1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do MEC reloads from a topped-off bottle shoot hot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by deadapair17, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadapair17

deadapair17 TS Member

I would think that a bottle that is "topped off" and/or "shaken down" might load light shells at first. The reason being, fluffy powder "packed down" will not flow free into the bottom of the bottle, let alone into a bushing. It would flow much better if it were loose.

Other powders, not fluffy, probrably, not be affected much. Why not just weigh some powder drops, and then you will know.

Thanks, Don

2. dimapower

dimapower Member

3. Don S

Don S Member

I have measured loads every where from the bottle. As the bottle runs down the loads get ever so slighty smaller. I do use a baffle.

4. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Myself I like and put a powder baffle on all my loader I use and sell, you get a more consistent powder drops regardless of how full the bottle is.

thanks
    lee
    [​IMG]

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It might vary a bit, depending on the powder and how smoothly you operate the press. With the powders I use, it seems insignificant. I also don't let the powder bottle go much below halfway and I DON'T use a baffle. I don't believe in fixing something that isn't broken. Does a baffle work? The jury is out on that one. Can powder bridge in the baffle and stop flowing? You Betcha! Main reason I don't use a baffle is that I used to use one. Gave them away to someone I didn't like. If it really worries you, try weighing your drops every ten shells or so and see if it shows a pattern of movement. The couple of tenths of variation I've seen really doesn't make much difference over a chronograph.

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Having often thought about this and having reloaded centerfire cartridges for Benchrest type rifle I did a lot of experimenting. On a MEC grabber, there is more charge weight variance with large flake powders at any fill level than with smaller flake powders. This was with or without a baffle. After repeated testing, I started using Titegroup pistol powder that I bought in large quantites, and never worried about variance again.

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I stopped reloading with Red Dot, because of the large flakes it has. It would vary alot by my scale. I now reload with Hodgdon Clays and find it has very little variance's in weight, and I get a smooth and consistant softer feeling recoil with it, over the Red Dot I used to use. It just seemed to me that every 10 or so loads (Red Dot) I would get one that seemed kick a bit more and I noticed it, even though I did alot of checking with the powder scale and it was not the bushing or anything that I did, just the large flake powder. I only use the top half of the bottle and do not let it run down. I fill both bottles every l00 loads for better consistancy. Yours may vary, Good Luck and Break-em all. JEff

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have tested this question many times with consistent results. When I fill an empty bottle and tap the sides a few times, the first few shells are a little light. Then the powder charge becomes fairly consistent until the powder level drops below the baffle (this happens now and then when I am not watching as I should). I am now in the process of loading my handicap shells for next year. I am seeking a drop of 20.5 grains of Green Dot. When I started the first five drops were between 19.5 and 20.1 grains. Then the drops settled down to 20.3-20.5 grains and I began loading. I will load about 5,000 rounds for next year before I drain the bottles. One time, my powder hopper almost went empty. No powder was visible in the bottle, but luckily there was still some powder in the neck. The last shell that got a powder charge had 19.5 grains of Green Dot. In my PW, there is enough powder to load +-15 shells below the baffle. I filled the powder hopper again and kept on going.

Pat Ireland

9. 687EELL

687EELL TS Member

Birdog1964,

If you use the PC red baffle, you will not have to use any washers, as the red baffles spring loaded neck will fit right through the holes in the charge bar bracket, and if it don't, just file the opening up a little with a half round or round file, and the neckof the baffle will ride on the charge bar. If you measure the red baffle neck against the metal baffle neck, you will see what I mean. Plus the neck is longer on the red baffle. Those rubber and brass washers have caused more problems than they solved. Most people I know who use the washers that came with the MEC reloader, most times have to leave the powder and shot bottles a little loose. This is because the washer setup is too thick and stops the bar from going all the way back. Let me know what you find out. Plus The bridging is more than likely caused by humidity, or static electricity.................Rick Johnson

10. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I don't think shot weight changes no matter the amount of weight in compressing on the charge bar. Since a loading press dispenses a given volume of shot, instead of by weight, the volume should not change, given the denisty of the shot and the small amount held in a tall bottle. My RCBS holds a full bag of shot and I have seen a difference in weight in throws between a full or near empty bottle. Story might be different if the bottle was 6 feet tall and 2 feet in diameter.

As to powder. I believe MEC does not recommend powder baffles, even though other press manufacturers include them with their presses. The baffle most reloaders use in their MECs is not made by MEC and you would think if it was such a good idea, MEC would sell their own or include it with their loaders.

I don't think the small bottle makes much difference in compression of the powder. I have weighed powder straight from the bottle when full and when almost empty and see no difference in the throw. It might be a different story with a large bottle, but I never use a large bottle in a MEC. My PW has a powder baffle and my RCBS which holds a full pound of powder both have built in baffles, so the point is mute.

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Sportshot

Maybe you SHOULD weigh them on a scale and GET ambitious. You'll probably discover something.

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

All these people respectfully answered your question and you respond like that? Fill a bottle however you desire, weight every 5th charge from top to bottom. Record the results and graph them. The above posters represent 100's of thousands of rounds reloaded and 100's of years of shooting. Many of us started loading one at a time, hand weighing everything with no press at all. Teach use something new hotshot, but you have to use documented facts, not a bad attitude.

13. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Kind of makes me glad I didn't bother to answer you Sportshot. I will remember not to answer you in the future also.

14. Rick Barker

hoosier daddy......you should continue to post in spite of someones bad attitude, others can benifit from our shared experience. I live in Colorado and I am going to make an effort to seek out Sportshot and adivse everyone of his identity

15. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

Let's try this. Sportshot, I have a 366 and when I fill or add components I do the powder last. I believe the powder tube acts as a drop tube and will compress the powder even with a baffle. After a couple of loads It will be consistent. I do notice the first load after the fill has a slightly higher crimp.
    Pat Ireland's post states he taps the tube. I believe this fluffs the powder and as with me after a few loads it "settles" in.

Mike

16. Don S

Don S Member

The last load from the bottle (baffle) is usually light.

17. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I hope AveragEd comes along soon so I don't get baffled...

18. Rick Barker

Geez Sportshot, I was only kidding. Kinda touchy aren't ya?

19. Rick Barker

If you let the fools get to you, they won. Yes they are in power and you and I feel quite helpless. The American public who bears the brunt of the tax burden is going to have to figure out a way to shut off the flow. Without the money they take from us, they have no power and when they can't pass it on to the "havenots" the havenots will quit voting for them.

There was a real good reason when this country was created, that only male landowners were granted the right to vote. While that may sound elitst, and sexist, I don't care anymore. Between polititcal correctness, the chickafacation of the male species and Oprahism of the female, no one running for office in this country has to intellect or the fortitude to do what is necessary to put this country back on track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.