1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do u shoot a practice round b 4 tournament starts?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    How many of you shoot a practice round before you shoot an event at a major tournament? What is your logic of either doing this or not doing this? A friend of mine does not like to do this as he feels he doesn't want to waste a 25 in practice. He will even go as far as missing a target on purpose in the practice round because of this superstition. I think this is ludicrous. What is your feeling about practice rounds before you start shooting?
    Steve Balistreri

2. leadvail

leadvail Member

I did like practice rounds untill I would run 25 or a 24 and then blow it by dropping the first one out or shooting a 17 or something like that. Its like those starting on post 1 or 5. Get it over with.

Interesting thread, anxious to see what other folks say their experience has been. Bob

3. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

Almost always, and most of the time, it helps, especially at a club I've never been to before. Problem is, it never helps me *enough*, lol.

4. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I am just getting back into competitive shooting after a long hiatus, but I like a practice round. I prefer to shoot from the 20 before singles and from a yard or two behind my handicap before handicap. Then when I get to move up it seems easier. Jack

5. milkmaster

milkmaster TS Member

I don't necessarily shoot an entire round. I mostly shoot a couple of shots from each station. All I am really doing with practice is checking the speed of the machines. I know all that is supposed to be set, but there are differences! Good Luck!

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

No, never. I practice at home.

John C. Saubak

7. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I think of my first round as a warm up round whether it's for a score or not.

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

To me personally, I enjoy shooting a practice round as it seems to help me. I can not tell you how many times I would start shooting a tournament without shooting a practice round first, and then I would start out with a terrible first round score, and then shoot great for the next three rounds.

What I like to do is squad in the middle of the pack so I have time to shoot a practice round in case there is a long line at the ptractice traps so I don't have to worry about rushing or missing my squad when it is called. To me, rushing at a shoot can kill good scores.
    Steve

9. RED Z06

RED Z06 Member

I usually shoot a round, sometimes two, depending how much time I have before I start. I like to loosen up a bit and try to "set" my concentration a little before I start.

Sometimes the back ground at a club I don't frequent regularly can take a little time to adjust to. So for me practice round(s) are usually my norm.

Thanks,
    Pat

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I did not shoot a practice round before the real event for many years but I'm gonna start doing it now. I have been having more frequent problems with the intermittent crossfire and it seems especially bad on the 1st trap where I can shoot a 17 before my eyes even start working as a team.

11. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

I like 1/2 a practice and give the remaining targets to a youth. Birdtracker

12. John55

John55 Active Member

I like to but don't manage to do it very often. I don't want/need to fire 25 rounds to get warmed up so many times will split a round with someone. Two or three shots off of each post is plenty.

13. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I generally shoot a practice round on doubles..The backgrounds vary so much between clubs and are impacted by how they are set at different clubs.....SMOKIT

14. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I used to shoot a practice round, but it really didn't do me any good. If I could shoot several practice rounds, that would help. I'm going to try splitting a practice round with someone next time to see if that will do anything for me.

15. otnot

otnot Active Member

Always!

16. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Smokit, are you sure you only shoot ONE practice round?

17. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I do just to get me loosened up.

18. RonC

RonC TS Member

I like a couple of shots a post not full rounds. Failing the reduced practice rounds I do bounce my eyes around a bit to loosen up the eye muscles. My brain thinks it helps

Ron

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I think practicing before each event helps your focus.

20. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Given my sorry performance at yesterdays first ATA shoot of the year (for me) I probably should have but I don't know if it would have made a whole lot of difference....I need a gun fitter and clinic real bad....that and a practice facility closer than a 1 hour drive away...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.