1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do serious handicap shooters use an O/U?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dynapro, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

I was wondering in the recent history of Handicap shooting, do you know of anyone that actually uses a 32" over under, or even a 30" for that matter.

I am interested in long yardage primarially, because from the 21 on in it wouldn't really matter.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I don't know if it counts but I use a 32" Browning Broadway for games from the 30+ yardline.

Eric

3. BMC

BMC Member

XT 32" OU for everything. 16 yard, 27 yard HC, doubles and pot shoots. One choke=FULL, in the top barrel. Lower barrel is only used for the first shot in doubles. Works great for every trap-related game.

4. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

That is very interesting.

I also use a 32" over under, but we that do are in a great minority- not that we mind,... I don't, but the conversations make me wonder if a sharp pointing single is the way to go.

Realistically. 99% of the long yardage shooters use a single barrel, and overwhelmingly, a 34" barrel.

Are we missing something technically? (besides just our share of the targets).

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'd venture we have a number of serious handicap shooters/winners using O/Us in the N.W.....Bob dodd

6. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

I'd like to add Richard Shrode (Oregon), Ron Scondo (Canada) and of course Daro Handy(Oregon) to the list of O/U all-event, hard-to-beat shooters.

Larry

7. colobiggun

colobiggun Active Member

Mike Herman from Wyoming shoots the same O/U gun that he uses to compete in International competitions (MX-8, 29 3/4") in ATA, where he averaged 96% from the 27 yard line last year. He ranks as one of the best shooters in the world, no matter what targets you shoot.

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I seem to remember Pete McCall years ago when he was in top form using a Browniing Citori Plus for everything

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

While Iam not any great handicap practioneer of unbelievable reputation, I've found to be more at home with an O/U than with singles through the years and more effective for the long_haul. I still have singles but continue to use an O/U. I know that Iam not missing any facts...

10. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

Yes, the O/U long yardage handicap shooters are out there, few though they may be. I find myself wanting or wondering about a 34' over under, but what else good would it be? It was a fad in Sporting Clays for a couple of years. George Digweed started it, and everybody followed him, then he quit and now you can't give a 34" over under away.

I like what Mike said about "in the hands of a master." Over unders are also very cool looking shotguns. A SBT looks kind of needle-nosed.

11. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

It aint the gun but it is the shooter so you tell me if you can shoot the gun you currently have.

If you say no than your problem is not the gun but the problem would be ... well you know.

12. Lyle

Lyle Member

Most of the serious handicap shooters DO shoot over and unders. They shoot them at the doubles.

Couldn't resist
    Lyle

13. dzeh

dzeh Member

dynapro,
    I'll take all the 34" o/u's that anyone wants to "give away"! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.