1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do Shooting Gloves Always Help?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Today I used shooting gloves for the first time with my old Baker Elite and its 15.75 inch LOP and 34 barrel. I used very thin and soft golf gloves.

Before today the gun seemed too long for me in the stock and the barrel and too heavy

Today with the gloves it seemed just right.

Do gloves always help, or can gloves sometimes make a gun that feels right without gloves seem too short or too light with gloves?

Thanks

Lou

2. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Thank you Cowboy1.

My question was serious.

If gloves can make a gun that does not feel right feel real good,

can gloves make a gun that already feels good not feel good anymore.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Lou, gloves will give a gun a different feel. At times, especially when we are struggling, a little change will help. Gloves can also provide a better grip on the gun for some. I think a very firm grip, with both hands, helps me. I do not wear gloves but I do wrap the pistol grip of my stock with tennis racket tape. Gloves would also provide a little protection for you old Baker and I like Baker shotguns. Not many Bakers around and most shooters do not even know what they are. Bakers deserve a little extra protection.

Pat Ireland

4. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Bull riders use a glove. Thats alot of weight they're holding onto. Seems it must help.

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Your question is slanted. It is an individual thing. Try it and if it works for you then use it. Personally I wear a golf glove on left hand which grips forearm.

Don

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I wear Mechanix brand gloves "framers" model. Also have some golf gloves that are designed for rain use, then I have some winter golf floves that fit well and get mr through a round just fine in the cold days.

7. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

I am going to try the Mechanix Gloves, Framer model. I have been spending $45+ for Grip Swell and they wear out fast because my hands really sweat a lot. These are sure priced right and look just fine. Thanks for the tip.

Walter

8. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

I wear Browning (thin) shooting gloves and they don't seem to change anything for me. The reason I shoot in gloves is because the sweat from my hands wears the blueing and/or finish off of the receiver quickly.

Also if shooting a new gun many times the new checkering will really be abrasive to your hand. Wearing gloves eliminates this while giving a solid grip.

Michael Stephenson
    AA-26.5-AA

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I use gloves all-year, but they can't change length of pull or the weight of a gun... however if they make your preception that the gun you're shooting is now more comfortable to shoot, then keep using them... however that "new" feeling may wear off as you continue to wear them...

I wear gloves for many of the earlier reasons stated above - sweat, improved grip, firearm protection, even UV protection (hands can get sunburned and skin cancer with excessive exposure).

Wear them until they either confirm your hopes or until they no longer offer a perceived benefit...

regards,

Jay

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I wear batting gloves only because I like the bluing to stay on the gun ... I have a lot of acid in my system and can rub the blue off of a gun in short order if I do not wear them ... I have shot with gloves for a long time so now putting them on is part of my routine when getting ready to shoot ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. maka

maka Member

I read in a book by John Linn & Steve Blumenthal that gloves can help some who flinch. Supposedly you can grip the trigger better and shoot faster once you aqiure the bird barell site.

12. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

I think Big Don has the right idea. Like a lot of shooting stuff, it's an individual decision based on what works for you. And as you progress, things change just to keep it from being simple. I wear golf gloves year round for the purchase provided, and also to keep my salty hands off the gun. I keep them on until the gun is wiped down and put away. IMHO

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

maka, did those guys happen to address why the gun sometimes goes off a tad premature when using handshoes? If we could come up with a fix for that malady with some elixir fix, we could sell tons of that stuff!!! :)

Dear Lit, my O/U weighs 12 pounds, do you think my gun would feel lighter if I switched to summer lightweight gloves? My old ones seem to have increased in weight dramatically too, maybe due to all the grime they collected?

Hap

14. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Lou.....The next time your at a big shoot, look and see who wears shooting gloves.You won't find very many of the top shooters wearing them.

Frank Little once told me that one day I would go to the line, and my glove would be missing, and at that point I won't be able to shoot well because I don't have my glove on.

Do you want to look cool and keep your gun looking good too, well than by all means wear a glove...

15. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I thought shooting gloves always helped...and the more gloves, the more they should help. So, I bought six pairs. Problem is, when I put them all on, my shooting goes down the toilet.

16. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Cabela's has a great pair of Kangaroo gloves with a textured palm and elastic over the knuckles so they fit snug. My current pair are three years old and just starting to wear so I may have to replace them later this year. I wear one on my left hand (fore arm) so I can get a good grip on the gun without my hand slipping and on colder or wet days on my gun hand because I use a release trigger. They give you a better grip and you just seem to have better gun control and don't even think about them after while.

Too bad Kalifornia makes anything made of Kangaroo illegal because they are endangered species, even the ones that are raised for food and leather.

Try them, you'll like them.

Brownk80

17. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

Just a thought, OJ wore gloves and it worked for him, but than Tiger wore something I am sure, but not a glove. What a pair, Shame on them. And cheered
    by some. Think of it, Cheered, what a disgrace. Gloves do cover up the pair.

Just thinking Trap,

Gunnerx

18. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

Just a thought, OJ wore gloves and it worked for him, but than Tiger wore something I am sure, but not a glove. What a pair, Shame on them. And cheered
    by some. Think of it, Cheered, what a disgrace. Gloves do cover up the pair.

Just thinking Trap,

Gunnerx

19. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I'd really like to see a picture of an Baker single barrel trap with a 15 3/4" LOP. Man, that has got to be one dandy of a stock!

ss

20. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.