1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DO U REMEMBER THE 1ST TIME U SHOT A SHOTGUN???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    on St. Patricks day in 1972 i came home from the army. my soon to be future brother in law asked me if i would like to go trapshooting? he took me to the cudahy gun club and i shot a score of 8. i fall in love with the sport after shooting 25 targets. the next day i went to kohl's dept store and purchased a winchester 1200 field gun. i went to a rock quarry the next day and my soon to be wife agreed to use a hand thrower so i could shoot. i shot at a couple of targets and a police officer showed up and we almost got arrested. my scores are not that much better today, but i still have the same enthuiasm for the sport that i had in 1972. i met a young man the other night at a local gun club and it was his first time shooting. he rented a trap grade 870, purchased a box of new shells and proceeded to shoot a score of 10. you would of thought he just won the grand american handicap he was so happy. it brought back alot of merories for me. he said he loved this sport already, and asked questions about the game, guns, and clothing. if we all could remember the excitement and enthuiasm that we once had, i feel our scores could possibly go up. in 37 years of shooting i have had 1 100 straight in ata shooting. what is great about this sport is the next time you shoot, you have a chance to do something special. i told my wife if single women put a dab of hoppes no.9 behind their ears, they would have men following them like the pied pieper. i would be rich if i could bottle the smell if a federal paper shell shot in october on a crisp morning on the opening day of pheasant hunting. gives me the chills. i love shooten!!!!! do you remember the first time you shot?
    steve balistreri

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

1957. I shot my Mom's M-42 Winchester with the 3" load. I did not hold the gun right and it kicked the taste out of my mouth.

The next year, in 1958, I shot the first Volunteer Skeet Shoot at the old Nashville Gun Club with it. I have been hooked ever since, and hope to shoot the 51st Volunteer at the Tennessee Clay Target Complex this spring.

3. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Hi,It was back in about 1981,I would have been 15 at the time and my dad bought me a used Sears 12 ga. side by side to hunt with.I did not get into trap until about 1988 and actually tried trapshooting with the old Sears gun,I think I managed 9 with it from 16 yds.I switched to my 1300 NWTF turkey gun the following week and shot it one night,then bought a new 870 with 30" full bbl and managed my first 25 with it after a few weeks and about a 1 1/2 yrs. later I bought a New Citori at the Grand in Ohio.I still have that old Sears shotgun but I haven't shot it in 20 yrs.Regards.

4. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Little did I know when a friend ask me to ride along with him to the trap club that my life would be changed forever. He loaned me his model 12 field gun to shoot a round of singles. I didn't break many targets but I was hooked. Two wives divorced me along the way but I never stopped shooting.

Another good thread, Steve.

BB

5. senior smoke

Booger blue- isn't it amazing how certain things change our lives.
    take care,
    steve

6. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Single shot .410, 2 1/2 shells, shooting sparrows and black birds at the hog farm with my Dad and Gra'pa. I was around 6 yrs. old in 1970. I think I was born with a BB gun. My Gra'pa would pay me 10 cents a bird. Only sparrows and black birds were allowed. Do you know how many birds you can shoot in one day on a hog farm with corn chop feeders? A LOT. Now that I am older, I realize that Gra'pa willingly paid the 10 cents to keep me out of his hair. Great memories.

First time I shot a 12 gauge was New Years Eve 1974. My Gra'pa was buried 3 days earlier. Shot his Stevens double barrel at midnight. Will never forget that.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Sure; 1949, at 9 years, on the Sacramento River, on a dock and was handed a light SXS, maybe 5 lbs, and told to try the gun with a goose load. One try, nearly put me in the drink, and I wish I had and left the ogre's gun at the bottom of the river now that I realize the mean thing he did Somehow, I grew to love guns of any shape .....Bob Dodd

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

You bet...it was a Winchester 37, 20ga that belonged to my uncle. The stck had a crack in the pistol grip and it piched me every time I shot it!...didn't seem to be too much fun at the time.

9. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

1st time I fired a shotgun...aged 13 or so with an 'el cheapest' single barrel made in Brazil...the rabbit never knew what hit it and neither did I. A year later 1st time at clays (after working most of the day as a trapboy) tried a pair of doubles...hit'em both...sure do wish I'd quit while I was ahead...but the bug bit me bad...REEEAAALLL BAD. Thank you-Graham.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I was nine years old and went hunting with a Stevens bolt action 410. Finally saw a squirrel looking at me about half way up an oak tree. I was very proud of the first game I brought to the table. I was a trap boy by 10 years of age and at 13, I had a very small business guiding others to blinds we built on prairie ponds. I loved to hunt ducks, but I liked getting paid a couple of bucks and taking two other business men with me to hunt ducks/geese. I learned a lot from these hunters.

