1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DO SATELITE GRANDS HURT THE AVERAGE GUN CLUB?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i was at a gun club today and a fellow shooter said" do you think the ATA realizes how much they have hurt the average gun club since they started these satelite grand shoots? one guy said, how do these statelite grand shoots hurt the area gun clubs? he said numerous shooters stoped shooting ata events at the area clubs so they can save up their money to go to these large satelite grand shoots, and this is one more reason why ata shoots are down in attendance at these clubs. another guy said he agreed, that he personally doesn't shoot as much in the area , so he can attend these satelite shoots. what do you think? any validity to their statements?
    steve balistreri

2. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

3. acre44

acre44 Member

4. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

It's my experience that the guys who go to the Satelite Grands also shoot the local shoots. I don't think they hurt the local shoots.

Scott

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Or is it the other way around?

Neil

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Does any larger state, regional or national shoot hurt the smaller shoots? I would think that the larger shoots provide a stimulus for shooters to get in more targets at a smaller shoot in preparation for the larger shoot.

Pat Ireland

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. I think Pat's reference to "major" shoots may be correct, but I believe in our area the Satelite Grand siphon's off participation at the regular shoots. We are blessed in the Northeast with a lot of clubs within easy driving distance for shooting registered targets, but too few shooters to patronize them. Bob H.

8. A23B

A23B TS Member

If larger shoots provide a stimulus for shooters to get in more targets at a smaller shoot in preparation for the larger shoot, why can we not have the G

9. A23B

A23B TS Member

If larger shoots provide a stimulus for shooters to get in more targets at a smaller shoot in preparation for the larger shoot, why can we not have the Great Lakes Grand on 4 July, when it is warm?

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

The only reason I shoot small clubs at all is to prepare for the big shoots.

11. AAA 27 AAA

AAA 27 AAA TS Member

I would think there would be some factual data to support the opinions expressed if someone here had access and resources to research participation before and after Satellite Grands were conducted.

Neil Winston; Can this data be readily accessed? Does the ATA compare such data? Is the ATA concerned?

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

ed nast- The Great Lakes Grand on July 4 was in direct competition with several other large shoots. A few delegates became very concerned with Satellite Grands usurping state and zone shoots. They did their homework, wrote several letters, and convinced that the LG, or any other satellite Grand would not directly compete with other state shoots.

Pat Ireland

13. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

One of the closer local clubs to me, Twin Falls, ID, has its biggest shoot of the year in April. It runs Friday through Sunday with 800 targets total. It falls at the same time as the final weekend of the SW Grand in San Antonio. The past four or five years I've chosen to fly to the SWG rather than driving to Twin Falls, and shoot 1300 targets or so rather than 800. Does Twin Falls miss me? I doubt they know I'm not there - they get a good crowd anyway. Do others make my choice? Probably not many, although this spring we had a whole squad from my area in San Antonio, who in the past had gone to Twin Falls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.