1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do over shot cards impact pattern for trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hap MecTweaks, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Shoot a few with and a few without? I doubt you could measure much differences though.

Hap

2. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I have been using a piece of material approximately 1/2 inch square for years. I see no effect on the pattern. I wouldn't use anything that might disintegrate and disturb other shooters. I usually use the plastic from a water/milk jug. You will enjoy great looking crimps and the "wads" are free! Ron

3. TALLEND

TALLEND Member

Sir
    Very simple-----put the card in the cup(before the shot) to fill the space needed for a good crimp-------no worry about a blown pattern from an overshot card.....

I loaded hundreds of rounds this way for the junior team at our club..

Tom

4. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

BP sells plastic frangible overshot cards. They disrupt the pattern less than cardboard cards. However, for 16yd targets I would not worry about it.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

NO.

Wayne

6. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Drop a 20 ga felt wad before you dump shot. Get some 1/2" & cut them in half.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

20 ga. cards under the shot work fine.

We have a couple guys using gasket punches to make them from styrofoam meat trays.

HM

8. rocko

rocko Member

Lima bean over the top. Have patterned these and I feel the bean on the top is better than bean or 20ga card on bottom. Your mileage may vary.

9. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

When I make 3/4 oz loads, using 7/8 oz wads, I drop a Cheerio in on top of the shot. A Cheerio's volume equals 1/8 oz of shot, so it crimps up beautifully, just like I was using the larger amount of shot. I can hear it crunch a bit when I crimp it, and I think it turns into more of a buffer than an obstruction, when it is fired. I don't notice any degradation in my patterns. I tried putting the Cheerio in first, before the shot, but when I lowered the shot tube to drop shot, the Cheerio stuck in the tube and plugged it up. I make 3/4 oz 12 gauge loads for super light recoil, and use them for beginners and giggles. My 3/4 oz 20 gauge loads work great for kids. I shoot 7/8 oz at 1250 fps from my 12 gauge for skeet, 5 Stand, and 16 yard trap. Anything I miss isn't the shell's fault. I am a big fan of light loads. Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

frangible overshot cards

over shot cards impact pattern