1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do powders lose weight with age?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by claybrdr, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I was just using up a small quantity of Longshot in some 28 ga loads and decided I'd better weigh the drops even though my records showed the 13A MEC bushing dropped 14.2 grains. This time the drops were closer to 13.6 gr and I wondered if it was due to this residue of Longshot being probably 8 years or so old and in my garage which is hot in the Summer.

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If you leave the powder open to high humidity or to low humidity, you will get a corresponding increase or decrease in weight. There is also a corresponding increase or decrease in the size of the flake.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The MEC bushing list is approximate and there is a lot of factors that can have your bushing throwing more or less than the factory guess. How much vigor you use to operate the loader, for example, can change your throw with any bushing. The guesstimate is a good way to start being close to what you are "shooting for" but there is nothing to replace a good scale once you are set up. Get a scale and hide the poop sheet from MEC with the rest of the factory data......breakemall

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Guess you didn't pick up on the fact that the bushing was checked BY SCALES on both occasions. I'm not stupid enough not to know that you don't take whatever MEC says in their charts as gospel.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Too bad us trapshooters tend to do just the opposite

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I think SHOT410s answer is the correct one.

7. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I know I don't.
    1OT

8. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

Logic would say that powder is packaged at very low moisture content. If powder "gets lighter" with age, it wouldn't be because it was drying out, right? Maybe the OP was using powder with high moisture years in the past and it has subsequently dried due to storage enviroment.

K

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.