1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do-it-yourselfers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 686beretta, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Hello everyone,

I have a Hemi liscense plate, that started to rust from when the car was driven in the snow. This spring, I got motivated by a buddy to repaint the plate myself, I sanded it down and repainted it. After the fact my buddy informed me to use primer, just a little after the fact.

I pulled the plate off and have tried to sand it with 1000 grit paper, not having a lot of luck, what grit should I use to get the old paint and the pitting/rust off and try to do it the right way. OR would I be better off just buying a new plate?

I can supply any other info that may be needed.

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Acetone should get the old paint off. Steel wool for the rust. The primer should seal and fill the pits. If you are having that hard of a time with it I would probably say you used some pretty good paint and the primer isn't all that neccesary. If you sanded it, its too late now. Lay the acetone on thick with a rag, keep it wet, should come right off. Acetone evaporates quick. Wear some heavy rubber gloves or it will dry out your hands.

3. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Save time. Have it blasted. Shouldn't be more than $10 the get it clean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.