1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do people regularly shoot Model 21's

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Do people regularly shoot Model 21

I am considering trading or selling my Baker Elite for a trap gun I can use on a regular basis.

I like the look of the Winchester Model 21 trap and unlike my Baker (with its 34" Howitzer of a barrel) the Model 21 I shouldered in a store felt real good

My question is this: Do people serious about trap shooting use model 21's or is their relatively high price due to their rarity and good looks instead of their function?

Is the market paying $5000 and up for model 21's because shooters want to shoot a side by side for trap or is the value really a function of history, nostaglia, beauty and condition?

Lou

2. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Lou:
    I have a trap model 21.
    The value in it is that it shoots and points beautifully (as long as it fits), and has that great legacy and history.
    Take care of it, and I think the value will only increase over the long run.
    The trick in shooting it is to keep your eye on the bird, not the twin barrels, and you will smoke them.
    Regards,
    Dave

3. jlb

jlb Member

I have shot a 21 at both ATA singles and doubles. I shot some very good doubles scores (winning on occasion) with a 21 Trap grade gun. I also have a very nice CSM gun and if I shoot it on a regular basis I can and do shoot AA scores (but not winning scores). If I do not shoot the gun all of the time my scores fall dramatically. I find a Perazzi much more forgiving and easier to shoot, but not nearly as much fun.

jlb

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

side x sides whether they are 21's or another model are a rarity in the hands of serious competitors at a major trap shoot. I've only seen 1 in use in almost 20 years of attending the Grand. Use to shoot one all the time for duck hunting until steel shot became mandatory. Still use one w/ Bismuth on occasion but somehow it just isn't the same.

5. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Very informative!
    Thank you

Looks like I will cool my jets and wait till I find a single barrel or O/U with the right combination of fit and history

Maybe a nice model 12 or a superposed

Are there any good classic American O/U's

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

If you want to shoot a 21, you will experience 2 things. Recoil and impact problems. The 21's are barrel light, and shoot flat. If you opt to buy a 21 , try to find one w/ 32" barrels. More barrel weight and a longer sighting plane will both help. They are a hoot to shoot. Some time I'll post pics of my 32" with Tom Smith wood and Bill Mains engraving. I use mine w/ 1 oz loads for sporting clays.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Have shot trap for over 45 years and have never seen a Mod.21 on the line.

8. Seitz231

Seitz231 Member

Homer Clark Jr. from Alton, Illinois shot a 21 into the HOF.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Setterman- I agree with you about the recoil problems. After custom stocking and engraving my M-21, I was able to shoot 5 pair of doubles before the pain became too great.

Pat Ireland

10. jrton80

jrton80 Member

If I am not mistaken, John Sternberger used to shoot doubles with a model 21. I asked for his help in the mid 80's on doubles and he showed up with a 21. He hadn't shot any targets for many years and I introduced him to some light loads to get away from the recoil. He traditionally shot 3 dram 7 1/2 for everything when he was an active shooter. Shoulder problems sidlined him (surprise). I believe he began shooting a few targets for a while for enjoyment with the light loads. By the way, after not shooting for many years (15 or so), he missed the first pair and then broke the next 48 straight.

11. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Not uncommon on the flyer rings

12. Setterman

Very true Euro. I've seen 21's with custom stocks and RAD systems at box shoots.
    3 1/4 dram 1 1/4 oz out of a 21 spells O-U-C-H, but they swing so good.

13. Setterman

Pat, When and where?

14. Seitz231

Seitz231 Member

Pat,

How does a person get an invitation to this shoot ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.