1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do the "big dogs" use add on ribs etc.?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mt, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mt

mt Member

Do the

I was wondering if many of the top shooters use add on ribs and all the other devices we mention on this web forum?

I've been reading a lot, reviewing concepts noted on the forum and reread Rollin's book...i even went to Wenig to get a custom stock...

I don't compete and so i don't have an opportunity to see what the great shooters use in competition.....but i was wondering, are most of these modifications tools for the beginner and intermediate shooter or are they also utilized by experienced and proficient shooters who have mastered good technique?

Thank you in advance

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Do the

When Daro Handy was shooting an 1100 he had a high rib built by Roger Eubanks. Kay Ohye has a rib blinder on his K80. Harlan Campbell Jr uses a Hi-Vis fiber optic front bead. Frank Little and Ray Stafford shot high rib guns. An add on rib is an inexpensive way to get a gun with a high rib.

3. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Do the

Dave Berlet won the 2000 CTC with an add-on rib he made himself (he also made the one Phil Kiner broke 400x400 with the first time). It was Delrin, attached with hidden screws.

However, this was back in the day when every brand of gun imaginable didn't already come with one...a lot of the BD's today have expensive guns that already have them.

4. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Do the

I think it is spelled Harlen. There is a little known Man from Missouri that has a t- shirt that says I Am the Big Dog.. I think he shoots a Beretta.

5. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Do the

I Cryo treat all the barrels of ALL the "Big Dog" shooters and give them a free turkey to boot. It even keeps your hands cool in this hot weather.

jim brown

6. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Do the

Jim,

Could you cryo me a two-barrel set for my gun...one hot-weather barrel, one cold?

I shoot at different altitudes, you know...

7. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Do the

buzz,

NO PROBLEM, but you only get one turkey with the deal. I have to keep overhead down you know.

Just send your barrels along with a lot of cash to me and I will get them back to you just as soon as I get a "round tuit".

jim brown

8. tandemdude

tandemdude TS Member

Do the

Jimmy Heller just put a keen sight rib on his gun a few weeks ago.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Do the

I believe all top competative shooters have made modifications to their factory guns. Very few, if any use add on ribs. An add on rib is most useful to shooters who have rather long necks. If you look at photographs of the All American Team, a common physical trait nearly all of them have is no neck. Their head sits directly on top of their shoulders. A person with a short neck has some advantages in trap shooting.

Fitting a gun to those of us who have rather long necks can present a challenge.

Pat Ireland

10. victoria K

victoria K Member

Do the

We have built two ribs for Jimmy Heller

The first rib was build and delivered to him at the Western Zone Shoot. I though he would maybe tape it on and shoot a practice with it, BUT NOOOOOO he taped the rib on his gun with black electrical tape and went out and shot the Western Zone that way. He ran the first 100
    and ended up with 198 I was afraid the rib was going to go flying off right in the middle of the shoot but it stayed on.

Three out of the eight class winners using a keensights ribs is not to bad.

EVENT 7 - WESTERN ZONE SINGLES (115 ENTRIES)

CHAMPION - STEVE SMITH - 199

R/U - JIMMY HELLER - 198 ………shot with a Keensights Rib

AAA - WALT HASTINGS - 198

AA - MIKE KEEN - 198 ……………shot with a Keensights Rib

A - TEMPLE YOUNG - 198

B - JOHN NAPOLI - 195

C - DAN OWENS - 191

D - MICHAEL GIVEN – 190 …..shot with a keensights Rib

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Do the

TTT

12. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Do the

That BIG DOG that lives in Missouri also shoots a custom made STOCK LOK made by PAt McCarthy. He also told me his gun has been back to Italy for some choke work.
    Don

13. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Do the

Sorry Don, but Leo's gun hasn't left the states yet, he is headed to Australia next spring, but nothing to do with chokes. Leo's theory on chokes is,"Any choke is OK, as long as it's FULL."

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Do the

Vicky: It had to be that ELECTORAL tape!

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Do the

Big dogs like ribs and if they come around to your campsite you better "add some on". Baby back ribs,short ribs, country style ribs, beef ribs,dry rub or wet mop-don't matter.

16. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Do the

I think they would use add on ribs if the company that made them would sponsor them, but otherwise, probably not. I think most of the big dogs win and/or make enough money to just have a real rib put on their gun.

17. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Do the

A top skeet shooter, Mike Schmidt, uses an add-on rib on his Beretta DT10.

18. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Do the

I use an add on rib on my slingshot that I use to shoot squirrels out of the tall pines here in east Texas. Gotta have the extra high rib to get enough elevetion to reach the little critter hiding on the top limb. And,----yes, ---I am a big dog, or hunt with one at least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.