1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do most of you shoot from......

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomc66, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomc66

tomc66 Member

Do most of you shoot from 16 yards? Where I shoot, we only have one field and it is set up to only shoot from 16 yards. I visited two other clubs this summer that had multiple fields and did not see anyone shooting from other than 16 yards.

2. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

I have seen many events shot from 16 yds...............Uncle Sam, Pa.

3. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

When practicing I shoot one or two rounds from the 16 then move back to my handicap yardage for a few more rounds. Pretty typical routine where I shoot.
    Sometimes others will then shoot a few 100 doubles to round out the night.
    By far most of the shooters will only shoot 16's though.

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

My home club tends to follow a 50 target format for practice with 25 singles and 25 handicap.

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

24.5 yards. Fred

6. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

That's where I was too Fred ..... years ago. I'd probably move up pretty fast if I started shooting again.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

40/60---16's to handicap.

8. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Many people don't really shoot practice, they just shoot. 16 yard "practice" generally yields better scores and that is what most people shoot for. If you practice handicap and doubles the 16 yard scores will automatically improve. I mostly shoot singles in practice, because that is what everyone else wants to shoot. We don't have another field with an automatic trap and voice release. Bill Malcolm

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

The demographics of a clubs clientèle will affect what is being shot. We are strictly a Trap club and many members shoot ATA.

16's are the feel good targets. That is what most club shooters will shoot 90% of the time. Anywhere from one to three fields will be set for 16's depending on number of shooters. when needed, we will set up a field for beginners to put the person(s) at ease and to keep the main 16 field(s) moving for members.

We always have one field set up for Handicap. ATA shooters use it the most.

Usually Doubles is also set up, and I would guess 98% of targets are shot by ATA shooters.

Don Verna

10. jhoward

jhoward Member

Other than extra concrete, how do you set up a field for handicap vs singles? Are the voice calls fixed in place? We only have 2 fields at our club, we usually use one for games and on for practice. But the shooters on the practice trap just decide whether they want singles or handicap and move the speakers accordingly.

11. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

I shoot doubles and handicap when I practice. Rarely do I shoot singles practice. My typical routine is 100 doubles and 75 handicap.

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

At some clubs it's hard to get anyone to practice handicap, especially long yardage...

13. KRK32

KRK32 Member

Most of the clubs we goto shoot long yardage ten birds and a couple have a 16 yd 25 yd calcuttas the 16s usually kill our score since we never shoot up there. Kirk

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

To shoot great singles scores takes dedication according to all the top shooters, I think it was Frank Little who said, "learn to shoot those well and it will improve your caps game as well". I have to agree with that too. Each target is very important whether your shooting on a full squad or shooting them alone. I try applying that mentality on practice or registered clays. Hap

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Practice from the 16 and for fun the 27

16. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Some 16s, Mostly from the 25-27 yd area.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.