Pat Ireland

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

1949 at age 7 my church basketball coach took me hunting. He had a Stevens 16 ga break open single shot that he let me use. I killed my first rabbit with it. He developed cancer about 10 years later and he asked his wife to see that I got the shotgun when he died, I still have it. It will go to my oldest son as he has spoken for it many times. He learned on it also. What memories. Rabbits were plentiful back then. My coach and I hunted a lot until he passed. He was responsible for me getting into the shooting game. He was also a wonderful mentor and friend.

12. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

1962, Christmas day. At the age of 12, got a 20ga. Belknap break open single barrel which replaced my trusty bb gun which I had for about 5 years. Dad took me hunting that afternoon and after showing me how to safely carry the gun in the field,load and unload it, cross a fence, etc., he actually let me load and fire it after we spotted a gray squirrel up in the top of a big red oak.I hit the squirrel and I was hooked, I've been addicted to the smell of gun powder smoke ever since.I don't have any kids of my own so I gave that old single barrel gun to my 12 year old nephew this past year. I went to the range with him about three weeks ago and let him shoot a few skeet targets with it from station 4. He actually hit the first five birds before he missed. maybe beginner's luck, but I think he is hooked too! My brother will probably get mad at me when it comes time to buy the boy a decent trap gun. My brother doesn't share my addiction.

13. Nugget

Nugget TS Member

Geez what a story line!

I was 4 years old and my dad bought me a 20 guage with a 22 rifle on top. My mom about had a cow! We went out by the dump a day or so after Christmas and we put a shell in the 20 guage barrel. I remember that kick setting me back on my heels and my dad just laughing saying that maybe he was a year or two early. We put the gun up and I have had many since and have just been shooting trap now for a year or so and having a great time.
    And yes now at 47 I still have my first gun and no lies here at all, I have not put a dozen shells through that gun in the 43 years I have had it. My dad is gone now but what great memnories that day gave me.

14. Ibex

Ibex TS Member

Xmas day of my 4th grade year (9-10?), brand new to me H&R Topper .410, took a shoot on a bunny at bar ditch range & missed cleanly, didn't even scare the bunny away.

The following fall my job was to go out after school to the milo field & keep the starlings off of the milo that was heading out. I experimented with & can speak to the ineffectiveness of bunch shooting. I do not claim to have been Dick Deadeye at that tender age.

Mike

15. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

In 1971 my father took me skeet shooting for the first time. I used his skeet gun, a 12ga Browning Superposed with Savage "Four-Tenner" inserts in it. I shot a 10 including a double. I thought I was cool for getting the double. He gave me that Browning 2 years later (he still has the Four-Tenners though). I have shot countless ducks, geese, pheasants, partridges, woodcock, crows, rabbits and squirrels with that gun. I even shot a few raccoons with it. The gun is now well "greyed" and has survived an application of Lin-Speed to the stock and all the other punishments a teenager can put a gun through. I still use it when I go partridge hunting with my father.

Good thread-- thanks for the reminicing. M12

16. senior smoke

modelnumber12- hunt as much as you can with your dad. my dad died 5 years ago and i would give anything to do something with him atleast one more time.
    steve

17. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

First shot at the Pacific Indians 1942 at a make shift trap grounds on the sports field in Stanwood, WA. Last shot at a backer-upper at the Pacific Indians at the Evergreen Sportmen's, near Olympia, WA last year. Snapped a few caps between.

18. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

I was about 12, Dad took me Duck hunting one cold morning in Colo.,,With Dad's SXS 12, I walked up on a gravel pit, with about 20-25 ducks setting,,,well, I blew into them, killing one, and then jumping up and down hollering "I got one", and Dad hollering "Shot again",,,I didn't. I got the "Trap Bug" some years later, when I on break in service, Dad put me in the pit to pull for some trap shooters. I tried my hand at it and though I was getting pretty good, until one day I shot and missed ALL 25 TARGETS ( a real blow for a 23 year old, who though I was pretty good),,,I quit trap for 40 years. Came back some 6-7 years ago, I think I am here for the rest of my life now.
    Norman

19. ink ball

ink ball Member

I fired a shotgun for the first time on opening day of Pheasant season in Nebraska in 1974. I got a new 20 gauge Mossberg bolt action shotgun for for my 13th birthday a few months prior. My very first shot dropped a nice rooster! I've been addicted to shooting ever since.

20. IM390

IM390 Member

1964 Waukesha Gun Club, my uncle shot for Badger Meter Co, a company teem. At the end of their league shooting, he called the target and let me pull the trigger with a Pre-64 M-12 trap with a 34 inch barrel. Without any instructions, I touched her off as soon as the bird came out of the house and watched it sail for another 40 yards. That's ok, I've made up for it many times over since then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.