1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do spouses understand how important Trap is to us?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Sep 1, 2013.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Do spouses really understand how important trapshooting really is to their spouse? Better question might be, do spouses really care about their spouses sport?

I always hear that I was not put on this Earth just to trap shoot. In all honesty, I think I was. I have always believed that household chores could wait until I get home after shooting.

I was already to go to the club this morning and the Mrs. said I need to install a new door knob, and drill some holes and screw in four hooks for her.

I said, when I get back home from the club I will do those things. She shook her head and I put down my shell bag and my gun and said ok, I'll do it before I go to the club.

If I really wanted to go before I did these simple chores I would have just gone shooting. But, I do not need the distraction when I shoot as that will lower my scores even more.

My wife asked me what do I average per round of trap? I sheepishly said about 18. She said so let's say you miss a target and shoot a 17, what happens? I said nothing.

Here's the deal, I've decided no more nice guy. I'm shooting any time, any place. I'm not going to tell the wife this (because I don't want to). I think some of you should also be the king of your castle like me.

I even asked my wife, do you know who's in charge here? She said yes I do.
    It's hard being a bad a-- but someone has to.

Do you also lay down the law when it comes to going trap shooting like I do?
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Remember to put a couple reloading machines in the bedroom. That way when you wake up in the middle of the night to take a leak, you can load a couple boxes of shells. HMB

3. Remdog1187

Remdog1187 Well-Known Member

No they don't understand. Did you really have to ask?

4. oz

oz Active Member

whiners....get a life.

5. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Ya gotta balance things. Took my wife shopping for new living room furniture yesterday - she ordered a sectional. Told her I needed to go shoot some practice today as Leagues start Wednesday. My son called this morning and we agreed to meet at Cardinal and shoot a few rounds. As I was packing up my gear my wife says " It's Labor Day weekend, I ain't staying home by myself" so she went along. My son and I BS'd, shot four rounds, my wife sat in the car, read a book, dozed a bit - told me I was shooting better and we headed home. Got back to the house, took my gun in and she said "let's go get a burger for dinner and by the way I think I'm going to cancel that furniture order, we don't really need it". It was a good day.

6. senior smoke

It's obvious to me that trapshooters rule the roost.
    Steve Balistreri

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

If I tell my wife I am going to shoot she says fine and grabs her 20 ga, and I have taught her too well sometimes she beats me not too often but sometimes

That is a bitach when it happens, as it is usually when we have somebody with us

But our trap field is in about 100 ft from our house, sure is handy

8. TheoShooter

TheoShooter Active Member

My wife shoots trap also and is totally addicted to it. Seems like I can't go to the range without her. Not a problem though, I enjoy shooting with her. She's averaging 20+ and is getting better all the time!

9. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

My beautiful bride Leslie gives me opportunityshoot every chance I get.

She simply states: I haven't a problem with you shooting, your entry fees and targets you shoot well enough to pay for, in the event that I want to buy something and either the check doesn't clear or the card is declined, you will be the one responsible for it. Your the man of the house the pants are worn every day.

Don't really like when she says it, but its the truth.

Brady

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Steve, Its all on how you tell her!!! I asked three friends of mine last year to go fishing with me like the second weekend of spring. We planned the trip for like 6 weeks ahead of time. After we were all the boat and enjoying ourselves my #l guest said he had to mow the lawn and watch the kids all next weekend. My #2 guest said that's nothing I have to mow the lawn and watch the kids for the next month. My #3 guest said he never asked his wife until this morning at 4:30 AM and said to her sex or fishing!!! She said don't forget your suntan lotion!!! Mine is just glad to get rid of me for most of the day (once a week anyway). LOL. break em all. Jeff

11. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

With out my wife, I would not have been as fortunate as I have been on the trap fields. She has been super supportive since day 1 back in 1980. As time went on she shot some herself, but spent much of her time (20 years) in the NYSATA office helping cahier shoots. Most of my friends that have been in the game as long as I have also share the same good fortune. The list of names is too long to mention, but trust me, they are there!

12. JRW

JRW Member

HMB I had a one bedroom apartment when first married in 1972 it had a 366 mounted in the BR.

13. VAMiket

VAMiket Member

When I got married two years ago I was taking a break from trap shooting but explained I would go back at some point in time and what that would entail. When I did start again, she made such a big deal out of me spending my weekends shooting trap and practice during the week I left. I'm living in an apartment by myself now, shooting when I want, coming and going as I please. Life is not that bad.

14. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

My wife understands,but then, she is a trapshooter. She doesn't shoot nearly as often as she once did. 6 or 7 hundred registered rounds a year and some practice once in awhile. But she certainly does understand my passion for the game!

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

When I would be hanging around the house ... my wife used to say "Don't you have someplace to shoot?"

Large shoots, she would come along and enjoy everything.

Now that she is gone, my Cardiologist encourages me to reload and shoot more. He says it is good cardio/vascular exercise.

16. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

My wife understands how important EVERYTHING I do is, as long as they don't involve other women.

17. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have always understood the importance of trapshooting, having been raised by a shooting dad and mom, then marrying into a shooting family. Now more than ever, I appreciate the "family" support that comes from shooters.I'm not sure that sense of family/community is as strong in other sports.

18. senior smoke

Jeff:
    LOL.
    Steve

I have been with my wife 45 years. The mrs. just said (dog years), just joking. When we first got married she would ask, can I come with you to the gun club? Around 10 years later she'd say go to the club and have fun, I have things to do at home.

After 20 years, she'd say please don't stay long, I have a list of things for you to help me with?

After 30 years, she said is it expensive to shoot? (not really, honey, good bye).

After 40 years, she's say where does all our money go? Where's the check book, I want to look and see where all our money is going? Please stop buying guns, how many guns does one man need? Please go to the gun club I need a break.

After 45 years, please don't go to the gun club before you do all these chores? Please don't purchase any more guns, barrels, stocks, beads, gun powder, hulls, shot, reloaders, as you have a basement full of all this stuff.

On a side note, just to tell you how generous a husband I am. When I first started shooting in 1970, I purchased a BT99. My wife wanted to also shoot, so I took her to the local Sears and purchased a $29.00 single shot with a 15 inch straight stock.

My wife said that is sure an ugly gun, but I said all women would love to own a gun like this. I took a hand saw and cut two inches off the stock and place a rubber slip pad over it. She shot one round of trap, hit 1 target and said she was obviously not cut out for this game as she never shot again. If I had it to do over again I would have sprung for a J.C. Higgins.

Please, before I get PM's saying what a terrible cheap husband I am, I"M ONLY JOKING!!! Truth is, that is the first gun I purchased for her. Wish I would have purchased a semi auto for her at the time.

Maybe she'd be going out to the club with me today. For the men and women who read this thread please know that if your spouse joins you at the club that's fantastic, as I think your lucky.
    Steve

19. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

After taking a 4 year break from shooting and other things I loved, my lovely Bride encouraged me to take my son shooting while he was in town visiting a few weeks ago. Well needless to say, that has cost me a gun, shipped it to the Son who has found a new hobby (trap shooting). Now Ive got the bug again, and seems my daughter now wants to get into it (12 yrs Old). New gun purchase in my future... LOL

Gotta love my wife!!! :)

20. mich746

mich746 Member

You have to keep things in balance.

Last week while at the range the wife called and said the house was on fire, so I only had time for 50 more caps.