1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Do u remember the day you started your lst ft job?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Active Member

Hello:
    Do you remember your first day on your first full time job? What type of work was it, do you remember your bosses name?

My first day of full time work started exactly one month after I got home from the service. I worked at Security savings and loan association, and my first boss was Joe Ciardo.

He was around 5'4", 118 lbs, and he was a task master. If he liked you he'd give you the shirt off his back. If he did not care for you, may God help you. The people in the office called him little Hitler, behind his back. I learned a lot from Joe, and he always was a fare boss. He's no longer with us, but I miss those days.

Do you remember your first day and your bosses name?
    Steve Balistreri
  2. Catpower

Catpower Well-Known Member

Yup it was on the family farm I was about 8 or 9 and my bosses name was Dad, and he was the best boss I ever had
  3. senior smoke

Catpower:
    Those are the best bosses to have.
    Steve
  4. slayer

slayer Active Member

Pickin pickles in the Michigan summer heat, with Mom and sis on grandpas farm. Still the hardest job I ever worked. Learned the meaning of a days work. Bill
  5. senior smoke

Bill:
    How many bushels did you usually pick a day?
    Steve
  6. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Selling Christmas trees in the snow, out in front of the local grocery store. The boss gave me the choice of pay by the hour or pay by tree sold.

I chose the commission route and have never looked back.
  7. 391 shooter

391 shooter Active Member

Driving the tractor carrying palmetto roots out of the field my Father was prepairing to plant a crop of Cucumbers in Florida, I was 9 years old. When I got older I had to pick up the palmetto roots and put them on the haul out trailer, it was just part of growing up.
  8. mette56

mette56 Active Member

Yep I remember. First full-time (summer) job was with A & P Grocery in Marlin, TX. I was 15 years old. Pay was $1.00/hour. Obie Broyles was my boss. First day I went to work my dad asked me what my job would be. I said "sacking groceries". Dad said, "when there's no grocerys to sack, pick up a broom and clean". Both Obie and dad left a lasting impression on me and especially my work ethic throughout my lifetime. Thanks to both of them!

milt
  9. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

B Co, 2nd Bn, 2nd Bde BCT. Ft Polk, La. D/S SFC Berube. I DID NOT leave anything there I would go back for! Ha ha! It wasn't just a job, it was an adventure... Rick Gibbs
  10. 391 shooter

391 shooter Active Member

B Co, 2nd Bn, 2nd Bde BCT. Ft Polk, La. D/S SFC Berube

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  11. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Member

It was when I was still in high school. I worked at the Empress Hotel in Victoria, B.C., as a steward in the housekeeping department. It paid 41.35/hour, and my supervisor's name was Andreas Somethinggreekandunpronouncable, who spoke english poorly. I worked Saturday and Sunday mornings, then Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings, getting off at midnight after the buses stopped running, so I got to borrow the family car tocould get home to bed by 1245, and get up at 0700 for school.
  12. mette56

mette56 Active Member

41.35/hour? No wonder the dollar is out-of-balance with Canada.
  13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Active Member

Working for a local lumber yard my bosses name wasAbe Austin of Austin Lumber and Hardware store. Great family and great place to work and learn.
  14. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I graduated public school with a major in HVAC everbody went to the shore for spring break and I went looking for employment. Local Carrier dealer named Ron Levick he hired me on the spot and told me to take his Caddy home to get changed into work clothes I was like wow didnt realize how fast a Caddy could go. That was 30 years ago Now I teach the trade in the same school dist. (Phila.)
  15. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Army basic training 391 shooter at Ft Polk in Louisana. 08-08-74
  16. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Member

That should read $1.35/hour. This is what happens when you type too fast and don't edit.
  17. Norsky

Norsky TS Member

Went to work on a ranch in western ND the night I got out of the 8th grade in 1957. Got $50 month plus board and room. Not bad pay for 80+ hrs a week. Ranch/farm/construction work was good incentive to get a college degree.
  18. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

My first real full time job started 18 years ago when I joined the Air Force.

Chad
  19. senior smoke

I am always amazed at the different types of professions the people on this site had. Lots of hard working people.
    Steve
  20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Active Member

Was a busboy at a fancy downtown Baltimore Italian restaurant...made $2.65/hr plus the waitresses had to split tips with us for greeting tables with menus, filling water glasses and taking fresh bread/butter to the table before they got there..and of course..cleaning/resetting tables and hauling big trays of food for large groups...I later got promoted to Maitre' D..started working at 14 and a half...before I had my drivers license my dad rode me to work on his way to GM plant and picked me up on his way home from his own 4-12:30 shift...my taxi fee from him was a fresh cold cut sub or some other sandwich for his next days lunch..he put on 25lbs in the almost 2 yrs he was my ride : ) ..got to do my homework during meal break and in the kitchen during slow times..My bosses were the DeNitti family..they treated all of us like family
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.