1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do slower loads = longer shot strings

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by minnship8, Sep 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

I'm a new shooter using a superposed F/IM for doubles. I'm not going to invest in either choke tubes or new barrels for my Berreta 686 top single until I am a more experienced shooter.

With my full choke second shot, do you think it is to my advantage to use a longer shot string on a 1 1/8 oz. load, or is that counter productive to a good pattern?

Can I achieve a longer shot string with a slower velocity, and if not, how is that achieved?

Thanks,
    Chip

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

The only way I know of to achieve a longer shot string would be to mix shot sizes within the same load, you'd have to have a pretty radical difference for it to make much difference. With the speed of the shot compared to the speed of the bird shot string length is a mute point.

3. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Oh good grief!

4. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

If you are shooting crossing targets, Ballistic Products sells a wad just for that. Piston Skeet 12GA, part# 072PISK, 7/8 to 1-1/8. Hope this helps................GOOD LUCK

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

You have a great dbls gun. Shoot 7/8 or 1 oz 8 1/2's for first shot and 2 3/4 or 3 dram anything for the second.

Shot string worries will only give you worries you won't need.

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The more open the choke, the longer the shot string. shot strings don't matter.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Slow Pulls cause slowers shots and longer shot strings also, not to mention the wind if its coming from the right direction ... Glad to help ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

See the bird, shoot the bird. Most everything else is just forum chatter. Mark

9. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Mark,
    I understand what you are saying, but I have to disagree.

Coming from a background in professional fishing, the reason that the saying exists, 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish, is not as simple as better fisherman catch more fish. When you get to the higher levels, what separates the men from the boys, is that 10% of the fisherman take care of 100% of the details.

Most good to great fisherman never reach the highest echelons, not because of ability, but because there are minute holes in their knowledge and lack of follow through in their thoroughness in preparation.

I am really enjoying this sport and am just trying to be as thorough in my prep and knowledge base as I can. It's the only way I know to be competitive and I can't stand living with the doubt that I left something undone for lack of work, effort or willingness to question and learn.

I do however, greatly appreciate comments like yours that remind me to focus on the central issue and not get too caught up in frivolity.

Regards,
    Chip

10. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I think smaller bores produce longer shot strings. I am planning to have my bore reduced to produce a maximum string. :)

11. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Yes, it all depends on whether you want to make it an obsession, or have fun. I try not to make it seem like work, but then I'm retired, and don't want to get another job trapshooting. You need to get a combo gun built exclusively for trap shooting with an adjustable rib, adjustable comb, adjustable butt pad, and have the gun professionally fitted to you. Don't spend less than $10,000. Get shooting glasses in different colors, blinders, a shooting vest, and a toe pad. You will need premium quality shells in different configurations. Get some lessons from a top quality trap shooter.(a big dog)Then go shoot thousands of practice shells, then start shooting registered targets, and you might be competitive, but even then you won't win enough money to pay your way. The way to make a small fortune trapshooting, is to start with a large fortune. Sound kind of like fishing? Mark

12. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

It is great to apply science to the sport of trapshooting however this topic has been discussed before and the punch line is that shot string is a trivia item and not worth worrying about.

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Mark425 , I think it is the opposite for the same reason full choke has shorter string than modified.
    The more spread out the shot is the more it falls behind.

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Chip,

If you want to get the most from that second shot in doubles, POI of the second barrel is far more important than shot string. The first shot in doubles is a fast rising target, the second target is flat or dropping for most shooters. Does your O/U barrels have the correct POI for those two different types of target? HMB

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Chip, I understand exactly what your saying when you compare fishing to shooting as I've been heavy into both myself. The biggest difference in fishing is that a very good fisherman is "always" looking ahead (thinking) what should I do next, where should I be at this time of day, type of bait I should use at this time of day, what type of presentation??? Always tring different things all day long and like you said details are importand as are having a many rods rigged and ready for anything. Most fisherman don't do this. In shooting after you learn and practice the shots enough to get your sight picture dialed in. Next is the hard part, you really need to work hard on the mental part of the game. To rise to the top you really, really, really have to "Hate To Lose". I mean to to point of Obsession type hating to lose where it bothers you all night. Remembering the small (basic) things on every shot, "every time" until you do it in your sleep. It just takes time and many rounds of shooting. I was told when I started shooting when I asked what it takes to get good!!!! I was told buy the most expensive O/U shotgun you can afford and shoot a train car full of Ammo. When your done shooting the train car full of ammo (if your gun holds together) you'll be a good shooter. There is alot of truth in that statement. Alot of truth. Your gun and chokes are fine, any load you pick is fine. Just pick a load and stay with it. It will also help if you can stop thinking about "everything" and just focus on target, only the target. Oh Yeh, almost forgot to tell you to take a class by a pro to learn how to hold your shotgun and move it to the target properly and to get your gun fitted properly as well. If you don't have good form and gun fit from the begining, all the rest will not matter. Good Luck and break-em all Jeff

16. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Slower velocities or lower mass typically produce tighter patterns i.e. a denser shot cloud. You can manipulate the pattern by reloading with spreader wads or higher velocity loads. If you don't reload you may buy spreader loads, which normally have no shot cup only an over powder wad, these will produce a larger pattern from a tighter choke.

Surfer

17. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

To answer your question, yes slower loads produce longer strings but the offset is faster birds equal more misses. So they equal out in the end.Sick humor. Bulge.

18. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

How does a slower load cause the shot string to be longer?

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

LOL, isn't it amazing how we take something so simple and make it hard? My hillbilly uncle used to shoot 100x100 with an M12 field gun and he couldn't even spell shot string.

-Gary

20. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Ever since I started shooting I've heard about shot strings, some telling me they can be seven or ten feet in length. My thought about this is, if the shot string is strung out any amount, the pattern would be so thin the target would fly through without being touched.

The only video and stop action pictures of shot mass I have seen is in Phil Kiner's video. These pictures clearly shows the shot mass as being a cloud, not a string.

I have always thought the shot mass as being a cluster that widens as it moves further down range and this is the reason for chokes to regulate this mass.

In my mind all chokes are full chokes. If we believe a thirty inch pattern is the optimum pattern density to break targets, then a cylinder bore will throw a thirty inch pattern at close range. As the target increases distance the choke needs to be tightened to maintain the optimum thirty inch pattern (shot cloud).

Slowing a load creates a denser shot cloud tightening the pattern.

Someone please show me picture of a shot string, I think it's a myth.

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.