1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do the geese get thicker feathers in winter?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Could just be me but I shot some this week and when I skinned them they seemed like they had thicker feathers. (Canadians)

2. copper

copper Member

I have never shot one in summer Sorry could not resist Though true

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

You know how ducks and geese always fly in a "V" formation? Ever notice that one side of the "V" is longer than the other? Ever wonder why that is?

After many hours of study and research, a friend of mine concluded that there are more birds on one side of the "V".

Ed

4. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

Yes, they do get thicker feathers in the winter. Geese molt in the summer time which means that they loose feathers and can only fly short distances. The new feathers grow back towards the end of summer and become thicker as the weather becomes colder. They also build up a layer of fat to help keep them warm.

5. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Thank you! That is how they looked to me fatter on the inside and thicker on the outside

6. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

When geese molt, they only lose flight feathers...not body feathers.
    I doubt that geese's feathers get thicker a cold weather comes on, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the inner feathers (down) become more numerous.....

7. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

You knew this was coming. Geese, ducks and women are all the same. The uglier a woman is the thicker skin. With that being said, ugly duckling, ugly goose & the next time you pick a broad up in a bar after hours, your eye sight or mind really isn't impaired. Thus thick skin.
    Thank you for you time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.