1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DO OTHER SPORTS HAVE SANDBAGGERS????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

hello:
    when money is involved in a sport, it seems to bring out sandbaggers. are there sandbaggers in any other sports, or is just trapshooting?
    steve balistreri

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

In all sports and not just the clay target shooting sports.

Just the way it is...

3. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Most sport whether there is money involved or not have people who will do whatever they deem necessary to win. Including breaking the rules, of that their sport, of sportsmanship. Sad but true. The sport of trapshooting has a few, but far less than talked about. - Jim

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

When I was younger, I played a lot of pool. Every pool hall, or bar, I ever went in to had some players always waiting in the wings, playing a sloppy game, or showing just enough skill where you thought you could take them. They always wanted to play 9 ball for a buck, or two dollars on the "five, and five dollars on the "nine". Dead giveaway! We didn't call them sandbaggers, we called them hustlers. If it involves money, they are always there...Just my experience....Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Sandbagging is a serious problem in tournament chess.

Neil

6. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Me and another fellow used to pair up and play in a few 2 man golf tournaments. Usually thes were 2 day deals 4 or 5 flights and flighted by the first days score. Merchandise from the proshop usually was the prize. It was played in a scramble type format so we played the best ball. We were a good pair because at the time I could just kill the ball and was good with fairway woods and irons. My buddy was a deady short iron player and his short game around the greens was the best around, we both could make putts.

Usually we played to the top of first Flight or bottom of championship flight and would take an occasional 3rd or 4th place, maybe break even if a meal was thrown in for the event.

A distant course where an LPGA event was held annually, had a 2 man challenge every year and we decided to get in after circumstances had prevented us from playing it for about 5 years. Big prizes, $200 merchandise certificates for each player for tops in flight. Day one we were a bit nervous and we were paired with two young guys who had played college golf for the U of I, we were intimidated, nervous, and basically played the front 9 like crap. These guys were great guys and all but we never got comfortable, could not do anything right until the back nine and ended up with a 76, the worst we had ever played anywhere since we grouped up. Middle of third flight.
    Next day we were regrouped by flight and played with two older duffers, nice guys. I am sure they told everyone we were a couple of sandbagging s.o.b's. Because we went out and shot a 64, and even though we got a penalty bump to the next flight we still took first in 2nd flight by 3 strokes.

Needless to say we did not stay for the awards ceremony, we got the hell out of there amid a lot of grumbling, they mailed us our prizes.

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Money corrupts trapshooting. Since there are so very few who can leave the shoot with a profit, we might consider limiting money prizes to side bets between individuals and make the game appeal to those who are looking for status rather than monetary rewards. The game might appeal to a whole different group.

Lewis class is a crapshoot to all but the guy who knows he can win the event.

8. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

There are sandbaggers galore in golf. It even invades the charitable events. We used to get in scrambles that required A-B-C-D players. That was supposed to even things out. However, the "D" players usually ended up playing like strong "B's". Suddenly 65 would get a "Thanks very much for participating".

We eventually starting playing in the Oldsmobile scrambles. No stair-step players. Bring all your "A's", and go for it. Better money, and sandbagging was pretty much impossible.

Bowling is the same way. I used to bowl in the Hoinke Classic in Cincinnati every year. The usual winner was a guy who bowled in leagues just enough to get a 170 average. Comes to the Hoinke and shoots 1100 for five games, with the handicap of a 170 bowler. Sure took the enjoyment out of the tournament.

Of course, it's getting harder to sandbag at a lot of sports, since the web came along, and your reputation gets to the shoot two days before you do.

Best,
    Dennis

9. canada

canada Member

The only event that can even be justified sandbagging in is handicap. Sandbagging in singles to win a lower class doesn't happen, and as much as some people are "amazed" that a D class shooter could ever shoot a 98 or higher, they can. It happens, everyone has their day, and because someone is in a lower class doesn't mean they are doomed to stay there for life.

As far as handicap, look at the payouts at this years grand. Look who won the money. The good shooters. The shooters that always shoot good scores, and always make money. Thats the way it is. I dont think any of the great shooters are too concerned about a sandbagger stealing their money, because they wont.

Without trying to sound too critical, the people who complain about sandbaggers and exaggerate the number of sandbaggers are generally poorer shooters, that wont win money anyways, or the people who expect to win a lower class without shooting a winning score.

So many people are concerned with sandbaggers, and in reality there are so few people that do it. I'm not sure who they are planning to beat, or if they are planning to "win big", because winning a couple hundred bucks here and there isn't going to cover the costs anyways. Its pathetic really that anyone would do it.

10. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Sandbagging is the reason I quit playing any competitive golf, 18 hdcps just don't shoot a 75........and then back it up with a 74 the next day..
    I played competitive pool for 30 years. Finally refused to play any leagues or tournaments that are handicapped. Now I just play for fun with a couple of friends. Never did get to the level in chess that brought out the sandbaggers.
    As far as trap goes, I just don't play any options, very simple.
    Nubs Wagner.

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Ditto what Jim said! And what about the sport of Fly Fishing?

12. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Golfers invented the term.

Berettaman7

13. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

billiards, darts, bowling, pinball, shooting hoops, video games.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Next Spring, shoot the Southern Grand at Silver Dollar and after the shoot go down the road to the horse races at Tampa Downs. At one of these sporting events you can see some serious, well planned sandbagging that involves a lot of money. At the other, sandbagging will be rather rare.

Pat Ireland

15. ZeroHero

ZeroHero TS Member

The only sand I have ever seen at a horse race was strapped to the horse I bet on! LOL

Duke

16. BAP

BAP TS Member

If you want to see sand bagging at it's best go to a sporting clays tournament. One of the few places that sandbagging is encouraged and talked about openly. I shoot it on occasion but to here the bragging from c and d class shooters that shot in the low 90's and refuse to shoot anything but a shoot that uses lewis class so they don't get bumped is sickening.

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

But, Sporting Clays created the problem by doing a punch system that doesn't allow low class shooters to advance as quickly as the high class shooters. You see c d e shooters shooting decent scores, but, not enough shooting in their class to be moved up... eventually that c class guy takes his 90's avg to a big tournament and cleans up....

18. SouthwestShooter

SouthwestShooter TS Member

EVERY SPORT HAS SANDBAGGERS FROM CHECKERS TO BASKETBALL

19. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

shotguning should be for fun. all money should be removed so that the hustlers could go elsewhere.

20. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

fearlessfain,

Are you dreaming? Sandbaggers are not just after the money. How much money is there in the D class singles, but I hear D shooters complain about baggers in that class, all for a little trophy. Geezzz. Of course you have to wonder about the D shooting complainers, had the other guy not won they would have been considered the biggest sandbagger. Personally anybody shooting in the D, C or B class unless they are brand new, real old or physically inhibited should be considered potential sandbaggers. I’ve always said if you don’t want to lose to a sandbagger shoot better and get your butt in the top class. They got no sandbagger there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.