am not ashamed of my 2ND amendment right at all. I have been fighting all my life for it. Bill

15. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I have trophies and patches on top of a book shelf at work and even put a plaque or two on the wall above that. One time someone was giving me a hard time and a lady who came from a 'rough' part of Chicago said, 'do you know Joe has a gun?' to which I replied, 'we only shoot these little clay targets'.

That has been my response when non-shooters bring it up - I shoot little clay targets.

It hasn't been a problem.

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have never done anything I wouldn't admit to and even boast about from time to time ... I have done somethings with a few people I would hate to have to admit to, if put under pressure and so not to lie I will but I can blame it on having to much to drink or something else that makes sense ... Back in the days when I was dating some mornings it was hell to wake up and look next to you ... I don't care who knows I shoot and figure if they don't like it "Oh Well" their problem ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I had a carrer where all the folks carried guns....

I've never worried about telling anybody that I shoot trap, hunt, fish, etc...and given the right circumstance I would have liked shooting a few bad guys...if someone got offended..well, as Walter Matthau said in Grumpy Old Men.....eat my shorts!!

The banking industry is known for being infested with a bunch of wimps and pencil necks...so it shouldn't matter if they got offended or not...

Curt

FEAB9

18. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Yes, i did when I was working. I even invited most people that I told to try the sport. I'm always happy to introduce new people to our game. Bulge.

19. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

I tell anyone who asks about what I do with my time since I retired that I shoot. Some then ask if I hunt and kill animals and I respond that since Vietnam I don't shoot at anything living unless it is armed and can shoot back.

ps: Wouldn't the OP be able to sue if he were fired becuase he was a trapshooter/gun owner?

20. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Our company use to have as many people on the trap league as the golf league did. Then the Winchester Gun Club closed. Sad day.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.