1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do not shoot doves off of the power line!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tumbleweed, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

I got up this morning and found that our Insight cable service was not working. Found out that some hunters shot a few doves that were sitting on an Insight fiber optic line that serves several counties in this area. Insight had 6 bucket trucks on the job and it took most of the day to splice a bundle of fibers about the size of a hair.

They caught the hunters at the sight and Insight says they did the damage and they are responsible for the repairs. The hunters will be getting a very large bill.

2. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

And a very large bill is exactly what they deserve! Those that don't obey game laws to the "T" are the sportsman's worst enemy.

milt

3. dodge ram

dodge ram Member

bunch of dumb asses

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I wait till I get a bunch of em gathered up close together on the tank dam.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

I think these "hunters" are going to learn that lesson the hard way.

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

"Doves must be in flight to be legal game." In flight or just moving? Still trying to figure out how much to lead a walking dove.

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

trapshootin hippie, thats easy!!! If at 90 degree angle to dove shoot 4x the lenth of beak infront of dove. If at 45 degree angle only 2x the lenth of beak and if walking right at you, shoot right at the beak. LOL. Break-em all. Jeff

8. james25889

james25889 Member

i wait until there just about to land on the line you know when they start to backflap lol

9. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

We shoot one shot WAY above or below the line, they fly, they die. It is not that hard to get them to move for a flying shot. It costs a little extra unless you get caught, if you get caught, it costs a LOT more. Easy to do.

Mike

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

hippie, watch em close.. Sometimes they appear to be sitting but their feet are actually off the ground :)

11. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I had one practically sitting on my barrels, and I still missed him.

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

That's going to hurt, It can take many man hours to splice that cable if the conditioms are humid.

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Pilgrims!

Curt

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

It takes about 25 doves to feed a family of 5 if they are wrapped in bacon, and set in a pan of stove top stuffing, baked 350 degrees until golden brown.

Very Delicious.

Dr.longshot
    Gary Bryant

15. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

It doesn't hurt a powerline to get shot with a shotgun at a reasonable distance since the lines are made of bare aluminum and are very heavy.

The whole premise of this thread is silly since the hunters in question didn't shoot doves off a powerline, they shot doves off a fiber optic cable line. Obviously a fiber optic line which is made of glass isn't a good thing to shoot at.

16. EDGARMCM

EDGARMCM TS Member

This is nothing new. I remember back in the early forties when the Rural Electric was new that my dad got after a guy for shooting doves off of the power line down the road from our place.

17. willing

willing Member

If you scatter some grain and make a trail, you can lead them to a cage and then they will be easier to hit. You can even take them home and fatten them up before you shoot them.

Bill

18. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Little Dog:

Well, sort of....

Power lines vary in size, material, and how tough they are. A person is most likely to see doves and other birds on primary distribution lines, aka 'primary'. Primary is generally around 13,000 volts plus or minus.

Some primary is ACSR - aluminum conductor steel reinforced. Others are AAAC - all aluminum condutor. Then there's single conductor hard drawn copper and copperweld (two hard drawn copper conductors twisted together with a copper plated steel wire. Copperweld is very tough and very common in rural settings.

Spacer cable, aka Hendrix cable, aka tree wire) is not common in rural applications but is occasionally used in specific applications. It is in fact, insulated.

I've seen single conductor hard drawn copper in rural locations (you know, where someone might be dove hunting) as small as #8. Main lines near rural substations and/or supplying large agricultural power users is often 477 mcm which is BIG wire.

Between us girls, this is all more detail than anyone really needs to know. The bottom line is this: it's never a good idea to shoot at or toward any utility equipment - wires or otherwise - for any reason.

sissy

19. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Those who shoot doves off of wires are not hunters they are killers and should be delt with in the harshest manner.

Ronbo

20. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

some of these

some of these "hunters" should go to a gun club and shoot some clay targets and learn how to shoot a dove in flight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
can you shoot doves off power lines missouri
can you shoot doves off power lines with a shotgun

shooting doves off power lines

shooting doves on power lines
shooting power lines doves
what happens if you shoot down a power line
what is the law regarding shooting doves off a power line