1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do release triggers help if you dont flinch?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

A guy told me he shot a release and it improved his scores, he never had a flinch but he though it made him concentrate on the bird better..?? I have never tried one but have given it a thought..thanks!

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Works for me...

3. TERRYB

TERRYB Member

BigM-perazzi,

I don't know if that was intentional or not but that was funny.....Terry

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It wasn't intentional and proves it hasn't helped him. LOL

Matt

5. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

What seems more natural to you. Tensing muscles to pull the trigger or relaxing muscles to release. Like a baseball, football, arrow, bowling, etc.

6. roscoeparker

roscoeparker Member

I have been shooting a release for 22 years, if you don't have a flinch don't change, a release trigger isn't going to help your scores.

7. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hi,

I tried someone elses Release a few times and than decided I had to have one.

I was experienceing a sever flinch.

I first pick up an inexpensive 1100 Release here on this site. I was impressed so than I got one put in my Special Trap. Went with a double, there is no way I can keep track of a single in an o/u.

After my experience with a Release I believe I would use one even if I did not need to use one. The problem is now a good Rlease adds a lot to the cost of a gun and I not sure if it increases their relative value or not. Release triggers are popular but most people still want a crip pull trigger.

Take care,

Jim

8. missed some

missed some TS Member

sure he didn't have a flinch(wink) now he can concentrate on the bird more because he doesn't have to concentrate on trying to pull the trigger

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Yes, it can definitely help some people.

Shooting with a big red bow on your wiener can help too... IF YOU BELIEVE IT DOES.

That's called the "Red Bow Effect." It works, just like a placebo does for many patients in medicine. It just doesn't work for the reason the patient thinks it does.

-Gary

10. shadow

shadow Active Member

Never tried that big red bow, but if it will help as much as a release then even Leo is in trouble now.

11. atadams77

atadams77 Member

if you flinch that means recoil is causing you pain. if recoil is causing pain its probably due to the fact that your gun doesn't fit correctly. Or perhaps improper stance with respect to your gun fit.

A proper fitting gun will not yield recoil that causes pain. Hence no need for release triggers. i would rather spend the money on custom stock fitting and improve all around results. Just my opinnion.

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I think that one "need" for a release is having a soft touch on the world; that is, somebody who types a lot, does precise work, etc. It is all in the "adaptation level as a frame of reference"....that happened to me when I started to use a computer ten years ago and did lots of varminting with very light rifle triggers for a few years......slowly, more and more, I'd have a flinch with a pull trigger if it was heavy. Best of world for me would be about a 1 lb. pull trigger which is impossible.

So I went to a release; no more flinches unless my eyes lose the bird...and my scores became erratic since I am still learning the release and am often behind the bird unless it is a very good day. I figure I need to shoot the release more often to speed up this so far one year learning curve.

I do think the release is really the way to go; like letting out the clutch on a motorcycle...very natural, wish I'd started with a release since a one pound pull trigger on a shotgun is impractical.

13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I agree with maltzahn, it is easier to release than pull. A friend of mine purchased a trap gun that came with a release trigger. He will never go back to a pull trigger. His scores than seemed to sky rocket. I developed a flinch 1 year ago and I did well with the release. I found out my flinch was due to my pistol grip was cut to far back and my finger was just barely touching the trigger. When I would shoot my finger would slide to the side of the trigger without me relizing it and I got a flinch. I, as my finger is close enough to the trigger now.
    Steve Balistreri

14. Rich Bullard Jr.

Rich Bullard Jr. Active Member

If you don't have a flinch do not switch. Release triggers can be tempermental and expensive. This is coming from a guy who shoots double release and did not have a whole lot of choices.

15. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

I ABSOLUTELY will not bird hunt with someone who uses a release trigger.

16. grntitan

comp--Who said anything about hunting with a release. I think you are trying to cause an arguement where one does not exist.

Matt

17. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

comp 1,

Yeah, lighten up.

PS - I bird hunt with a release trigger and ABSOLUTELY will not hunt with you.

Jon Reitz

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

Leo shoots a pull. If there was any advantage to a release he would use it.

atadams77,
    You are not 100% incorrect. Many release trigger users that flinch do not do so from recoil. Gun fit will cure many problems but not a flinch that is not recoil related.

Don Verna

19. grntitan

Don--Leo could use a release on a BB gun and still kick our asses.

Matt

20. JES

JES Member

The first time I shot a release it was more natural than a pull.
    Back east a friend had guns for sale trying them out he brought out one that was a release, my husband said don't even try it I shot a 23 at singles it felt so natural. We bought the gun. I continued to shoot a pull when the flinch started I picked up the release and have never looked back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting a release trigger if you dont need it

will a release trigger help my trap scores